Other Sports Thread 2012. I.e Soccer, Golf, Tennis, NASCAR, Boxing and WWE

Shortline Bus

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some one ask me a question? What fool scheduled the 2012 PGA Golf Championship the same weekend as the final weekend of the summer Olympics?

I heard that the PGA did not want to "play dead" to the Summer Olympics, but the tournament was certainly overshadowed by the Summer Olympics.

I heard that the PGA did not want to "play dead" to the Summer Olympics, but the tournament was certainly overshadowed by the Summer Olympics.

I am a casual Golf fan who mainly only watches the 'golf' majors. Ditto for tennis. With that said, the PGA officals was still fools IMO for scheduling a major against an event like the Olympics that gets viewership(especially woman viewers) about the same as NFL playoff games or the Oscars/Grammys. Keep in mind in America tv wise nothing comes close to beating the super bowl, not the Olympics, FIFA soccer world cup, the Oscars/Grammys or the world series.

There was no reason to do so here. Should been played this coming weekend of 8/16-19/12.

Some one ask me a question? What fool scheduled the 2012 PGA Golf Championship the same weekend as the final weekend of the summer Olympics?

Pretty smart guy AFAIC..... since tiger's stinkin, no one's watchin golf like that anymore nowadays anyway.....

Yeah, that kid mcilroy won..... But FWIW, long as Tiger lost, I don't care.....

lol @ his excuse.... talkin about he was too relaxed & didn't play w/ the same intensity like he always does.....

What is with the (media) overblowing of the mental aspect of tennis & golf as of late......

Pretty smart guy AFAIC..... since tiger's stinkin, no one's watchin golf like that anymore nowadays anyway.....

Yeah, that kid mcilroy won..... But FWIW, long as Tiger lost, I don't care.....

lol @ his excuse.... talkin about he was too relaxed & didn't play w/ the same intensity like he always does.....

What is with the (media) overblowing of the mental aspect of tennis & golf as of late......

The PGA and gold estbliashment is fearful of that! No question Tiger is past his 2000-'08 peak and has made the pro golf industry billions i.e ticket sales to tv ratings. However the golf deseprate needs a new Tiger/Jack Nicholas "superstar' now. Or else it follow road of NASCAR would go back to days pre 1997 where it's a tour with an only small loyal following and fade.

The US Men's Soccer Team had a big win against Mexico last night. It is the first time the American men have ever defeated the Mexicans on Mexican soil, and it was against the team that won gold at the Olympics.

Dumb question? Was it for a world cup 2014 qualifer? Or a so called 'friendly' match? It's bueno the US won but not as big a deal if it's not for a world cup game.

Dumb question? Was it for a world cup 2014 qualifer? Or a so called 'friendly' match? It's bueno the US won but not as big a deal if it's not for a world cup game.

It's a friendly. It is however a big deal because the Americans never won against Mexico on Mexican soil. It is also a big deal because Mexico is just comming off Olympic Gold.

Well lance you busted.

image.jpg

Lance Armstrong confirmed Wednesday afternoon that he received a letter from the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency accusing him of doping and banning him from future competitions, beginning a formal process that could strip the cycling legend of his seven Tour de France titles.

Armstrong received the letter from USADA Tuesday notifying him that blood samples the organization collected from him in 2009 and 2010 were “fully consistent with blood manipulation including EPO use and/or blood transfusions,” the Washington Post first reported on its website.

Armstrong, who took up competitive triathlon after retiring from cycling in 2011, has consistently denied doping despite a growing mountain of circumstantial evidence that he used banned drugs and methods.

“I have been notified that USADA, an organization largely funded by taxpayer dollars but governed only by self-written rules, intends to again dredge up discredited allegations dating back more than 16 years to prevent me from competing as a triathlete and try and strip me of the seven Tour de France victories I earned,” Armstrong said in a statement. “These charges are baseless, motivated by spite and advanced through testimony bought and paid for by promises of anonymity and immunity.”

The action comes just months after a federal grand jury investigation overseen by prosecutors in the Central District of California was unexpectedly suspended without charges. The government gathered sworn testimony in that case linking the legendary cyclist to doping conspiracies.

USADA, a Colorado-based organization that monitors Olympic sports for doping, has been known to cooperate with federal agents in criminal litigation, including the litigation springing from the BALCO doping conspiracy. In the Armstrong case, USADA conducted its own investigation parallel to the federal one.

