Preparations for ADA Accessibility at Kingsbridge Road IND

I took eleven photos with my iPhone of what I felt were interesting developments at Kingsbridge Road IND station. The station is set to become ADA-compliant by July 2014; the preparations are well under way!

Here's a preview (apologies for the size; for some reason all my attempts at resizing the image in my post have failed):

92179c70.jpg

You can view the rest in my latest blog post! Enjoy!

can you catch the company doing the elevator

The second to last pic in my blog post has some contractor info, though I don't know if that contractor is responsible for the elevators...

Nice, an IND Concourse Line station not named 161 Street Yankee Stadium getting ADA.

Indeed, this is nice. Also, Bedford Park Blvd IND will receive ADA accessibility soon; it's on MTA's list of "key" stations...

Elevator placement in some locations is rather annoying as some of them crowd the sidewalk too much, although it is more difficult at el stations than at subway stations. 231 St/Broadway is a real stinker for this if you are entering from the west side of Broadway on the south side of 231 and are trying to run to catch the train when there are a few people right in the area. Hopefully they do not botch future stations in the same way, but on the Concourse it should be less of an issue since everything is underground..I hope.

I wonder why the Fordham Road station isn't getting elevators cause as busy as it is, it really needs it.

I'm wondering the same thing. Plenty of space to incorporate such with the extremely large s/b plat and mezzanine (plus the n/w mezz that methinks should be...you know, I've said it many times already. Rehab the whole station, reopen the n/w mezz, reopen the passage between the express and local tracks on the s/b plat north end, make it ADA, etc. etc.) Of course, since the station's overall profile is larger than that of Kingsbridge, such a project would probably be more costly. Also, they made Fordham IRT ADA, so I guess the plan is to distribute locations of ADA accessibility for the "key" stations.

That explains why I saw this about 2 weeks ago there. But I wouldn't have picked Kingsbridge, I would of used Fordham, where its much more busier.

BTW this thread should be moved, as this is a discussion it looks like it.

Archived