Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
JubaionBx12+SBS

West End Rehab projects complete

Yay! Are the rehab project noticeable?

Of course. They rebuilt the stations...

I love it. They renovated the panels, stations (replacing walls and painting), the elevator at Bay Pkwy, replaced old switches at Bay 50th St, re-built the steps, and more I believe...

I love it. They renovated the panels, stations (replacing walls and painting), the elevator at Bay Pkwy, replaced old switches at Bay 50th St, re-built the steps, and more I believe...

seems all that work was worth the outages

I consider this project a renewal rather than a rehab...

Anyway, congratulation to the West End riders!

Still waiting for the MTA to rebuild the Sea Beach Line, which won't happen until 2014...

replaced old switches at Bay 50th St

I was wondering about the switches… It seems to me that the switch from the Manhattan-bound track to the express track just south of Bay 50 Street is never used. They were used a decade ago when weekend construction caused the (N) to run express on the West End line (then used by the (B)). Now the (N) only runs express during weekday midday construction, and the Manhattan-bound trains switch using the switch north of Bay 50 Street or sometimes just east of Bay Parkway. What's the point of the switch then? Is it just because it's less costly to remove it outright?

Edited by CenSin