Shalom!

Diesel

I don't know what happens to me last time, but this post i understood 99 percent without google translate, mb just because reading always easer than writing.

Thank you for historical notes, really interesting, as i said i don't know almost nothing about transportation in (of?) this GREAT city called New York.

So, now we have single MTA company, it's really good, reminds me of single taxi company in Israel, very convenient (comfortable?).

And as i understand - MTA is subway, so TA - all transportation of New York in general? Or just TA not used?

And one more question. Are the bridges were earlier then tunnels? Cuz subway always associated with underground tunnels to me, and here you are writing about merging BRT and IRT until the bridges came. I guess it because by reason of to build tunned under the river harder than bridge over the river. May be im wrong.

And why IRT (Inter-borough Rapid Transit) called like this, if it kept Manhattan only?

Welcome to NYCTF!!! Enjoy your stay!!!

Thanks. But today i got again:

Sorry, you don't have permission for that!

You are not allowed to visit this community

Someone doesnt want to see me on this forum?

I don't know what happens to me last time, but this post i understood 99 percent without google translate, mb just because reading always easer than writing.

Thank you for historical notes, really interesting, as i said i don't know almost nothing about transportation in (of?) this GREAT city called New York.

1. So, now we have single MTA company, it's really good, reminds me of single taxi company in Israel, very convenient (comfortable?).

And as i understand - MTA is subway, so TA - all transportation of New York in general? Or just TA not used?

2. And one more question. Are the bridges were earlier then tunnels? Cuz subway always associated with underground tunnels to me, and here you are writing about merging BRT and IRT until the bridges came. I guess it because by reason of to build tunned under the river harder than bridge over the river. May be im wrong.

3. And why IRT (Inter-borough Rapid Transit) called like this, if it kept Manhattan only?

1. TA is just an abbreviation, per say... the MTA controls buses, the subway, Staten Island Railway, LIRR and Metro-North.

2. The old elevated lines used the bridges, but as subways were built, only the Williamsburg Bridge and Manhattan Bridge were used. Tunnels were built for other lines.

3. The IRT expanded over the years, as it was planned too. The IRT currently has lines in Manhattan, Brooklyn, and the Bronx...

Thanks. But today i got again:

Sorry, you don't have permission for that!

You are not allowed to visit this community

Someone doesnt want to see me on this forum?

You have to wait 30 days, it restricts some of your privileges until you are confirmed to not be a spam bot. We got an influx of spam recently, unfortunate, but it's the way it has to be done.

1. TA is just an abbreviation, per say... the MTA controls buses, the subway, Staten Island Railway, LIRR and Metro-North.

2. The old elevated lines used the bridges, but as subways were built, only the Williamsburg Bridge and Manhattan Bridge were used. Tunnels were built for other lines.

3. The IRT expanded over the years, as it was planned too. The IRT currently has lines in Manhattan, Brooklyn, and the Bronx...

1. Thanks. That what i wanted to hear (that MTA controls all land transportation), because i see MTA labels on buses too.

2. Oh, ok, so its not related (the complexity and cost of construction tunnels and bridges).

3. Clearly, thanks.

Is there now construction new subway lines? And why many people who were in New York say that NY subway is too dirty, is it true? Compared with the Moscow subway for example.

You have to wait 30 days, it restricts some of your privileges until you are confirmed to not be a spam bot. We got an influx of spam recently, unfortunate, but it's the way it has to be done.

How to confirm that im not a spam bot? Just tired from all this limits...

Yes there are three projects undergoing construction:

1) (7) line extension in Manhattan:

http://www.mta.info/capital/future/extension.php

2) LIRR East Side Access:

http://www.mta.info/capital/future/east-side-access.php

3) Second Ave Line in Manhattan:

http://www.mta.info/.../sas/index.html

Is NYC the dirtiest city? Yes it is true. Travel and Leisure Magazine recently rated New York City as the dirtiest city in America. Also the loudest and rudest city in America. From my travels across the US I would agree. However New York City tops the ranks in very positive ways too. (Like the fact it is a true multicultural city with vast opportunities. Call having the opportunity to live in NYC a requirem to a dream....)

http://www.metro.us/...-travel-leisure

http://www.travelandleisure.com/articles/americas-dirtiest-cities/2

Wow thanks, the new renders are awesome!!!

What about lines to NJ?

Is NYC the dirtiest city? Yes it is true. Travel and Leisure Magazine recently rated New York City as the dirtiest city in America. Also the loudest and rudest city in America. From my travels across the US I would agree. However New York City tops the ranks in very positive ways too. (Like the fact it is a true multicultural city with vast opportunities. Call having the opportunity to live in NYC a requirem to a dream....)

http://www.metro.us/...-travel-leisure

http://www.traveland...rtiest-cities/2

Sad to hear this.... but why many people comes to New York? All because of money?

