Other Sports Thread 2012. I.e Soccer, Golf, Tennis, NASCAR, Boxing and WWE

Shortline Bus

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, just heard Serena won Wimbledon.... I wasn't all that happy though like I used to be when she would win tournaments.....

As for Federer moving on to the finals, so that's what happened (yeah, ESPN didn't bring up his grandfather's passing at all from what I've noticed) - Novak seemed rattled in that semifinal matchup.... I expected to see both players playin their 'A' game & that certainly did not happen.....

Federer vs Murray tomorrow..... Federer should win that in straights.....

Well as of this writing the Murray/Federer 2012 Mens Final is in a rain delay..(Unlike here in US this summer in London has been much cooler but that for another chat)Murray won the 1st and Federer the 2nd.

Well let see here. Roger just won the men's championship at Wimbledon. Not that i care lol but wondering if B35 wants to apologize to either Ms.Williams (Serena) or Mr. Federer? :P

This "surprise" Wimbledon win might have just sealed Federer as the best men's tennis player ever.

How on earth are tennis players ranked?

This link below should answer your question JW. At least it's not as controversial as say the US College Football system. I am sure B35 will also reply to the question.

"Amateur, college, and professional

tennis players are ranked according to a point system which is based on the number of tournaments they play, which tournaments they play (i.e., different venues have different points associated with them), and how well they play in a given match. For professional tennis players, the ATP (men's tour) and WTA (women's tour) are the governing bodies for player rankings; refer to the links, below, for up-to-date professional player rankings (n.b., the websites may change if/when the sponsorships change."

Read more: http://wiki.answers....d#ixzz2041GlPcM

In other words majority of the points needed for the world rankings in tennis(similar to golf)are made in the "4' Grand slams. i.e US Open,Wimbledon... French and Australia.

Yes, there is a points system which your rank is based on - factored into it, is how far you get in a tournament compared to the year prior...... if you don't match what you did the year prior, you lose points...... if you did better than you did the year prior, you gain points.....

Given the scenario right before wimbledon 2012 started:

Novak was #1, Nadal was #2, and Federer was #3...

Last year's wimbledon

- Novak won wimbledon

- Nadal made it to the finals, and lost to Novak...

- Federer lost in the quarter-finals to Tsonga.....

(Too many things had to go right for Feds to regain the #1 ranking.... and it did....)

This year's wimbledon:

- Novak lost in the semifinals, Nadal lost early in the 2nd round, and Federer won it all.....

(Novak lost points [because he went from winning last year, to only reaching the semi's this year]

Nadal lost points [because he went from making it to the finals last year, to only making it to the 2nd round]

Federer gained points [because he went from making it to the quarters last year, to winning it this year]

(in wimbledon)

1) Nadal did worse this year than Federer did last year.....

2) With Federer winning it this year & Nadal only getting as far as the 2nd round this year, these 2 factors is why Federer is as far ahead in points as he is now than Nadal......

Federer didn't pull too far ahead of Novak this year b/c Novak only dipped from winning the finals last year to losing in the semi's this year.... the difference b/w the finals & the semi's is only 1 round..... He (Novak) still lost a noticable amt. of points since he didn't win this year......

This is why the scenario after wimbledon 2012 is:

Federer's now #1, Novak's now #2, and Nadal's now #3...

Here's the hardcore numbers if anyone's interested:

* pre-2012 wimbledon: http://www.atpworldt...06.2012&r=1&c=#

* post-2012 wimbledon: http://www.atpworldt...07.2012&r=1&c=#

So like I said earlier, Feds is only ahead of Novak by 75 measly points.....For him to keep that #1 rank, Feds is gonna have to champ tournaments (even the non-majors) and Novak & Nadal are gonna have to keep stinkin from here on out...... That's not happening...... After the "big 3" in tennis, there is quite the dropoff in talent in the men's game (yes, this includes murray at #4, who Feds beat yesterday).... Novak or Nadal will champ at least 1 tournament this year after Wimbledon.....

Why on earth does Skip Bayless still have a job with ESPN? This dude had the nerve to say on live television that Tony Romo is a better QB than 2-time Super Bowl champ Eli Manning. I'm done with this clown.

Keep in mind before he joined ESPN Skip Bayless worked in Texas as lead sports columinst for the Dallas Morning News for years. So keep in mind Mr. Bayless may still be linked to the Cowboys. :lol:

FYI. "First Take" has become a stupid show. It's become 90% NBA since Stephen A. rejoined and 10% NFL/college footbal talk. There almost no coverage chat on MLB or any other sports. Not to mention even using the racial angel between Skip and Stephen A.

If i am Bud Selig, i consider ending my nearly 25 year relationship with ESPN for tv rights since it's become 4th on the coverage scale after 1)NFL 2)NBA 3)College Football 4)College Basketball.

I used to watch ESPN alot too.... They rarely ever cover baseball.... Is it just me or is the "top ten plays" are almost always from the NBA? Thank you MLB network for providing great MLB coverage...

They cover baseball, but their coverage outside of anything boston, anti-yankee, or any ongoing/lingering scandal/story, is weak.....

They cover baseball, but their coverage outside of anything boston, anti-yankee, or any ongoing/lingering scandal/story, is weak.....

LOL. True true.... If I remember correctly, Their main HQ is up in Massachusetts.... I know when ESPN started having "branch" websites for different cities, They did the Boston area first.... I was surprised that they did the NYC area too...

