Alan Rosen comments on fare hike meetings & Bronx/Queens LIRR/MNRR travel

BrooklynBus

Whatever kind of peak you want to call it I NEVER see anyone at that University Heights station or the Morris Heights station, so what part of no passengers isn't clear to you? <_< What's even funnier is having two local buses serve one of the stations and I still never see anyone getting on there in either direction.

You're still sitting there talking about "They've got the (4) for East Side access and the (B) and (D) for West Side access." as if that eliminates the need for Metro-North service. Yeah, for Manhattan-bound service it does, but not for outbound service. You've had problems understanding that before, like here. Everybody is saying that reverse-peak usage is high, and yet you keep talking about regular usage towards Manhattan when that's not what anybody's talking about.

It doesn't matter that there are only a few people who use it. The point is it's needed for connectivity purposes. Should every single train stop there? No, but they should get a minimum level of service.

You're still sitting there talking about "They've got the (4) for East Side access and the (B) and (D) for West Side access." as if that eliminates the need for Metro-North service. Yeah, for Manhattan-bound service it does, but not for outbound service. You've had problems understanding that before, like here. Everybody is saying that reverse-peak usage is high, and yet you keep talking about regular usage towards Manhattan when that's not what anybody's talking about.

It doesn't matter that there are only a few people who use it. The point is it's needed for connectivity purposes. Should every single train stop there? No, but they should get a minimum level of service.

Everybody like who??? Even Shortline says usage at both stations is LOW, so spare me with nonsense. If you're going to make arguments at least be accurate because that is just an out and out lie. The fact that those two stations have shortened platforms further supports my argument that MetroNorth is not needed at those stations, so you can sit there and BS all you want about this so called "high reverse-peak" usage crappola when there is nothing at those stations but empty platforms. :lol:

Everybody like who??? Even Shortline says usage at both stations is LOW, so spare me with nonsense. If you're going to make arguments at least be accurate because that is just an out and out lie. The fact that those two stations have shortened platforms further supports my argument that MetroNorth is not needed at those stations, so you can sit there and BS all you want about this so called "high reverse-peak" usage crappola when there is nothing at those stations but empty platforms. :lol:

No offense Vg8 but why you care about 90% of Hudson Line riders at university heights(which is located at start of Fordham Road in Bronx)and morris heights during rush hours going northbound to work/college in Yonkers, Ardsley, Tarrytown or Peekskill? You on your way to Manhattan.

Geez i already suggested a compromise solution which is limited train service stopping every hour rush hours and every (2) hours off peak. And those stations bypassed after appx. 10pm just like Melrose and Tremont on the Harlem Line? You not making same proposal for those stations i.e Tremont and Melrose to close. No want riff-riff from the bronx riding the trains VG8?

I wasn't talking about University/Morris Heights. I was talking about Fordham, so yes I was being accurate. What, you think I like putting up links for the hell of it? So you can take that :lol: icon and shove it.

My point is that not all riders are headed to Manhattan. Are there tons of riders headed up to Westchester? No, but the service is needed for connectivity purposes. Try getting up to Dobbs Ferry from Morris Heights without Metro-North. Like I said, they should get a minimum level of service. (In fact, I said that in the post I quoted. I wouldn't have said that if I were referring to a high-ridership station like Fordham, now would I?)

No offense Vg8 but why you care about 90% of Hudson Line riders at university heights(which is located at start of Fordham Road in Bronx)and morris heights during rush hours going northbound to work/college in Yonkers, Ardsley, Tarrytown or Peekskill? You on your way to Manhattan.

Geez i already suggested a compromise solution which is limited train service stopping every hour rush hours and every (2) hours off peak. And those stations bypassed after appx. 10pm just like Melrose and Tremont on the Harlem Line? You not making same proposal for those stations i.e Tremont and Melrose to close. No want riff-riff from the bronx riding the trains VG8?

Uh I already stated that I use MetroNorth all over the place #1 and #2, if you haven't noticed, my location has changed and it isn't Riverdale anymore... My company moved, meaning that my commute isn't the same. In any event, if I was so against "riff-raff" as you keep suggesting, I would support cutting off LIRR service to Eastern Queens, but I don't because they have much more limited options out there, so so much for that argument. Also, we're talking about University/Morris Heights, so why are you bringing up Tremont and Melrose for??? If it's because they have low or almost non-existent ridership like University/Morris Heights, then yes they should be closed.

I wasn't talking about University/Morris Heights. I was talking about Fordham, so yes I was being accurate. What, you think I like putting up links for the hell of it? So you can take that :lol: icon and shove it.

Uh excuse me, the conversation was about University/Morris Heights.... You quote me about Fordham when I'm talking about University/Morris Heights??? I didn't mention Fordham anywhere, so I don't see why you're talking about reverse peak ridership at that station for when we're talking about two other stations... The ridership patterns at Fordham has NOTHING to do with University/Morris Heights.

Uh I already stated that I use MetroNorth all over the place #1 and #2, if you haven't noticed, my location has changed and it isn't Riverdale anymore... My company moved, meaning that my commute isn't the same. In any event, if I was so against "riff-raff" as you keep suggesting, I would support cutting off LIRR service to Eastern Queens, but I don't because they have much more limited options out there, so so much for that argument. Also, we're talking about University/Morris Heights, so why are you bringing up Tremont and Melrose for??? If it's because they have low or almost non-existent ridership like University/Morris Heights, then yes they should be closed.

