Turnover ratio - MTA Bus vs NYC Transit Bus

Via Garibaldi 8

Today I had two newbies on the BxM18... Two black ladies... Both were moving too... I think Yonkers may have the most females B/Os that I've had over the years... Anywho, I notice a lot more newbies on the (MTA) Bus express bus routes and I was wondering how turnover is overall? Do B/Os quit a lot or what's the deal? I always got the impression that B/Os like their jobs, but maybe I thought wrong??

The summer pick started yesterday IINM, which means basically all around the system drivers got new lines / new times except for the most senior of them all. Your regular driver probably picked into a different run now, get used to these two!

Nah, Yonkers moves drivers around like crazy. Only a few buses I get have regulars... The last BxM18 of the morning and one BxM1. Other than that they switch all the time, but I switch more than they do... lol Anyway, back to my original question..

it might be that the runs were never picked and the extras are covering them. Also this is the time of year when the senior operators use there vacation time so they might be off for a few weeks at a time. Thats why you might see a revovling door effect with operators. Next time take a look at the badge numbers. if they are lower then 52000 then they have more than 4 1/2 years on the job.(This is how i gauge bus operator senority anyone with a higher number then me is less senior) Im around the number that i mentioned. Hey why not start a conversation up with the operator, i know sometimes im just dieing to shoot the sh!t with anyone.

it might be that the runs were never picked and the extras are covering them. Also this is the time of year when the senior operators use there vacation time so they might be off for a few weeks at a time. Thats why you might see a revovling door effect with operators. Next time take a look at the badge numbers. if they are lower then 52000 then they have more than 4 1/2 years on the job.(This is how i gauge bus operator senority anyone with a higher number then me is less senior) Im around the number that i mentioned. Hey why not start a conversation up with the operator, i know sometimes im just dieing to shoot the sh!t with anyone.

Nah, Yonkers likes to switch them up a lot. I've even heard "regular" on the Riverdale express buses talking about this. Aside from that I can tell the newbies from the old timers. I've been riding express buses long enough to know. Same thing with the local buses too... The newbies tend to be adhere to the details more. :lol: I think it's so cute when some B/Os on the Riverdale buses tell all of us adults to stay seated until the bus comes to a full stop. I understand the reason why and all, but really now. You do have to chuckle... Big grow ups being told to stay in their seats. Makes me feel like a toddler all over again.

As for the part I put in bold that's not a bad idea though, I don't usually look at the badge numbers this way they don't feel uncomfortable and some B/Os don't like showing it anyway if possible.

As for starting conversations with B/Os, I've actually had B/Os start conversations with me back in the day. I had a local bus driver in Brooklyn I used to catch (Puerto Rican guy) at night. I go to sit down in the one seater one night and I've got my earbuds on and he said something and we started up a convo and then he said come to the front, so I became a regular on his bus for a while and we'd shoot the breeze and chat each other up. I think it's a vibe thing though. Now that I'm a bit older now and generally use the express bus and I don't sit in the front because of personal preferences. On the local buses, the front of the buses generally don't offer much leg room, plus the low floor buses are further away from the B/O.

I always thought that the drivers were just like maintenance. They retire in bunches because they get hired in bunches...

lol... That's a big possibility... Speaking of which I was wondering... It seems like I've been hearing about more and more drivers being hired and I'm thinking why the need for so many when they've cut service so much?? :huh: I wonder at what age they usually retire because my uncle has been going strong for over 20 years and he's in his 50s now.

lol... That's a big possibility... Speaking of which I was wondering... It seems like I've been hearing about more and more drivers being hired and I'm thinking why the need for so many when they've cut service so much?? :huh: I wonder at what age they usually retire because my uncle has been going strong for over 20 years and he's in his 50s now.

Transit is 25 years of service and 55 years of age. MTA bus is $100 per year of service. Someone with 30 years would bring $3000 before taxes.

Archived