Port Washington parking Q. (7:09 or 7:39 am)

Shadow

Hello everyone.

I will be moving to Port Washington soon and would like to get some details about parking at the LIRR station. Ideally, I will be taking the 7:39 am train to penn. on occasion I will need to take the 7:09.

What time does the lirr parking lot fill up? And what is the busiest train during the peak rush hours (morning and night)

Any other info you can give me about the parking situation will be helpful

Thanks!

Hello everyone.

I will be moving to Port Washington soon and would like to get some details about parking at the LIRR station. Ideally, I will be taking the 7:39 am train to penn. on occasion I will need to take the 7:09.

What time does the lirr parking lot fill up? And what is the busiest train during the peak rush hours (morning and night)

Thanks!

my advice is this, wake up in the morning, pretend you are driving to the station in Port Washington and see what the parking situation is like around 8-9am. Thats how I evaluated the LIRR parking situation in my home station. Great Neck I know for a fact is VERY tough to get parking in the morning. The permits are expensive because the demand is very high. I remember driving to Port Washington station during the week and the lot was somewhat full in the afternoon, but I cant say for sure.

My advice, try to be there around 6:30 or so to make sure you have a space, You can always have a cup of cofee at the dunkin donuts near the station. See if you can walk to and from the station from the place you are buying, if you haven't bought a house, rented an apartment yet.

The station I use during the week, Bethpage has plenty of extra spots in the far lot, even at 10am or so.

Thanks for the input.

I unfortunately don't have time to do a "trial" run of the parking lot due to work schedule and time frame for move decision. Walking to the train station is not an option. Great idea, thanks for those suggestions.

Jimmy7train, do you use the port Washington train?

Hopefully there are some port Washington train riders on this forum that can shed some light on the parking / commuting situation. I need to get to penn station by 8:15/8:30

Thanks!

Thanks for the input.

I unfortunately don't have time to do a "trial" run of the parking lot due to work schedule and time frame for move decision. Walking to the train station is not an option. Great idea, thanks for those suggestions.

Jimmy7train, do you use the port Washington train?

Hopefully there are some port Washington train riders on this forum that can shed some light on the parking / commuting situation. I need to get to penn station by 8:15/8:30

Thanks!

I can only help you with Great Neck as I know people that commute from there.

Hello everyone.

Thanks!

Hello everyone.

Thanks!

Check out NICE bus Route N23 which passes the train station.

Check out NICE bus Route N23 which passes the train station.

He is not taking the bus, he is driving to the LIRR Station, parking there and taking the Port Wash. into NY Penn or Park&Ride @ LIRR Port Wash. Station.

As an advice to Shadow, I think you should get there for the 7:09 train, arrive 30 mins prior to departure, if you want to grab a cup of coffee, leave an extra 10 minutes. This is the best way to ensure you have more chances of getting a spot and a seat.

Note: I commuted to Manhattan for about 1 and a 1/2 year, from analyzing the commuter levels, it's best to get to a station as early as you can. The heavy loads usually start around 7-ish and ends around 10-ish. Assuming it is same for Port Washington, LIRR City Zone 1 & 3, and NYC Subway Flushing Line and Queens Blvd. Line. Obviously the further east you go, the earlier "AM Peak" starts.

He is not taking the bus, he is driving to the LIRR Station, parking there and taking the Port Wash. into NY Penn or Park&Ride @ LIRR Port Wash. Station.

I knew he was driving. I offered an alternative if the parking lot was full.

Hello everyone.

Thanks!

Hello everyone.

Thanks!

Here's something nobody told you. You need a permit to park at the station. http://mta.info/lirr/images/stationmaps/portwashington.pdf

Thanks everyone.

I looked into the bus, unfortunately that won't work for me.

I should be able to get a parking permit as I would be a resident.

Getting to the station 30 mins early would not be ideal, so I am going to drive around the area to see what the parking situation is like. I did this a few days ago and it didn't look good. But someone is telling me that there are additional lots that are a few blocks away - I am going to look to see if I can find those.

Thanks everyone.

Getting to the station 30 mins early would not be ideal, so I am going to drive around the area to see what the parking situation is like. I did this a few days ago and it didn't look good. But someone is telling me that there are additional lots that are a few blocks away - I am going to look to see if I can find those.

Thanks everyone.

The issue isn't getting the permit. I wanted to ensure you knew you needed a permit before you drove to the station for your first trip and read signs about permits.

Thanks everyone.

Let me guess it is not near you or it starts too late to use?

Thanks everyone.

print that PDF and use it as a guide http://mta.info/lirr/images/stationmaps/portwashington.pdf to find those extra lots. Make sure to follow the signs carefully. In my home station, the parking lots have spots that are designated 2 hour parking for people using the stores downtown, and the rest requires the usual Town of Oyster Bay permit, so you think you see spaces open then you realize because its 2 hour parking only.

More info for ya http://www.northhempsteadny.gov/filestorage/7356/7127/4415/5363/Parking_District_Brochure.pdf

(wow at the yearly permit price, Town of Oyster Bay's permit is $34 for 2 years and it covers bethpage, hicksville, syosset, massapequa, glen head, and locust valley)

http://www.northhempsteadny.gov/filestorage/7356/7127/4415/5363/pwapp.pdf permit application

The most crowded AM peak Port Wash train is the 7:19 from Pt Wash due NYP 7:58 (since you're boarding at the first stop there shouldn't be a problem)

The most crowded peak train is the 19:01 from NYP due Pt Wash 19:36.

Archived