City transportation officials nix Sheridan Exp. removal option from study

image.jpg

The Bloomberg administration has quietly decided to oppose the closure of the Sheridan Expressway, sparking road rage among Bronx activists who want to replace it with parks and housing, they announced last week.

The city launched a multiagency study of the mile-long spur and surrounding neighborhoods in late 2010 after the state Department of Transportation said closing the aging Sheridan would push trucks onto local roads and snarl traffic thoughou

t the Bronx.

The administration vowed to review land-use issues and community concerns as well as traffic data and proposed three scenarios: remove, modify and retain.

But at a recent community meeting, city Department of Transportation officials sided with their state colleagues and killed the removal option, citing "fatal flaws" related to traffic.

The city will continue its Sheridan land-use review with just two options: modify and retain

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/bronx/city-transportation-officials-shock-bronx-activists-nix-sheridan-expressway-removal-option-study-article-1.1092343#ixzz1xUEFwIAe

good! Interstate 895 provided the acute angle connections from 95 north to 278 west adn vice versa that the bruckner interchange didnt offer. Its a good last chance to get off the cross bronx if traffic is really bad and use the Triboro (the real name of this bridge, not some stupid Kennedy) to get to Long Island.

This is good news! Even though, I still like an enhanced Greenway by I-895 NY, still it does not in any reason warrant for a removal of a vital artery that help traffic flow in the Bronx and improve connection from two awfully congested highways in the region, at the end it's a win-win situation. I applaud the city transportation's understanding on traffic flows and such and restoring confidence to motorists [including truckers and bus operators] that the city still recognize the usefulness of roads and highways. Long Live the Sheridan Expwy [i-895]!

Interstate 895 needs to stay. The most traffic that uses the Expressway is truck traffic, especially exiting the Cross Bronx to the Hunts Point area. Removing it would be a very dumb idea. It gives an option to those who want to connect with I95 and 278. On 177th Street (near the depot), there is tons of traffic going South AND North. Imagine it was gone... Drivers would be forced to use West Farms Road, Boston Road, Southern Blvd or the Bronx River Parkway to/from I278........ Some of which don't allow trucks and because the IRT EL under Boston Rd/Southern Blvd.

What the city CAN do is convert a portion of it to a Greenway for bikes and maybe peds. At least from Westchester Ave to Devoe /177th St end. It looks like it can work. Maybe they can even replace the I895 signs with I295. Extend the 295 along the Cross Bronx to 177th Street, make 177th Street I295 to the Sheridan and replace the 895 Corridor signage.

Kellie Terry-Sepulveda, executive director of The Point CDC, a local nonprofit, called the decision a severe disappointment.

Her group and other members of the Southern Bronx River Watershed Alliance want the administration to reconsider.

They argue the Sheridan pollutes local neighborhoods with diesel truck exhaust and blocks public access to the Bronx River.

This B**ch needs STFU. Its people like her we don't have the Mid-Manhattan Expressway. By not having an Expressway your causing more traffic on the local street which COULD cause much more accidents! I'll admit, the city wants people to use Mass Transit, but THERE ARE people who don't like Mass Transit. Even Mass Transit has its disadvantages!

For the Bronx River. TBH, what is there to see? You got the Corridor also on the other side of the highway duh... Theres nothing to see. If you want to see, go to the Park over at Westchester Ave near the Expressway. Thats good enough.

For that I'm considering to attend this meeting, where if its at!

Interstate 895 needs to stay. The most traffic that uses the Expressway is truck traffic, especially exiting the Cross Bronx to the Hunts Point area. Removing it would be a very dumb idea. It gives an option to those who want to connect with I95 and 278. On 177th Street (near the depot), there is tons of traffic going South AND North. Imagine it was gone... Drivers would be forced to use West Farms Road, Boston Road, Southern Blvd or the Bronx River Parkway to/from I278........ Some of which don't allow trucks and because the IRT EL under Boston Rd/Southern Blvd.

What the city CAN do is convert a portion of it to a Greenway for bikes and maybe peds. At least from Westchester Ave to Devoe /177th St end. It looks like it can work. Maybe they can even replace the I895 signs with I295. Extend the 295 along the Cross Bronx to 177th Street, make 177th Street I295 to the Sheridan and replace the 895 Corridor signage.

