MTA Metro-North Railroad to Test Smartphone Ticketing This Summer

mark1447

As of right now, only ONE WAY tickets are sold on board the train on a cash only basis. No round trip, ten trip, weeklies, monthies or city tickets.

When a ticket is purchased on the train an average of $6.00 is added to the cost of the ticket than if you were to buy it in a TVM or ticket office.

As of right now, only ONE WAY tickets are sold on board the train on a cash only basis. No round trip, ten trip, weeklies, monthies or city tickets.

When a ticket is purchased on the train an average of $6.00 is added to the cost of the ticket than if you were to buy it in a TVM or ticket office.

Keep in mind this "surcharge" is only waived if a rider has a special metrocard id for seniors(age 65 & up) and also disabled riders.

Keep in mind this "surcharge" is only waived if a rider has a special metrocard id for seniors(age 65 & up) and also disabled riders.

There are a number of reasons the conductor can waive the surcharge per the Metro North Revenue Manual:

-Senior with proper ID

-Disabled individual with proper ID

-Anyone transfering from the Shore Line East connecting to a Metro North train.

-An Amtrak interline transfer

Proper ID for seniors are medicare card, drivers licence, birth certificate, MTA reduced fare metrocard and US passport

Proper ID for disabled are MTA reduced fare metrocard or a medicare card issued by US Social Security Administration or the Railroad Retirement Board.

True. But maybe in the future, there will be some way of doing both. I mean, they had some kind of pilot program where you could tap a credit card on the farebox/turnstile and it would charge you and let you through, so in a few years, it might no be an issue.

In any case, it can't hurt to have the extra option of buying it on your phone.

at the non elevated stations, wouldnt you be able to scam that easily by simply walking the tracks and climbing on the platform? or did an important part of it just fly over my head?

at the non elevated stations, wouldnt you be able to scam that easily by simply walking the tracks and climbing on the platform? or did an important part of it just fly over my head?

Uh, did I say it would be for the Metro-North? No, I just said it was for the subways..... <_< I said you could buy it on the phone for the MNRR.

Geez, for a new member, you sure have an attitude.....

Uh, did I say it would be for the Metro-North? No, I just said it was for the subways..... <_< I said you could buy it on the phone for the MNRR.

Geez, for a new member, you sure have an attitude.....

I wasnt trying too give an attitude, sorry if it seemed that way. I thought u were implying that the subway turnstyles would become part of the railroad along with the smartphones or something, my fault for reading incorrectly.

Archived