How to improve IRT weekend service...

Threxx

Kid, have you ever been on the (3) out there in Brooklyn? That line carries past Utica Av and the headways are a joke most of the time.

As a frequent (3) train rider, people would be up in arms if you screw them over like that

Most people transfer between the (3) and (4) trains at Utica (my home is near those lines and I ride them regularly) to my experience. The (3) though doesn't need to be frequent outside of rush hours, but can always come once every eight or ten minutes on weekends. I am not pleased waiting twelve minutes for most IRT lines on Sunday...

Kid, have you ever been on the (3) out there in Brooklyn? That line carries past Utica Av and the headways are a joke most of the time.

As a frequent (3) train rider, people would be up in arms if you screw them over like that

Did I say I wanted to reduce (3) service? I said it's fine as it is. I was also a frequent (3) train rider, I saw nothing wrong with the headways.

Optimal headways:

(1): Every 6-8 minutes.

(2): Every 7-9 minutes.

(3): Every 10 minutes.

(4): Every 7-9 minutes.

(5): Every 10 minutes.

(6): Every 6-8 minutes.

(7): Every 5-6 minutes.

(S): Every 8 minutes.

(I just noticed that the word "every" looks weird repeated like that...)

Did I say I wanted to reduce (3) service? I said it's fine as it is. I was also a frequent (3) train rider, I saw nothing wrong with the headways.

Optimal headways:

Here's what I'd do:

(1): 6 minutes

(2): 10 minutes

(3): 10 minutes

(4): 10 minutes

(5): 10 minutes

(6): 7 minutes

(7): 5-7 minutes

I'm not pretending to be an expert on crowding and ridership; this just seems to be a good compromise between general loading guidelines and reducing waiting times.

Here's what I'd do:

(1): 6 minutes

(2): 10 minutes

(3): 10 minutes

(4): 10 minutes

(5): 10 minutes

(6): 7 minutes

(7): 5-7 minutes

I'm not pretending to be an expert on crowding and ridership; this just seems to be a good compromise between general loading guidelines and reducing waiting times.

The (2) and (4) at 10 minutes is too imfrequent, the (2) and (4) need to be at least 8 minutes.

Optimal headways:

My thing is that you wanna boost the service on all the lines except the (3) like its the red-headed stepchild of the family. If you so one, you might as well do them all

IMAO, the only reason the (3) is here is because of 145 St and 148 St. The (4) could easily pick up New Lots.

Like TSS said above. There's also reasons why the (5) was extended to Brooklyn during middays (outside of rush hours). The (4) was always packed due to Brooklyn IRT goers...and same went for the (2) along Nostrand.

The best thing to do would be to send the (3) to Brooklyn, have the (4) run express in Brooklyn all night, and have the (3) run local in Manhattan and have the (2) run express.

Why is there this demand for late night express service all over the place? First, it's send it to South Ferry; then it's send it to the Bronx. Now it's send it to New Lots so the 4 can remain as the EP Express. How about let's leave it alone. Remember, everything runs at 20 minute intervals anyhow so any time savings for the express are eaten up by waiting for the local.

Besides, what is being gained here? That's the question you have to ask yourself when you come up with these ideas. Right here, all I'm seeing as any potential benefits of a late-night 3 to New Lots is that the 4 can skip the five local stops on Eastern Pkwy. Mind you, the 4 in Brooklyn is kind of like the Q in Manhattan, an express line in name only. I can say with absolute certainty that if a 3 and 4 meet up at Nevins St or APB and the 4 is the express, they will meet again at Franklin and probably meet up again at Utica, so the time difference in nil. Also, I know that Eastern Pkwy has some ridership during the overnight hours, but does it really have enough to warrant three lines running in the middle of the night? And before some wise guy points out that 7th Avenue has three services overnight, that's because there's nowhere to turn the 3 that won't get in the way of the 2 other than Times Square.

By the way, I'm not just picking on you specifically; it just seems to be a running theme here in the subway section and you drew the short straw as your post was the last one I saw.

Archived