How to improve IRT weekend service...

Threxx

As we all know, the (1), (2), and (6) trains are plagued with poor weekend service, and the segments of route which they service on their own feel the repercussions.

For the (2) and White Plains road, I think the (3) should run at least to Neried Avenue and have shuttle buses/train run b/w 148th Street and 135th Street on weekends...

(3) to White Plains Road not a good idea since Harlem residents will get pissed of losing (3) service to 148st. People along White Plains Road will not board the (3) train or waste the crew time by holding the doors and ask them if this train is going to the West Side.

Cheapest solution increase (2)(3)(5) to every 10 minutes.

(3) to White Plains Road not a good idea since Harlem residents will get pissed of losing (3) service to 148st. People along White Plains Road will not board the (3) train or waste the crew time by holding the doors and ask them if this train is going to the West Side.

Cheapest solution increase (2)(3)(5) to every 10 minutes.

I don't think they'd be that pissed as they went through years of no (3) late night service and it's just 2 stops. And as with any major service change like this, it will be advertised to high heaven so you CAN'T not know...

For the (2) and White Plains road, I think the (3) should run at least to Neried Avenue and have shuttle buses/train run b/w 148th Street and 135th Street on weekends...

Sorry, Threxx, but I'm just not buying into this same thought process again:

Problem: service is bad.

Solution: provide TWICE the service on mentioned line.

We've been through this with CPW, Queens Blvd, 4 Av, Nostrand Av and Brighton Already. And, this isn't the first time that we've tried screwing up some riders to help others...

nope.avi

Sorry, Threxx, but I'm just not buying into this same thought process again:

Problem: service is bad.

Solution: provide TWICE the service on mentioned line.

We've been through this with CPW, Queens Blvd, 4 Av, Nostrand Av and Brighton Already. And, this isn't the first time that we've tried screwing up some riders to help others...

Screwing up who? No one uses those two stations on weekends. And we don't need to send every (3) train up there, we could send half. Point is, we need a solution that doesn't require us to use trains we don't have....

We have the trains.

I don't have them, do you have them in some secret yard somewhere? We do technically have the trains, but then you'd be spending extra money to put those trains into service.

I don't have them, do you have them in some secret yard somewhere? We do technically have the trains, but then you'd be spending extra money to put those trains into service.

What's wrong with running the (2) every 10 minutes? You'll also make the Nostrand Avenue complainers happier. And remember, extending the (3) is cheaper, but not free...

Screwing up who? No one uses those two stations on weekends. And we don't need to send every train up there, we could send half. Point is, we need a solution that doesn't require us to use trains we don't have....

Riders would be confused with 2 terminals for the (3) as you see with the (2) / (5) to New Lots / Utica, since almost nobody is paying attention to the roll signs or the announcements. If they see the (3) bullet in the front of it they would get on the train wanting to go to Harlem, not WPR.

Riders would be confused with 2 terminals for the (3) as you see with the (2) / (5) to New Lots / Utica, since almost nobody is paying attention to the roll signs or the announcements. If they see the (3) bullet in the front of it they would get on the train wanting to go to Harlem, not WPR.

You didn't read what I said above...

The solution is obvious to me. Run the 2 every 10 minutes instead of the present 12 minute headways. Problem solved without screwing up the 3 line. In almost every thread of this type, QB,CPW, Flatbush, it appears to me that the most obvious solution is to increase the frequency of service on these lines if warranted. It appears that the TA thinks their service guidelines are being met with the service they now provide so nothing is being done at present. IMO the service guidelines are a reflection of the MTA's budgetary problems so I don't see where these service increases are going to come from. From my experience in the TA everything is based on the Manhattan services and the individual trunk lines are given short shrift in the big picture. As far as re-routing or short turning is concerned I believe they operate on the KISS principle in operations and planning. Simply put in this case if I were to run selected 3 trains on the WPR line and there was a delay or blockage up there I would be screwing up service on the 2 ,3, and maybe the 5 line , affecting the Lenox, Lexington, 7th Ave, Flatbush, and New Lots lines. The potential for problems outweigh any supposed benefit in the scenario I presented. Leave well enough alone. Just my opinion. Carry on.

