Fare transfer does not work and Metro card balance was deducted

joea2

For some reason the first post didn't work, I apologize in advance if this is a repost.

For every $50 metro card purchased I get at least one no transfer fare and my metro card balance gets deducted for a full fare when transferring onto another bus. Sometimes I experience up to 4 no transfer fare from one metro card purchase. In the past I had called the MTA customer services for a refund, I obviously have never gotten one fare refunded. Other passengers on my bus route have the same experience as I. There is some flaw in the system. Since I can never get a fare refunded, does anyone know how to prevent this from happening?

For some reason the first post didn't work, I apologize in advance if this is a repost.

For every $50 metro card purchased I get at least one no transfer fare and my metro card balance gets deducted for a full fare when transferring onto another bus. Sometimes I experience up to 4 no transfer fare from one metro card purchase. In the past I had called the MTA customer services for a refund, I obviously have never gotten one fare refunded. Other passengers on my bus route have the same experience as I. There is some flaw in the system. Since I can never get a fare refunded, does anyone know how to prevent this from happening?

Can you be more specific?

Regular MetroCard only allows free transfers within 2-hours, except for Staten Island is 3-legged transfer.

For example, if you paid you fare on M1 along 5th-Madison Avs, you cannot get free transfer on M3 or M4. Same reason if you take NICE n20/n21 Northern Blvd, or Bee-Line Route #20/#21 along Rte 100, you cannot get free transfer.

Or maybe, it could be farebox problem on MTA, NICE, Bee-Line buses sometimes often happens and steals fare sometimes or sometimes eat up the MetroCard. Maybe, MTA, LIBusOperator can correct me.

There actually is a form you can fill out to get a refund. Just go to a subway station and ask the token booth clerk for one (or there might be a way to print it out online). There are different boxes to check, and all you have to do is check the one that deals with transfer issues.

Then, there's a little tear-off stub at the bottom, where you write down the number of the MetroCard for your personal records. I can't stress this enough, but keep that stub because these things often take a few months to process. There was a time when it took me 4 months just to get $2.05 off an expired MetroCard. Keep that for your records so they don't lose the MetroCard and you're out $50 or whatever you paid.

Also keep in mind that sometimes, it says a fare is taken off, but it really hasn't been. Check the balance at one of those MetroCard readers in the subway, because if you had say, $10 before it was dipped in, you might still have $10 even if the farebox said that a fare was deducted.

Thank you all.

FamousNYLover, it’s usually within 15 minutes of a transfer. My route doesn’t need 2 transfers.

I have been keeping track of the metro card box number on my bus route (the box where you insert the metro card to paid fare on the bus). Metro card fare boxes have a serial number right below where you insert the metro card. My record shows there is this one box with same serial number that never gives me a transfer fare even using different metro card. What can one do with this information? Contact the MTA and hope someone can repair the metro card box? Does the MTA take this problem seriously? What do you think?

Thank you all.

FamousNYLover, it’s usually within 15 minutes of a transfer. My route doesn’t need 2 transfers.

I have been keeping track of the metro card box number on my bus route (the box where you insert the metro card to paid fare on the bus). Metro card fare boxes have a serial number right below where you insert the metro card. My record shows there is this one box with same serial number that never gives me a transfer fare even using different metro card. What can one do with this information? Contact the MTA and hope someone can repair the metro card box? Does the MTA take this problem seriously? What do you think?

Sure, it can't hurt. Theoretically, the B/O is supposed to write down when the farebox malfunctions, but sometimes they forget or it takes a while to get repaired, so it can't hurt to remind them of the problem. See if there's a place to make a note of the farebox number when you're asking for a refund.

MTA customer services do need some improvement. A rep said to me when I was trying to tell her the farebox serial number for a case refund she cut me off and said "I have already give you a case number. We can track it with the metro card number (the number on the back of the metro card below "expires")". I said I have never received a refund in the past so it would be better to include the farebox serial number. She said she has my metro card number that is all she needed.

Thanks checkmatechamp13. I don't expect to get a refund. Maybe frequent reports can help improve the farebox system. Thanks for the info. Happy Thanksgiving.

Archived