Unified fare system?

metsfan

Universal interstate transit pass.....  

1. 1. Universal interstate transit pass.....

• Good idea..
    • Bad idea..
    • Nice idea but needs more thought..
    • I may have a better idea (post your idea)

I think (MTA) and (NJT) need to team up (maybe with PATH also) to provide a unified fare system so people can use local bus, off peak (or for additional fee peak also) train, bus or light rail across the entire PATH/(MTA)/(NJT) served area. Maybe even bring SEPTA in on it, because they connect to (NJT) in several places. It would allow people to travel between any point served by all 4 entities with a single pass or card or ticket. I think this would be especially helpful to people who do this several times a week. Imagine being able to travel from ANYWHERE across all 4 systems to ANYWHERE else.... I think this would take a few cars off the road and allow people to explore 5 different states with a single ticket/pass. Instead of having a pass from A to B, you could have a universal pass that deducted from an account be it credit debit checking etc, or have it be pre-paid & the balance can be added to at any time like a metrocard. It could be called "interstate transit pass" and also have a version for businesses, college, and grade school students.

What do you guys think?

- Andy

I think they are already trying to do this.

From Wikipedia:

In 2006 the MTA and Port Authority announced plans to replace the Metrocard with smart cards....

The New York City subway and bus network will eventually use this same technology. A consortium of New York metropolitan transit agencies, including the Port Authority and New Jersey Transit, will test different versions and introduce a single standard. In the future all New York City area transit systems will use the same "contactless" payment system.[citation needed]

That is a bad idea. The reason why I think so, is the economies are different in each state. Some TA's are doing fine with a $1 fare, while others need substantially higher fares. It's all about the cost of living. In New York it's sky high, like the sky-scrapers. Out in States people forgot exist, it's incredibly low.....

Now if you mean a universal card and farebox for all TA's, well then that is different. Problem is this could result in a monopoly on who does this, but then again they could get a standard farebox, made by different manufacturers. They did this with the NTT Trains.......Somewhat.......

That is a bad idea. The reason why I think so, is the economies are different in each state. Some TA's are doing fine with a $1 fare, while others need substantially higher fares. It's all about the cost of living. In New York it's sky high, like the sky-scrapers. Out in States people forgot exist, it's incredibly low.....

Now if you mean a universal card and farebox for all TA's, well then that is different. Problem is this could result in a monopoly on who does this, but then again they could get a standard farebox, made by different manufacturers. They did this with the NTT Trains.......Somewhat.......

This would not be instead of a metrocard etc, but be compatible with current fare control implementations. Ticket collectors could have a magnetic stripe reader, and smart card readers could use the RFID smart chip at PATH turnstiles. You could have different colors based on if it's allowed to be used during peak times, or other restrictions. People could specify if they want it to draw on a CC or other account if the balance gets low till they can re-fill so people don't get stuck places, or just use the balance alloted to the pass. It could be a solid color with different shaped edges (curved, flat, square notch, triangle notch) for sight impaired folks and ease of identification for all involved including the TVM scanners. The colors would only matter to the bus driver, TVM and ticket collectors, not automated turnstiles, it would either accept or reject based on the fare either RFID smartchip or the magnetic strip.

As for fares being different, it would follow all fares by location, or if you wanted to make it more custom, you could have specified location/peak hour type passes that followed the local fare, but also followed disabled fares, student fares, and promo fares. All you'd have to do is have the magnetic strip have the little smartchip enabled section for this to work, so the card can store all of the info. and be updated by the scanners.

Another idea, is that it could work for PA airtrain and airport busses.

This way you could do (MTA)PATH(NJT)(SEPTA) with your pass, save time and not worry so much about tickets etc.

- Andy

You'd be asking alot of (SEPTA). They couldn't even keep TWMs working right and then have the gall to charge a higher fare for an on-board purchase when there is no other choice. Also (NJT)'s fare zones make things a bit harder.

If we unite (SEPTA) SEPTA (MTA) MTA (NJT) New Jersey Transit and PATH services, then one company has to take control of all of them. Universal passes are great, because you have free transfers to different transit systems. I really like this idea. I can think of one example. A free transfer between PATH trains and (:D(D)(F)(N)(Q)(R)(V) and (W) at 34th Street Herald Square would be nice. It would help the riders a lot, but it would hurt the Port Authority Transit and the (MTA) a bit because they would receive less fare money if a free transfer was available between the two services, since they operate independently.

This should be a good idea, but we should consider how each transit company makes its profits and figure out how the merger would benefit all four and hope there isn't a reduction in the money these transit systems need.

I use to like this idea, but then realize a few flaws and how difficult it would be for certain situations. Now, SmartCard between the MTA and PATH is smart, but not all that smart. They'll have to work together without the free transfer between PATH and subway/bus. They'll lose money with a free transfer between the two, and also you'll be screwing up the fare for PATH making it higher than what its suppose to be.

Don't talk of fare prices btw, they might hear you.....

Well what about just a universal fare collecting system between everyone? Just like DOB said. Each transit system keeps its own fare, but everyone uses the same card to get in. The only problem I see with this is distance based fares, but otherwise it should work. I would recommend smart chip cards for this.

The money would go to each respective transit entity as it is utilized by passenger. All fares would be respected. If you go farther, you get charged more. You tell the ticket taker where you're going, swipes the pass, gives back to you. If you stay on the train (MNRR,LIRR,(SEPTA) and (NJT) rail/light rail) longer than your authorized request, you get charged more. It wouldn't be unified FARE, just save on having to buy tickets & wait in line etc with a unified PASS. On board vs buy before boarding is simple, since you bought the pass before boarding, you pay that fare. Only the TVM's have the passes for purchase. There could be an oversight/management panel made up of board members from each transit entity to implement & enforce policy & such. This would not change the cost of traveling in any way, simply streamline the travel process. No free transfers between systems. Imagine not having to buy 4 tickets to go from center city philladelphia(SEPTA), to newark(NJT), to exchange place(PATH) to newport mall(NJT). One pass, that gets charged each fare as if it were a standard ticket on each leg of your trip. You'd no longer have to worry about keeping track of several tickets, unless you wanted to.

- Andy

I can't tell you how many times i've missed trains having to get a ticket or seen it happen to others. Now with this system you simply show up, get on board, go where you want to go, and never worry about ticket purchasing a standard ticket again if you want to. Of course you could still have the current list of systems in place, and still opt for purchasing a (MTA)metrocard, (SEPTA)anywhere pass, (NJT) rail pass/ticket etc. This would be targeted at people who don't want to have to carry cash for (SEPTA) at trenton, or need to run to catch a (NJT) train at nyp or even newark. I would estimate that 25% of commuters in the region would use such a card, more once the ESA and THE tunnel are completed, especially if THE tunnel gets an extension to GCT and other expansion projects are completed.

- Andy

Archived