Should Greyhound or Bolt Bus run 24/7 service between NYC and Philadelphia?

Shortline Bus

I thought i create a thread on this. This past Wednesday I went to see my brother in Southern NJ. That included a late evening dinner in Phildelphia. When i decied to go home i just missed the 9pm Bolt Bus to NYC's PABT.

I then walked over to the Greyhound terminal on Filbert Street. At 910pm the Greyhound staff stated the 940pm bus to New York was sold out and the next bus was at 1140pm. Many people was upset.

Thus i had to take the SEPTA/NJ Transit combo local to NY Penn Station.

My question is should Greyhound run regular 24/7 service between NYC and Central Philadelphia? if they could run hourly overnight service between both NYC/Philly and Atlantic City, why not a Manhattan-Philly trip at least every 90 minutes? It's a growing ridership area. Plus a small but growing number of people who live in Philly or the nearby South Jersey towns actually work or commute reguarly to/from the Big Apple. Plus Amtrak or SEPTA/NJ Transit does not offer overnight service.

Just wanted your takes guys. Thanks

Probably, because there are some late night commuters Still taveling. I think though it should run from 4 AM to 1 AM only

Actually buddy, that what the current service hours now for Greyhound NY-Philly service. I know the last bus is an early morning 'long distance' trip leaving Philly at 130am usually from say St Louis/Pittsburgh or until recently Dallas.

Yes, 90 Mins headway from 9PM-5AM, and 45 mins during all daytime hours, I think both Greyhound/Boltbus and Megabus should do this trip.

Mega is owned by Coach USA a different company. While Greyhound and Bolt Bus are owned by same company. Keep in mind during weekdays the trip between NYC and Philly is scheduled for 2 hours 15 minutes. At Night 2 hours(most of time drivers arrive in about 90 minutes barring traffic)

On Greyhound I heard they are "hiring" and short on drivers/staff in the busy northeast coordior region. I am sure B-Z Guy has more to say on thos.

Here http://extranet.greyhound.com/Revsup/schedules/pdf/120.pdf is a link to Greyhound's (pdf file) current timetable showing Greyhound and Peter Pan pooled trips between New York and Philly....Bolt schedules are not shown here but are in their own timetable.

Between them, it seems to me that there is pretty decent service on this densely travelled market. In addition, as mentioned, is Megabus, Amtrak, and New Jersey Transit/SEPTA combination via Trenton.

The only thing that I would add would be for maybe some of those early mornning trips that deadhead out to start at Mount Laurel start from Philly instead and perhaps pick up a few more wee-hour riders..

On the subject of hiring....I believe Greyhound is almost always short on drivers in the busy NEC. They usually have to bring "supplemental" drivers in at company expense from far and wide accross the country during busy summer and holiday periods.

Your suggestion is not bad traildriver. With that said, still does not address why is there a 2-hour wait between 940pm and 1140pm leaving Philly for NYC? It should be at least every hour headways, all the time at least until 1am. The Mt Laurel runs being extended is only helpful for the weekday rush hour period.

Here http://extranet.grey...les/pdf/120.pdf is a link to Greyhound's (pdf file) current timetable showing Greyhound and Peter Pan pooled trips between New York and Philly....Bolt schedules are not shown here but are in their own timetable.

Between them, it seems to me that there is pretty decent service on this densely travelled market. In addition, as mentioned, is Megabus, Amtrak, and New Jersey Transit/SEPTA combination via Trenton.

The only thing that I would add would be for maybe some of those early mornning trips that deadhead out to start at Mount Laurel start from Philly instead and perhaps pick up a few more wee-hour riders..

On the subject of hiring....I believe Greyhound is almost always short on drivers in the busy NEC. They usually have to bring "supplemental" drivers in at company expense from far and wide accross the country during busy summer and holiday periods.

Mega is owned by Coach USA a different company. While Greyhound and Bolt Bus are owned by same company. Keep in mind during weekdays the trip between NYC and Philly is scheduled for 2 hours 15 minutes. At Night 2 hours(most of time drivers arrive in about 90 minutes barring traffic)

On Greyhound I heard they are "hiring" and short on drivers/staff in the busy northeast coordior region. I am sure B-Z Guy has more to say on thos.

I know full well, unless if this thread is simply directed toward Greyhound & Co., I still think MegaBus could have some overnight service to/from Philadelphia, the only thing is the 9 o'clocker MegaBus better show some consistency...

IIRC, there is a 315am NY-Philly that continues west. Also, the reason why there is a 2 hour gap between the 940p and 1140p is because the evening trips are more for connecting passengers then local ones. The night schedule is built to maximize all the connections.

And Greyhound is always short of drivers in NYC! That is one constant that will never change! :lol:

Archived