BoltBus eyes Manhattan to Riverhead service, to begin as soon as this fall.

2012_0620_bolt_bus.jpg

BoltBus, the discount bus service connecting New York with Philadelphia, Boston, Baltimore and Washington D.C., is eyeing the Long Island market for a new bus line to run between Manhattan and Riverhead, RiverheadLOCAL has learned.

BoltBus, which expanded its operations into the Pacific Northwest this spring, is in discussions with Hampton Luxury Liner on the new Long Island service, which will also stop in Ronkonkoma, according to Michael Schoolman of Hampton Luxury Liner. Schoolman's company already operates business class coaches on the South Fork and wine tours on the North Fork.

Source Link /// Read More: http://www.riverheadlocal.com/local-news/5985-boltbus-eyes-ny-to-riverhead-service-as-soon-as-this-fall

That cool for ppl. of the easten end of LI. They might as well also run to the Hamptons and Montauk since they in Riverhead. With that said,not to trying off topic but IMO Bolt Bus should also consider expanding to upstate ny i.e Albany and even Canada i.e Montreal and Toronto as well. Greyhound and Trailways is not that cheap and we all know Mega Bus/Coach USA.

That cool for ppl. of the easten end of LI. They might as well also run to the Hamptons and Montauk since they in Riverhead. With that said,not to trying off topic but IMO Bolt Bus should also consider expanding to upstate ny i.e Albany and even Canada i.e Montreal and Toronto as well. Greyhound and Trailways is not that cheap and we all know Mega Bus/Coach USA.

I beg to differ megabus goes to albany. Plus greyhound isn't as expensive as they used to be a one way to buffalo from NYC is a measly $46 one way sometimes its cheaper than megabus. However I think megabus needs to come to LI especially their LI southern tier service needs to become a megabus service. Trailways/Greyhound has became MUCH CHEAPER over these past years. Those expensive tickets from the late 90s won't come back anytime soon.

Greyhound and Trailways run pretty full now with their prices between Toronto and NYC, why drop prices if you dont have too!

• 3 weeks later...

Service across the International Boundary is still regulated. Carriers have a long and arduous battle to gain access to that market, as Adirondack Trailways found out in the late '80's and early '90's, before finally getting to join Greyhound into Montreal. Now Megabus is trying.

Trans-border at Buffalo and Niagara Falls has had multi-carriers a lot longer....Gray Coach Lines, Canada Coach Lines, Eastern Canadian Greyhound Lines.....evolving into Greyhound Lines of Canada, and Trentway-Wager (Coach Canada/Megabus)...

Service across the International Boundary is still regulated. Carriers have a long and arduous battle to gain access to that market, as Adirondack Trailways found out in the late '80's and early '90's, before finally getting to join Greyhound into Montreal. Now Megabus is trying.

Trans-border at Buffalo and Niagara Falls has had multi-carriers a lot longer....Gray Coach Lines, Canada Coach Lines, Eastern Canadian Greyhound Lines.....evolving into Greyhound Lines of Canada, and Trentway-Wager (Coach Canada/Megabus)...

Explain Bolt Bus service from Vancouver BC to Portland OR then? Also what was left of Grey Coach Lines was sold to StageCoach in the early 90's from the City of Toronto (TTC).

Explain Bolt Bus service from Vancouver BC to Portland OR then? Also what was left of Grey Coach Lines was sold to StageCoach in the early 90's from the City of Toronto (TTC).

If you look at the 'fine print' on the baggage doors of Bolt Bus, you will find that it is owned and operated by Greyhound Lines, Dallas, Tx... So they are a 'division of Greyhound Lines, and operate on their certificate.

Gray Coach Lines was sold by its former owner, the Toronto Transit Commission, to Greyhound Lines of Canada. What was sold to Stagecoach subsidiary Trentway-Wager, dba Coach Canada, was part of the former Voyageur Colonial---the route from Toronto via Kingston to Montreal. Greyhound Lines of Canada got the other part of Voyageur Colonial from Toronto via Ottawa to Montreal....

I would be surprised to see Bolt enter the NYC to eastern Long Island market.

As noted, there is already service provided by Hampton Jitney, Hampton Luxury Liner, and the Long Island Rail Road.

Why would Hampton Luxury Liner want to 'hook-up' with Bolt? They can handle that market on their own.

The primary mission of Bolt is to fight the fierce battle against cut-throat, low cost operators that run from curbsides in Chinatown and other locales to other major cities as well as Megabus in order to preserve some of the market share of the 'legacy' carriers. I don't see this as fitting into that business model.....

If you look at the 'fine print' on the baggage doors of Bolt Bus, you will find that it is owned and operated by Greyhound Lines, Dallas, Tx... So they are a 'division of Greyhound Lines, and operate on their certificate.

Gray Coach Lines was sold by its former owner, the Toronto Transit Commission, to Greyhound Lines of Canada. What was sold to Stagecoach subsidiary Trentway-Wager, dba Coach Canada, was part of the former Voyageur Colonial---the route from Toronto via Kingston to Montreal. Greyhound Lines of Canada got the other part of Voyageur Colonial from Toronto via Ottawa to Montreal....

in 1990 TTC sold Grey Coach to Stagecoach (this was before there was a Coach USA or a Coach Canada). Stagecoach sold Crey Coach to Greyhound Canada in 1993.

http://cptdb.ca/wiki/index.php?title=Gray_Coach_Lines

Also same can be said about Bolt Bus Northeast!

I wasn't aware of the fact that Stagecoach briefly owned Gray Coach....a real surprise to learn of that, thanks for pointing that out. I wonder why they then resold it? Then they acquired Trentway?!

As for Bolt, what about it has anything to do with Stagecoach?

I wasn't aware of the fact that Stagecoach briefly owned Gray Coach....a real surprise to learn of that, thanks for pointing that out. I wonder why they then resold it? Then they acquired Trentway?!

As for Bolt, what about it has anything to do with Stagecoach?

After they sold Gray Coach they didnt own anything in North America for a while before they started buy Coach USA and Trentway. As for Bolt im saying is all the buses say operated by Greyhound so they could do a Toronto to NYC or Montreal to NYC if they wanted too.

Archived