Other Sports Thread 2012. I.e Soccer, Golf, Tennis, NASCAR, Boxing and WWE

Shortline Bus

Bro same argument can now be starting to be made for Serena and Venus as well to call it a career. I read somewhere that the Williams sisters are or near the highest grossing pro female sports stars of all time.(aka most money made)

IMO, Serena's been done ever since she made that booty shaking video.... Some would argue before that....

Difference b/w Serena & Federer is their respective love for the sport... Serena doesn't care about tennis anymore, whereas Roger still has something to prove.... and as I'm typing this, it just dawned on me... I remember him sayin something to the effect of, he still wants to play tennis to where his kid sees & remembers him playing professionally.... Personally, I think that's BS, but whatever......

....as far Venus, I think she still cares about playing tennis (a hell of a lot more than serena does anyway), but she also should shut it down; due to age, as well as being injury plagued....

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Two things I'll comment on, strange considering I barely watch basketball and boxing:

Basketball:

1) The Heat killed the Celts in the 4th quarter. The Celts had a chance, but they gave it away.

Boxing:

2) How the F*CK did Bradley win against Pacquiao? As much as I was rooting for Bradley, Pacquiao won it hands down. He won 11 rounds 10-9 (Bradley won 1 round 10-9). Pacquiao land the most punches. Pacquiao had the better percentage of throws landed, too. I don't understand how Pacquiao, with a score 119, lost to Bradley, score 109.

I did not see the fight (waiting for the replay on HBO in couple of days as paying $40-plus on PPV is a waste)but this is n ot a surpise. It been going on for years, It these decisions is what turns off alot of fans from boxing. That why many ppl. thinks sometimes some matches are fixed.

Guys a dumb question. I only follow soccer casually (i.e the EPL and world cup) so are the favorites in Euro '12 to win the tournment? I know this tournment after the world cup is among the most watched sporting events in the world. The Euro Tournment gets a worldwide tv viewership of at least 1 billion people. That more than the average viewership for the Olympics.

Well hard to say because it is early but the favs have to be Germany, Italy & Spain, even though Spain didn't capitalize on some prime chances today. Portugal may make some noise but they lost yesterday. France is sort of a mixed bag... Never know what to expect with them, but they've made some changes so we'll see... England always disappoints and the Netherlands losing to Denmark :huh:yesterday... LOL!! :lol: Also they'll be some Eastern European team that will make some noise. They don't have much a history per se in soccer, but they're getting better and better each tournament and becoming a real PITA to play.

How the F*CK did Bradley win against Pacquiao? As much as I was rooting for Bradley, Pacquiao won it hands down. He won 11 rounds 10-9 (Bradley won 1 round 10-9). Pacquiao land the most punches. Pacquiao had the better percentage of throws landed, too. I don't understand how Pacquiao, with a score 119, lost to Bradley, score 109.

Man this Sunday Morning/afternoon this Bradley "upset" win over Pacquiao is still getting huge replies on twitter/social media and espn. This controversial decison even took headline attention from Lebron going back to the NBA Finals. Here link from 1 news site.

Any other replies?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/10/timothy-bradley-decision-manny-pacquiao-fight_n_1584076.html#s=1076007

#thingsmorelegitthanboxing watching paint dry

fixt.

-----------------------------

Anyway, All that loss did is give Mayweather a reason to not wanna fight Pacquiao now......

The age old question I've had for a while is.... is Boxing is more "fixt" than the WWE (speaking of which)

In any event, Take a look at the scorecards of last night's fight:

e926edc9b47c9105b11fe489048e70a7.jpg

fixt.

-----------------------------

Anyway, All that loss did is give Mayweather a reason to not wanna fight Pacquiao now......

The age old question I've had for a while is.... is Boxing is more "fixt" than the WWE (speaking of which)

In any event, Take a look at the scorecards of last night's fight:

e926edc9b47c9105b11fe489048e70a7.jpg

And maybe they need Mr.MaGoo glasses to make their decisons on Bradley lol.

Seriously (although mostly negative)this is 1st time in several years, a major boxing title match has gotten this much "Buzz" and media attention.

And watch how these suckers woops i mean viewers lol who say to boycott boxing will be the 1st ones to buy Pacquiao/Bradley II on Pay Per view. In this era of social media, any form of media attention good or bad will create interest. And I would not be surprised more ppl. watching what is certain to be a rematch by late this year or early in 2013.

[media=]

[/media]

I didn't even know the New York Red Bulls existed until very recently

If you follow MLS soccer, they were oringally the New York/New Jersey Metro stars. They changed their name to the Red Bulls several years ago after the company of the same name brought the team. And one of the best soccer-only stadiums as well in America located in Harrison, NJ.

Well hard to say because it is early but the favs have to be Germany, Italy & Spain, even though Spain didn't capitalize on some prime chances today. Portugal may make some noise but they lost yesterday. France is sort of a mixed bag... Never know what to expect with them, but they've made some changes so we'll see... England always disappoints and the Netherlands losing to Denmark :huh:yesterday... LOL!! :lol: Also they'll be some Eastern European team that will make some noise. They don't have much a history per se in soccer, but they're getting better and better each tournament and becoming a real PITA to play.

My favorites for the Euro Cup are as follows....

