Connecting the dots to better commutes

JubaionBx12+SBS

Really now I suggested numerous routes to improve interborough travel yet they get brushed off CMON.  Plus we have routes like that called express buses!!! BUT interborough travel to and from outerboroughs other than manhattan is a chore. Brooklyn to queens has good service via the subway. Bronx to queens has crappy service and people on here have the nerve to shoot down a clearview route that can cut travel times between the bronx and queens and even nassau by 30+ minutes PLZ!!! Not directed at you directly though.

Damn and yet I present solutions that will solve that problem and I am called crazy BS. SI needs a CI route via the belt end of story. Brooklynbus' B22 line would turn a multiple transfer ordeal into a simple 2 bus quick commute. That is just wrong seriously BM3 to X17 CMON MAN. I would use (D) to B1 to S79 or X17 Or Northbound (N) to southbound (R) for x17/S79 /S53.

Err If you do that your better off making some M60s or that bronx LGA route express to LGA during airport hours on some trips or every other trip. The Bronx to LGA route will make up for lost service on astoria blvd anyway. Besides you do have the (J) to the (A) for queens to downtown brooklyn remember that connections to downtown brooklyn from queens are NOT as hard as you make it out to be it's actually very easy. Use either the 2 subway lines like (J) to the (A) or if timed right LIRR. But since LIRR service there sucks I'd stick with (J) to broadway jct for an easy link to the (A). Trust me the connections to downtown brooklyn are there use them.

The problem with express buses is that they are expensive, and don't operate very frequently. Local buses or limited stop services can do the job just fine. The only difference is that an express bus is much more expensive to operate, has less capacity than a regular bus, and has nice seats (and I don't think the nice seats are worth the extra money, quite frankly.)

What I *meant* to say about downtown Brooklyn is that connections to train lines in Queens and Brooklyn suck. The (J)(M)(Z) only goes to Williamsburg, and the (G) and (A) are connected very poorly to non-IND lines. Post-Sandy, a trip I had to make from Floral Park to 20th Av on the D would have required, at a minimum, 4 or 5 trains, or a multitude of bus transfers. LIRR is slightly better, but costs a lot of money for something that isn't a regular trip, and not everyone has the money to buy LIRR tickets whenever they feel like it.

As a pessimist, I will believe that a Bronx-LGA route exists when it starts running. To be useful, at a minimum it has to run something better than every half-hour during the off-peak.

Damn and yet I present solutions that will solve that problem and I am called crazy BS. SI needs a CI route via the belt end of story. Brooklynbus' B22 line would turn a multiple transfer ordeal into a simple 2 bus quick commute. That is just wrong seriously BM3 to X17 CMON MAN. I would use (D) to B1 to S79 or X17 Or Northbound (N) to southbound (R) for x17/S79 /S53.

What part of PASSENGER CARS ONLY on the Belt do you not understand?  We've gone through this before; buses are not permitted on the Belt.

What part of PASSENGER CARS ONLY on the Belt do you not understand?  We've gone through this before; buses are not permitted on the Belt.

Didn't the MTA have a permit to use the belt upto knapp street or is the permit to knapp street apply to coming from the east rather than west? Plus buses shorter than 10"6 physically can use the belt on that stretch MTA can get a permit like they did with B83. Explain the knapp street permit thing or were you not aware of that?

The problem with express buses is that they are expensive, and don't operate very frequently. Local buses or limited stop services can do the job just fine. The only difference is that an express bus is much more expensive to operate, has less capacity than a regular bus, and has nice seats (and I don't think the nice seats are worth the extra money, quite frankly.)

What I *meant* to say about downtown Brooklyn is that connections to train lines in Queens and Brooklyn suck. The (J)(M)(Z) only goes to Williamsburg, and the (G) and (A) are connected very poorly to non-IND lines. Post-Sandy, a trip I had to make from Floral Park to 20th Av on the D would have required, at a minimum, 4 or 5 trains, or a multitude of bus transfers. LIRR is slightly better, but costs a lot of money for something that isn't a regular trip, and not everyone has the money to buy LIRR tickets whenever they feel like it.