This B**ch needs STFU. Its people like her we don't have the Mid-Manhattan Expressway. By not having an Expressway your causing more traffic on the local street which COULD cause much more accidents! I'll admit, the city wants people to use Mass Transit, but THERE ARE people who don't like Mass Transit. Even Mass Transit has its disadvantages!

For the Bronx River. TBH, what is there to see? You got the Corridor also on the other side of the highway duh... Theres nothing to see. If you want to see, go to the Park over at Westchester Ave near the Expressway. Thats good enough.

For that I'm considering to attend this meeting, where if its at!

Maybe do a google search Mark. Or contact the local Community board that serves the Sheridan. Sorry beyond that no info on that meeting.

And I agree Mark on your "Compromise" idea you listed above. In this era it seems no one wants to compromise any more.

While the area residents have a right to descent air quality, you can't avoid noise or some population as they live in NYC.

IMO they better off screaming for better gas milage/exhaust from the trucks instead IMO.

They can easily just add in a bike path on the side separated by fencing and barriers to prevent people from getting on the road or throwing stuff at cars. Most of the Robert Moses era parkways in New York city had walking/bike paths along their entire lengths. They were all lost over the years due to road widening, however the Shore portion of the Belt Parkway still has them, so does the Laurelton section by that basketball court. On Long Island, Bethpage Parkway has a bike path its entire length, and the southern part of the Wantagh Parkway has bike paths. The Bronx parkways might have paths but I havent been on them much to know, Hutchison Parkway doesnt, I think the Bronx River Parkway does but in westchester only, and Ive never been on the Henry Hudson Parkway (Moshulu and Pelham dont count since they arent limted-access like the others)

Maybe do a google search Mark. Or contact the local Community board that serves the Sheridan. Sorry beyond that no info on that meeting.

And I agree Mark on your "Compromise" idea you listed above. In this era it seems no one wants to compromise any more.

While the area residents have a right to descent air quality, you can't avoid noise or some population as they live in NYC.

IMO they better off screaming for better gas milage/exhaust from the trucks instead IMO.

Yup, if you can't deal with the noise, pollution or whatever, move out. This is a City, what do you expect? The City isn't just Manhattan, its all four boroughs, EVEN IF theres houses around. We got hell already going on with traffic in Manhattan, now this?

I would really like to know if there is a plan for a meeting for studying way to fix Manhattans Traffic issue. I would soooooooooooooooo love to bring the Mid-Manhattan back the the table.

I will google it, thank you and add a link when found!

They can easily just add in a bike path on the side separated by fencing and barriers to prevent people from getting on the road or throwing stuff at cars. Most of the Robert Moses era parkways in New York city had walking/bike paths along their entire lengths. They were all lost over the years due to road widening, however the Shore portion of the Belt Parkway still has them, so does the Laurelton section by that basketball court. On Long Island, Bethpage Parkway has a bike path its entire length, and the southern part of the Wantagh Parkway has bike paths. The Bronx parkways might have paths but I havent been on them much to know, Hutchison Parkway doesnt, I think the Bronx River Parkway does but in westchester only, and Ive never been on the Henry Hudson Parkway (Moshulu and Pelham dont count since they arent limted-access like the others)

A Greenway is possible, you can close down a lane or something. Only thing is, they would need to reroute the Greenway, since there is an Interchange to the I95.

Yup, if you can't deal with the noise, pollution or whatever, move out. This is a City, what do you expect? The City isn't just Manhattan, its all four boroughs, EVEN IF theres houses around. We got hell already going on with traffic in Manhattan, now this?

I would really like to know if there is a plan for a meeting for studying way to fix Manhattans Traffic issue. I would soooooooooooooooo love to bring the Mid-Manhattan back the the table.

I will google it, thank you and add a link when found!

A Greenway is possible, you can close down a lane or something. Only thing is, they would need to reroute the Greenway, since there is an Interchange to the I95.

That last segment to E 177 St is already one lane in each direction. I can't see a greenway on a tiny segment of road will drastically transform that area or make any difference, theres other streets if people need to ride their bike so badly, such as West Farms Road or Bronx River Avenue.

• 4 weeks later...

Solution: Put trees along side the expressway.

But i'm glad 895 didn't die. It's an important connection, and would choke the Bronx with traffic if it closed. The 895 almost seems like the smallest child of the 95 cause its so small

Archived