Read more: http://www.nydailyne...6#ixzz1xieFz1t3

lance-armstrong-stripped-titles.jpg

Disgraced cyclist Lance Armstrong will receive a lifetime ban from Olympic sports early Friday and be stripped of his record seven Tour de France titles after deciding to abandon his long fight against charges he led a sophisticated doping conspiracy throughout his career.

Armstrong announced Thursday night that he would disregard a midnight deadline the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency had given him to challenge the results of USADA’s two-year investigation of his legendary cycling teams, a probe that determined Armstrong used performance-enhancing drugs and blood transfusions.

“There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, ‘Enough is enough.’ For me, that time is now,” Armstrong said in a statement claiming he was the victim of a witch hunt. “The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for our foundation and on me leads me to where I am today - finished with this nonsense.”

Surrendering to USADA saves Armstrong from watching his former teammates testify against him in arbitration, but it leaves the iconic cancer survivor vulnerable to a tidal wave of legal claims from sponsors, promotion insurers and even the U.S. government, who are positioned to demand the return of tens of millions in sponsorship dollars.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more-sports/lance-armstrong-stripped-tour-de-france-titles-lifetime-ban-olympic-sports-drops-doping-appeal-article-1.1143295#ixzz24Qiig5kl

And what a joke by ESPN. They lead off the 1130pm sportscenter not on the armstrong story. Showing highlights of a warm up Cards-Titans NFL game shown of course on ESPN. Also keep in mind Lance Armstrong used to be ESPN "Boy" appearing in their sportscenter commericals.

Help! NBC Sports Net get started on a no holds bar national sports news show to compete with ESPN. :angry:

What the USADA has done to Lance Armstrong is nothing short of disgraceful. He has been tested for steroids throughout his entire career and has NEVER tested positive once. Furthermore, all of the proclaimed evidence of his steroid-taking came from hearsay. Where is the physical proof, USADA? And I don't mean proof from the faulty labs in France, either. REAL evidence. Test samples. Actual admissions from Armstrong himself.

Armstrong has battled a very hard battle, and I commend him for doing the tough thing and try to move on in his life. This was a very hard battle that has tired him completely. This was a clear cut witch hunt throughout, and I am thoroughly disgusted by how corrupt the sport government body and the USADA are. I hope you're proud of yourselves, because this crime by the government body is shameful.

I stopped watching bicycle races after Floyd Landis was found guilty of the doping, but the Armstrong saga guarantees that I will not watch bicycle races for the forseeable future. I don't care whether he's guilty. I'm just tired of the doping saga.

Ditto on that comment Q10. No matter on Armstrong allegled gulit or innocent the sport of cycling in America and much of the world may never recover from this.

The top 8 in the AFL is all but locked in and the AFL has released the schedule for week one of the Finals series.

This is how our finals system works:

http://en.wikipedia....L_finals_v2.png

1st Qualifying final:

Hawthorn vs Collingwood MCG (Friday Night)

2nd Qualifying final:

Adelaide vs Sydney AMMI Stadium (Saturday Afternoon)

2nd Elimination final:

Geelong vs Fremantle MCG (Saturday Night)

1st Elimination final:

West Coast vs North Melbourne Pattersons Stadium (Sunday Afternoon)

Hawthorn vs Collingwood should be a cracker. The others not as much. Being September I expect the Collywobbles to strike Collingwood.

He wasn't seen with the ice later on so I say he didn't do much damage. Unlike these two last sunday:

I was at the game a few rows away from it. I was wondering what the cheer squad was yelling at and noticed these two going at it. Everyone was getting up off the seats and giving Walker(The bloke in blue) and the umpire a spray. Not even bothering about the football which had just started. Walker lost out big time against our little pest Milne.

It was a rather spiteful game really. St Kilda got up with about 5 on the clock kicking about 4 while Carlton were absloutly spraying them everywhere. When the final siren went we won by 15.

It was nice to have the roof open at Docklands for a change.

In other sports news. presented by Bloomberg News. Murray(Men's) and Serena(woman) win their 2012 US Tennis Open titles. The US soccer team plays an important 2014 world cup match vs. Jamaica. While sadly in WWE News, Commenatator Jerry Lawler suffered a heart attack live on the air in Montreal. reactions?

Lawler had a heart attack on air? Wow... Get well soon Jerry "The King" Lawler...

Archived