As we all know, the (1), (2), and (6) trains are plagued with poor weekend service, and the segments of route which they service on their own feel the repercussions.

If anything, select (3) trains, but the Bronx does fine in the weekend to me, very quiet when I went up there last time.

Why don't you just admit that your plan is less about fixing headways and really about getting to ride the 62s in the Bronx?

Lol.

Why don't you just admit that your plan is less about fixing headways and really about getting to ride the 62s in the Bronx?

No, it's about finding a cheaper alternative to putting trains that would otherwise be out of service on the (2)...

If you really want to do this, Threxx, here's a less confusing idea: label the WPR (3) trains as (2) trains to/from New Lots.

Then New Lots riders will be confused about the new (2) and (3) trains.

Since it's going to be a whole confusion fest, you might as well just spend the money to increase weekend (2) service...

I remember when they ran the Lex shuttle. Have you seen the switch layout around 135th? It's why they went to buses but then it's more of a Hassle and longer for riders so they desired to not only run the trains overnights to midtown but also provide express service in the process. To not only bring back shuttle buses, but for the weekends shows (along with "no one stops at 148 or 145th", which people do, cause when I'm up there to visit peeps I'm definitely not the only person) how often anyone who suggests that uses the line.

Increase the 2 to every ten mins and it's a good compromise for all riders along the corridor.

And having 2, 3, AND 5 trains between 149-GC and 180th on the weekends would be overkill.

Exploding_Head_Animation_by_Vaneetra.gif

So..how does everybody know that the headway is the issue with the (2)? How do y'all know it is not the flagging on the WPR line? Posting about the problems with the weekend (2) on this forum or just about any other is pointless and a waste of time. Complaining directly to MTA is the only way to do something about trains being damn near 20 minutes apart instead of 12. If they must do the flagging on the WPR line so much and have no other choice, the only solution is to just deal with the problem.

Posting about the problems of the weekends (2) here or just about anywhere else will do nothing about flagging, the fact that the (2) spends a shitload of time above ground, and the fact that el track work cannot be done at night

Exploding_Head_Animation_by_Vaneetra.gif

So..how does everybody know that the headway is the issue with the (2)? How do y'all know it is not the flagging on the WPR line? Posting about the problems with the weekend (2) on this forum or just about any other is pointless and a waste of time. Complaining directly to MTA is the only way to do something about trains being damn near 20 minutes apart instead of 12. If they must do the flagging on the WPR line so much and have no other choice, the only solution is to just deal with the problem.

Posting about the problems of the weekends (2) here or just about anywhere else will do nothing about flagging, the fact that the (2) spends a shitload of time above ground, and the fact that el track work cannot be done at night

THANK YOU. Honestly I've gotten sick of the "____ line is underserved" threads...

I don't think they'd be that pissed as they went through years of no (3) late night service and it's just 2 stops. And as with any major service change like this, it will be advertised to high heaven so you CAN'T not know...

People will always find a way to not know.

I would've tried to find a Michael Kyle clip where he says "ehhhh, no". I couldn't find a good one. I just found a compliation of times when he said it, but not one where he says it once.

Here it is:

In any case, TBH, you have a lot of bus lines running every 12 minutes (or more) on the weekends. Is it really that necessary to make the subway lines more frequent than that? I mean, if they're running every 12 minutes, you should try to avoid 20+ minute waits, but that's a seperate issue. I mean, in the event that there's a delay, there should be a plan to have trains do a battery run or something, or maybe once in a while reroute a train to a different line, but it shouldn't be a regular occurance. As far as the best solution to implement on a regular basis, simply run the trains more frequently.

The (3) has had multiple terminals before, 137 St, 148 St, E 180 St, 238 St, 241 St.

Archived