LOL. True true.... If I remember correctly, Their main HQ is up in Massachusetts.... I know when ESPN started having "branch" websites for different cities, They did the Boston area first.... I was surprised that they did the NYC area too...

Actually Bristol, Ct. (Hartford suburu)so yes that in middle Of Red Sox country.

B35 makes a good point. ESPN is like TMZ/Access Hollywood now. Its all about stars and controversials and no longer just showing the video highlights and summary of game highlights.

Outside of analyst Bret boone(he hit homer in now histroic game (7) ALCS vs. Red Sox) and native New Yorker and SC anchor Linda Cohn most of the ESPN analysts and anchors does seem to have a bias against the Yanks.

And just like the NBA if its not Miami Heat/Lebron, Lakers/Kobe, the Thunder and Blake Griffth, they rarely provide coverage for the other 26 other teams either. Not trying to sound racial but ESPN thinks their entire audience is the HIP HOP crowd ages 18-30, White, Black and Latino who are not as high on baseball as the NFL and NBA as those over age 30.

Pools and ratings do show that the NFL IS the most popular sport in America. Usually, the highest rated telecasts on ESPN each year are Monday Night Football games. I actually like the NFL coverage ESPN provides on Sunday NFL Countdown and the Sportscenter analysis afterwards with Boomer, TJ and John Saunders.

Pools and ratings do show that the NFL IS the most popular sport in America. Usually, the highest rated telecasts on ESPN each year are Monday Night Football games. I actually like the NFL coverage ESPN provides on Sunday NFL Countdown and the Sportscenter analysis afterwards with Boomer, TJ and John Saunders.

JW what nycfan was asking was not so much about nfl vs. mlb. He was asking even at height of MLB season now in early summer (trainning camps have not opened yet)is not gotten more coverage? Most of us sports fan already knows the NFL is most popular sport in America.

Plus JW You are a hardcore NFL fan and NYCfan is mainly a MLB fan. Keep that in mind.

JW what nycfan was asking was not so much about nfl vs. mlb. He was asking even at height of MLB season now in early summer (trainning camps have not opened yet)is not gotten more coverage? Most of us sports fan already knows the NFL is most popular sport in America.

Plus JW You are a hardcore NFL fan and NYCfan is mainly a MLB fan. Keep that in mind.

I think the poor baseball coverage from ESPN has to do with the NFL being so popular. They would rather cover the NFL year-round. I don't agree with it though. I like baseball as well even though i'm a big NFL fan. ESPN does have Baseball Tonight though most days baseball is played.

I think the poor baseball coverage from ESPN has to do with the NFL being so popular. They would rather cover the NFL year-round. I don't agree with it though. I like baseball as well even though i'm a big NFL fan. ESPN does have Baseball Tonight though most days baseball is played.

Don't forget the NBA my friend lol. Sometimes i wonder if the '3' major sports (sorry the NHL is another chat tv wise in US)is getting way too much coverage. ESPN forgets there now NBATV and NFL Network as well.

The MLB contract is up after next season in 2013. Just like the NHL MLB and Bud Selig, should consider leaving for the right price to expanded coverage on Turner/TBS & TNT or also join NBC sports net for their cable home.

If MLB was on NBC sports net, it would put them on map as a challenger to ESPN IMO. Plus MLB Network in alot of the country is not on basic cable tier. Having MLB would help to put NBC sports net on basic cable.

And i expect Fox to maintain as the national terristal tv home in US for world series and some regular season games.

Though ESPN might spite MLB if they lost the contract, ESPN has enough sports to cover to replace MLB now anyhow. NBA Finals now end in mid/late June and they have wibledon. It's only from Mid July to mid August they would miss MLB if baseball was on the rival cable channels.

Precisely. The Yanks are doing very well recently and where is the ESPN coverage? I'll tell you... Close to none because ESPN knows that the NFL and NBA in their eyes are better than the MLB...

I like NFL but I'm not a hardcore fan of it... MLB is more my thing. :)

By the way SB, I would give your post a like but ran out of likes.... Again...

From Aussie rules:

This has to be the strangest brain fades I've seen. What was even more laughable Judd got a free kick out of it. Why go out of your way to dislocate another players shoulder.

Jokes on him. The Match Review Panel has charged him with misconduct offence sent it straight to the Tribunal. You don't get sent there unless you've done somthing real bad.

Apprantly he was trying to prevent Adams from handballing. Chances of it coming out when he's sitting on it. Zilch.

This though is highlight of the round:

Not bad for a bloke who used to play rugby!

How far away is Tiger from Jack's record ?

Tiger as of this moment 7/22/12=14

Jack all time =18.

Again I think Tiger will win maybe at least 1-2 majors to come close. However i dont think he do it. remember Mr. Woods, is 37 and a golfer prime is between 25-35. Tiger has got only about 5-7 years left to have a realstic shot. In Golf, after age 45 it's about over. B35 or any one else will Tiger break the record? At his peak IMO, Tiger was Sandy Koufax/Micheal Jordan/Wayne Gretzy type maybe the best golfer ever.

Anybody see RAW's 1,000 Anniversary earlier tonight (now last night)? My favorite moments were: The full on DX Band coming back together. Then there was also the HHH/Lesnar confrontation, The Rock, The Legends, Lita, Trish Stephanie , B.O.D & the ending with Cena vs Punk.

One the most better Raw's I've seen thus far.

Archived