In my case i dream to live in New York just because it's New York. :)

I love big cities, and New York is most closer to my concept of ideal megalopolis.

All this noise, siren, rush, traffic jams, running people... all this are excites me. Just dreaming to live in all it at least five, ten or more years.... after to move out of town, but not so far, somewhere in NY area, that to have opportunity one time per week/month visit New York, even if i have reason or just to relax in Central Park. :rolleyes:

3. The IRT expanded over the years, as it was planned too. The IRT currently has lines in Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, and the Bronx...

The IRT Flushing Line, also known as the (7) runs through Queens

Mainly, the new subway line being constructed in the subway under Second Avenue (to be referred to as the (T) when it is done)

• 3 weeks later...
Shalom! Mah schlomkah? (Sorry, I don't have Hebrew letters on my keyboard, even though I can understand it and speak it decently.)

?שלום! תודה, אני ב"ה, אתה מדבר עברית

Kein! (However, I can't really read it well without the vowels.)

Be patient, it takes time. :)

I heard about that. In Hebrew you have to MEMORIZE vowels. That must be a challenge to the non-native speaker. I guess using the wrong vowels can alter the meaning of the words right?

Yes, but as ussualy the words are means what they are means and nothing other (if ure doubt what this word is it, u just looking to the all meaning of a sentence).

Be patient, it takes time. :)

Yes, but as ussualy the words are means what they are means and nothing other (if ure doubt what this word is it, u just looking to the all meaning of a sentence).

Gotcha. Exactly what a collegue of mine told me. I've heard people have to use the same technique with Russian. I know that's how it works with Chinese toowhen it comes to the writing aspect as it is not a phonetic language. Ditto on Japanese as even though it has an alphabet it makes a emphasis on vowels, also the fact it uses hanji characters similar to Chinese which are borrowed from that language. Trying to learn Japanese right now, it is a VERY difficult language. I think it's even harder then Chinese for a non-native speaker such as myself.

You forgot the Fulton Transit Center

http://www.mta.info/capital/future/fstc.php

And welcome Diesel, I love that subway map comparaisonl!!

Gotcha. Exactly what a collegue of mine told me. I've heard people have to use the same technique with Russian. I know that's how it works with Chinese toowhen it comes to the writing aspect as it is not a phonetic language. Ditto on Japanese as even though it has an alphabet it makes a emphasis on vowels, also the fact it uses hanji characters similar to Chinese which are borrowed from that language. Trying to learn Japanese right now, it is a VERY difficult language. I think it's even harder then Chinese for a non-native speaker such as myself.

I dont know about asian languages, but hebrew is very easy language, as usually enough 5-6 months learnings for to speak hebrew very well.

Hello and welcome!  :D

Thank you! :)

And welcome Diesel, I love that subway map comparaisonl!!

Thanks! Lol me too! :P

I dont know about asian languages, but hebrew is very easy language, as usually enough 5-6 months learnings for to speak hebrew very well.

No kidding! Many of my professional clients are Jewish.

I need to look into learning some hebrew and yiddish phrases to improve on my interpersonal professional customer service skills, to keep my clients I provide computer tech support to, happy and satisfied with my services. In fact I have to report to two privately owned theocratic schools in Brooklyn next week to set up new computers in the administrative offices and also a new computer lab in the other location. I'm already acquainted with the rabbi there who owns both schools but from an unrelated gig from when I was in the printing industry a long time ago. I would imagine he would be very happy that I am doing well as a tech now. 

No kidding! Many of my professional clients are Jewish.

I need to look into learning some hebrew and yiddish phrases to improve on my interpersonal professional customer service skills, to keep my clients I provide computer tech support to, happy and satisfied with my services. In fact I have to report to two privately owned theocratic schools in Brooklyn next week to set up new computers in the administrative offices and also a new computer lab in the other location. I'm already acquainted with the rabbi there who owns both schools but from an unrelated gig from when I was in the printing industry a long time ago. I would imagine he would be very happy that I am doing well as a tech now. 

Oh can i help you with hebrew? :lol:

Just looking for ways to move to the USA.

Oh can i help you with hebrew? :lol:

Just looking for ways to move to the USA.

I have an idea on that:

Why don't you consider taking up a student visa and come to NY through the City University of New York (a network of community colleges and universities, some ranking as the best schools in the nation) ?