• Germany

• Spain

• Netherlands (Scratch that)

I don't really consider Italy going far (sorry Via), because rankly, their team, although good, is sort the same players all over again, and they're aging. France, meh, I'm not sure what to think of. They have the team, but they aren't consistent, same with England...and how can the Netherlands lose to Denmark?!?!?! They had so many chances to try and then score some more....it was just mindblowing! Yeah, expecting some Eastern Countries to make some noise, but I still see the Western Powers dominating Euro.

image.jpg

Lance Armstrong confirmed Wednesday afternoon that he received a letter from the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency accusing him of doping and banning him from future competitions, beginning a formal process that could strip the cycling legend of his seven Tour de France titles.

Armstrong received the letter from USADA Tuesday notifying him that blood samples the organization collected from him in 2009 and 2010 were “fully consistent with blood manipulation including EPO use and/or blood transfusions,” the Washington Post first reported on its website.

Armstrong, who took up competitive triathlon after retiring from cycling in 2011, has consistently denied doping despite a growing mountain of circumstantial evidence that he used banned drugs and methods.

“I have been notified that USADA, an organization largely funded by taxpayer dollars but governed only by self-written rules, intends to again dredge up discredited allegations dating back more than 16 years to prevent me from competing as a triathlete and try and strip me of the seven Tour de France victories I earned,” Armstrong said in a statement. “These charges are baseless, motivated by spite and advanced through testimony bought and paid for by promises of anonymity and immunity.”

The action comes just months after a federal grand jury investigation overseen by prosecutors in the Central District of California was unexpectedly suspended without charges. The government gathered sworn testimony in that case linking the legendary cyclist to doping conspiracies.

USADA, a Colorado-based organization that monitors Olympic sports for doping, has been known to cooperate with federal agents in criminal litigation, including the litigation springing from the BALCO doping conspiracy. In the Armstrong case, USADA conducted its own investigation parallel to the federal one.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/i-team/usada-brings-formal-doping-charges-lance-armstrong-strip-7-tour-de-france-titles-article-1.1095146#ixzz1xieFz1t3

I was just about to post about Euro 2012. It is mad hype over here in Europe. I am hoping to see an England-Germany, or Spain-Germany Finals. Fernando Torres haters can hop off now, leading Spain yesterday with 2 goals. I am liking the Özil, Gomez, Schweinstiger combination, and I hope to see them win the Europa. And lmao about the game today with France and Ukraine, everyone was cheering when the match was postponed.

I can't get hyped for soccer. I only watched the World Cup because of the popularity and I wanted to practice my play-by-play for soccer. If I ever get into the sports announcing thing I would like to do any and every sport possible (except for golf). Other than that I can't get into a sport where the ball is being kicked (or dribbled as they say) around the field and 3-2 is a high score. I'll pass on the Euro 2012. The only sport other than the Big 4 i'll tolerate is tennis being that most of the matches are shown on ESPN early in the day (i'm a morning person) and one of my best friends plays tennis so she got me into it.

I can't get hyped for soccer. I only watched the World Cup because of the popularity and I wanted to practice my play-by-play for soccer. If I ever get into the sports announcing thing I would like to do any and every sport possible (except for golf). Other than that I can't get into a sport where the ball is being kicked (or dribbled as they say) around the field and 3-2 is a high score. I'll pass on the Euro 2012. The only sport other than the Big 4 i'll tolerate is tennis being that most of the matches are shown on ESPN early in the day (i'm a morning person) and one of my best friends plays tennis so she got me into it.

As i told you *Not sure you like to take advice JW, is try getting in the "door" other ways such as being a statitican for instance first. That how Mike Francesa broke into the industry. Play-Play jobs are very hard to come by honestly. There other jobs in the sports broadcasting industry as well. Again not trying to burst your bubble and puruse your dreams. However be prepared for stiff competations.

As i told you *Not sure you like to take advice JW, is try getting in the "door" other ways such as being a statitican for instance first. That how Mike Francesa broke into the industry. Play-Play jobs are very hard to come by honestly. There other jobs in the sports broadcasting industry as well. Again not trying to burst your bubble and puruse your dreams. However be prepared for stiff competations.

Being that i'll be studying statistics in college i'll surely think about that.

On almost any other day, this would be the lead story as biggest sports news in America. However with the lastround of the US Golf Open and game (3) of NBA finals it could be overshadowed.

Dale Earnhardt won 1st NASCASR race since 2008 at the Quicken Loans 400 in Mich.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/motor/nascar/story/2012-06-17/Dale-Earnhardt-Jr-snaps-143-race-drought/55654266/1

I'll watch soccer on occasion, but I can't really get into it like I can w/ other sports..... Tennis I'll only watch if the top men's players, or players I heard of, are playing (women's tennis though, forget about it)..... Motor sports I'll watch; don't care if it's NASCAR, IndyCar, F1, Drag Racing, etc. (I tend to favor open wheel racing though)..... Golf I'll watch on occasion also (mainly to root against tiger woods)...... WWE I haven't watched in years.... Boxing, eh, I'll only watch certain main event/big name fights/fighters..... MMA I stopped following/watching, no real reason....

Not gonna talk about bowling, lacrosse, horse racing, badminton, jai alai, etc.....

Archived