Geez, it's amazing how you keep talking about how wonderful middle-class professionals are and how they can do no wrong - except when they're Black (of course, by now I think we all know the reason why). Those SE Queens stations don't have riff-raff. <_< (Neither do the NE Queens stations, but I doubt you were referring to them).

Uh excuse me, the conversation was about University/Morris Heights.... You quote me about Fordham when I'm talking about University/Morris Heights??? I didn't mention Fordham anywhere, so I don't see why you're talking about reverse peak ridership at that station for when we're talking about two other stations... The ridership patterns at Fordham has NOTHING to do with University/Morris Heights.

Because my point is you're fixated on Metro-North being used for service to Manhattan when that's not the case.

Tell me again: How are the riders at those stations supposed to get to Westchester and points north? I don't care if there's only a few of them. The trains are running by there anyway, and it doesn't cost a whole lot to stop a few trains to give them some service. Why should those stations be closed?

You want to use the "no ridership" argument, then I never want to hear you complain about the BM4 again. And the arguments in this case are even less valid because the marginal cost of having the train make a stop is less than the marginal cost of running a bus all the way from Brooklyn to Manhattan and back.

Geez, it's amazing how you keep talking about how wonderful middle-class professionals are and how they can do no wrong - except when they're Black (of course, by now I think we all know the reason why). Those SE Queens stations don't have riff-raff. <_< (Neither do the NE Queens stations, but I doubt you were referring to them).

Geez, it's amazing how you keep bringing this nonsense up about riff-raff when nothing was mentioned about it anywhere to suite your agenda... Smh

Because my point is you're fixated on Metro-North being used for service to Manhattan when that's not the case.

I wouldn't call empty platforms at University Heights and Morris Heights in either direction being fixated on MetroNorth service to Manhattan. :lol:

Tell me again: How are the riders at those stations supposed to get to Westchester and points north? I don't care if there's only a few of them. The trains are running by there anyway, and it doesn't cost a whole lot to stop a few trains to give them some service. Why should those stations be closed?

A few??? How about none because that's exactly what I see when I pass Morris Heights & University Heights, regardless of which direction I'm traveling (peak or off-peak) and that's exactly why they should be closed. Shortline must be seeing mirages at those stations because that's about as close to people at those platforms as you're going to get at those stations. :lol:

You want to use the "no ridership" argument, then I never want to hear you complain about the BM4 again. And the arguments in this case are even less valid because the marginal cost of having the train make a stop is less than the marginal cost of running a bus all the way from Brooklyn to Manhattan and back.

Uh let's see... The BM4 has some riders (just not as many as you would like) and #2, the (MTA) has adjusted the schedule (slashed service) on the BM4 to meet demand, so so much for that argument. Therefore the same should be done here. That's only fair.

FYI. Topic renamed to better reflect title of thread. Which is Alan Rosen's(aka Brooklyn Bus) comments on the upcoming meetings on the fare hikes. And also intra-city ridership in Bronx and Queens on both Metro North and LIRR.

Geez, it's amazing how you keep bringing this nonsense up about riff-raff when nothing was mentioned about it anywhere to suit your agenda... Smh

I wouldn't call empty platforms at University Heights and Morris Heights in either direction being fixated on MetroNorth.

A few??? How about none because that's exactly what I see when I pass Morris Heights & University Heights, regardless of which direction I'm traveling (peak or off-peak) and that's exactly why they should be closed. Shortline must be seeing mirages at those stations because that's about as close to people at those platforms as you're going to get at those stations. :lol:

Uh let's see... The BM4 has some riders (just not as many as you would like) and #2, the (MTA) has adjusted the schedule (slashed service) on the BM4 to meet demand, so so much for that argument. Therefore the same should be done here. That's only fair.

Yup. I once boarded at University Heights on a Saturday afternoon and 10 riders boarded for a Croton Harmon train at 5pm. I am really going blind. Vg8 does not take anyone on the boards who disagree with him serious. What point of being here lol.

Metro-North is for Westchester, Putnam, Dutchess and Southern Connecticut, not the Bronx riders who refuse to step on a "packed" subway car because they cannot sit on comfy seats.

That comment is partially correct... Metro-North is primarily for Westchester, Putnam, Dutchess and Southern Connecticut and communities near Westchester like Riverdale who actually use the service and need it. Morris Heights and University Heights don't use the service enough to justify having stations there. The facts speak for themselves. It's called MetroNorth for a reason otherwise might as well make it another subway. It's a commuter train primarily for suburban commuters but Shortline & checkmate seem to think otherwise.

That comment is partially correct... Metro-North is primarily for Westchester, Putnam, Dutchess and Southern Connecticut and communities near Westchester like Riverdale who actually use the service and need it. Morris Heights and University Heights don't use the service enough to justify having stations there. The facts speak for themselves.

News Flash. Woodlawn and Riverdale which majority White are still in bronx. So you should not have MNRR service either VG8.

Since this topic is going nowhere it's now a wrap.

Archived