Experiences with united airlines?

I'm just wondering what's your experience with this company for me, it was absolutely awful last week I went on a trip to costa rica, this was also my first time flying we started in Ottawa on a embraer 145 where the flight attendant was extremely rude and did not give off a friendly customer service attitude you would expect. Our plane arrived in Newark, and I must say passing over the two cities new York being the other was absolutely breathtaking at how beautiful the cities are. Anyways on our second flight we have ex continental 737 which wasn't that bad just a very rough landing in what seemed to be perfect weather In Liberia

Now here is what really disturbed me.

On the way back united airlines overbooked by 13 people which delayed the flight 25 minutes while trying to sort everything out, the flight itself wasn't bad until the end I'm not sure if this is normal policy but the engines on the plane literally turned off for a good hour while on approach to Newark then at the last minute the engines went on full power and again a rough landing. The plane landed although safely and only 5 minutes late united airlines only gave us a hour to go through customs and naturally that was not enough time to catch our connecting flight home so naturally we missed it as united refused to hold the plane any longer then 10 minutes so it left 19 people short ( there was a group of us ) so we ended up waiting in Newark 8 hours for the next mornings first flight which made a unspecified landing in Gatineau Quebec where we had to bus to Ottawa. They didn't say why it landed in Gatineau which is somewhat disturbing

I'm just wondering has anyone had a experience like this with UA?

Why should an airline hold back a plane to delay even more people? Thats why they put you on the next flight free of charge. Also you should give your self at least 90-120 mins for a connection flight when you have to go through customs.

Again, it's better to leave some room for connecting flights, plane travel is not like bus, train and such. I've learned my lessons on American and Delta on two different occasions and also, flying to Gatineau is just like flying to JFK instead of Newark Liberty Airport, as long as it's in the same "metro area".

I agree with holding the plane for a extended time being unnecessary but my only issue was the fact that UA only gave us 35 scheduled minutes to go through customs and the plane we were taking home we were the only customers on board the aircraft, I was just overall not impressed With their service especially from their employees I hope it was just a one time event

I agree with holding the plane for a extended time being unnecessary but my only issue was the fact that UA only gave us 35 scheduled minutes to go through customs and the plane we were taking home we were the only customers on board the aircraft, I was just overall not impressed With their service especially from their employees I hope it was just a one time event

So why didnt you preplan your trip and times and book another flight that would have made the connection or even use another airline? Sounds like poor planning on your part. You knew you had to clear customs , you never know the time. It can be any where from 15 to 120 mins to go through customs.

Actually we didnt know about customs until we got to Liberia airport where officials told us we would be clearing customs in the unites states, the flight we took was also the only flight of the day out of Liberia, that was not poor planning on my part but on united airlines for not giving enough time to clear customs that was the only time frame we had or else we would of had to wait till 6:30am the next day for the next flight

Anyways has UA been this unorganized before the merge?

Archived