Look at this official link: http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_1268.html

You should go and apply, it's a lengthy process but it would be a legit way to get the foot in the door sort of speak as a foreign exchange student. 

Then go for alien resident status through US Citizenship and Immigration Services via the US Dept of State.

Link: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis

As part of the visa application process, an interview at the embassy consular section is required for visa applicants from age 14 through 79, with few exceptions. Persons age 13 and younger, and age 80 and older, generally do not require an interview, unless requested by embassy or consulate. The waiting time for an interview appointment for applicants can vary, so early visa application is strongly encouraged. Visa wait times for interview appointments and visa processing time information for each U.S. Embassy or Consulate worldwide is available on our website at Visa Wait Times, and on most embassy websites. Learn how to schedule an appointment for an interview, pay the application processing fee, review embassy specific instructions, and much more by visiting the Embassy or Consulate website where you will apply.

During the visa application process, usually at the interview, an ink-free, digital fingerprint scan will be quickly taken. Some visa applications require further administrative processing, which takes additional time after the visa applicant's interview by a Consular Officer. Also, because each student’s personal and academic situation is different, two students applying for same visa may be asked different questions and be required to submit different additional documents.

It's a process I know but you can do it if you have enough passion to enjoy the benefits of living in the Big Apple and realizing your dreams.

I have an idea on that:

Why don't you consider taking up a student visa and come to NY through the City University of New York (a network of community colleges and universities, some ranking as the best schools in the nation) ?

Look at this official link: http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_1268.html

You should go and apply, it's a lengthy process but it would be a legit way to get the foot in the door sort of speak as a foreign exchange student. 

Then go for alien resident status through US Citizenship and Immigration Services via the US Dept of State.

Link: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis

It's a process I know but you can do it if you have enough passion to enjoy the benefits of living in the Big Apple and realizing your dreams.

Yes, i tried to go to Yeshiva University in Harlem (North Manhattan), and we are even communicated by email, so i understood that i dont have possibility to go there (financial reasons, cuz study is very expensive there), even if i will luck for International Financial Aid Application i have to pay for room and meal... so i don't think this is good idea.

May be it different for the City University of New York, in the truth i dont know other universities except Yeshiva University, although if all the question that i need study visa - i can to try to get it through one of many yeshivas in Brooklyn (visa type F1), but i for US Citizenship and Immigration Services i will need to have reasons to stay in the USA.

Yes, i tried to go to Yeshiva University in Harlem (North Manhattan), and we are even communicated by email, so i understood that i dont have possibility to go there (financial reasons, cuz study is very expensive there), even if i will luck for International Financial Aid Application i have to pay for room and meal... so i don't think this is good idea.

May be it different for the City University of New York, in the truth i dont know other universities except Yeshiva University, although if all the question that i need study visa - i can to try to get it through one of many yeshivas in Brooklyn (visa type F1), but i for US Citizenship and Immigration Services i will need to have reasons to stay in the USA.

CUNY is one of the biggest public universities in the United States, and like Realizm said, some of the CUNY schools are among the best in the country, depending on what you seek to obtain your degree in.

1. Baruch College is one of the best schools in the CUNY system, and among the best in the country if you want to study business. It's also among the most selective schools in the CUNY system. Click here for info on applying to Baruch as an international student.
  3. City College (CCNY) is what many consider the flagship campus of the CUNY system. It has a beautiful campus in Harlem, and has good engineering, architecture, and bio-med schools. Click here for info on applying to CCNY as an international student.
  5. Hunter College is also a good school in the CUNY system, it is located in the Upper East Side. It has a good economics and English Writing program, along with an excellent English Langauge Learners program. Click here for info on applying to Hunter as an international student.
  7. Other 4-year schools in the CUNY system include Brooklyn, (which also has an excellent engineering programQueens, and Lehman Colleges.

Keep looking around for schools, and check out the CUNY website for international students/applicants.

Good luck!

I have a colleague of mine who is married to a beautiful girl who is now officially a red blooded Israeli-American woman, she went through this exact process I've described. She had to take waitressing work off the books and go to Boro of Manhattan Community College on a student visa then City College in Manhattan all at the same time. She then went for alien resident status and was granted that status in a lottery. It took her 3 years in change to realize her dream career AND her man of her dreams. Now she is in forensics. She's only 26 years old! So dude this is a viable option. But your game plan sounds solid to me, do what you gotta do and keep it moving, you will find success with perseverance!

Edit: To add to what IntExp just posted simuntaneously as I posted, BMCC has an ESL program too which got her foot in the door (My colleague's wife) forgot to mention that

Link: http://www.bmcc.cuny.edu/immersion/

Archived