As a pessimist, I will believe that a Bronx-LGA route exists when it starts running. To be useful, at a minimum it has to run something better than every half-hour during the off-peak.

Lets not waste local and LTD stop buses on extra inter borough service to and from manhattan Let express buses become frequent if price is that much of a deterrent then charging $5.50 is pointless. Bronx has enough service to and from manhattan on buses Brooklyn BMs are an afterthought look at how poorly B51 did. Queens has M60 and caan use a direct to woodside 125th street route. But deep in queens the QMs are good enough just boost service and make the tough choice charge the high fare for the few upper middle folks or charge the low fare to get maximum ridership?  

LIRR how about a subsidy to crosshonor LIRR passes on NYCT/MTAbus OR cross honor metrocard unlimited and PPR on LIRR for travel between queens and brooklyn or MNRR from bronx to manhattan. However I heard from MNRR people I met even students that the MNRR fare to fordham is very reasonable to them and not as expensive as I people make it out to be. To fordham from Mt vernon it's ONLY $4!!!!!

MTA bus subsidy can be sacrificed and weak express MTA bus lines can just get let go.

Besides other than improving travel between brooklyn and queens and queens to the bronx and SI to brooklyn what local buses need to enter manhattan? Seriously be realistic and come up with lines that DO NOT duplicate the subway and save little to no time over the subway.

Didn't the MTA have a permit to use the belt upto knapp street or is the permit to knapp street apply to coming from the east rather than west? Plus buses shorter than 10"6 physically can use the belt on that stretch MTA can get a permit like they did with B83. Explain the knapp street permit thing or were you not aware of that?

Lets not waste local and LTD stop buses on extra inter borough service to and from manhattan Let express buses become frequent if price is that much of a deterrent then charging $5.50 is pointless. Bronx has enough service to and from manhattan on buses Brooklyn BMs are an afterthought look at how poorly B51 did. Queens has M60 and caan use a direct to woodside 125th street route. But deep in queens the QMs are good enough just boost service and make the tough choice charge the high fare for the few upper middle folks or charge the low fare to get maximum ridership?  

LIRR how about a subsidy to crosshonor LIRR passes on NYCT/MTAbus OR cross honor metrocard unlimited and PPR on LIRR for travel between queens and brooklyn or MNRR from bronx to manhattan. However I heard from MNRR people I met even students that the MNRR fare to fordham is very reasonable to them and not as expensive as I people make it out to be. To fordham from Mt vernon it's ONLY $4!!!!!

MTA bus subsidy can be sacrificed and weak express MTA bus lines can just get let go.

Besides other than improving travel between brooklyn and queens and queens to the bronx and SI to brooklyn what local buses need to enter manhattan? Seriously be realistic and come up with lines that DO NOT duplicate the subway and save little to no time over the subway.

I never said that these interborough routes should go through Manhattan... not everyone is heading to/from the city. I was actually talking about improving travel between the outer boroughs. The MTA should be improving travel between Brooklyn, Queens, the Bronx, and SI - it is the transit agency for all five boroughs, not merely Manhattan's transit agency.

There are pretty successful interborough routes in Queens, like the Q60 and Q32 (which hits Penn, Grand Central, Woodside, and Jackson Heights, but stops short of LGA for reasons I'm not aware of...). A Q32 extension to LGA wold connect pretty much all the transport hubs in Manhattan to LGA.

Again, not everyone can afford to splash out $4 whenever they feel like it. The express bus services are supposed to be a premium service, with better comfort levels (theoretically) than the subway. You severely underestimate the psychological impact of a sticker price and marketing - if it looks, smells, sounds, and is waved in your face like it's something you have to pay a lot extra for, people will treat it like it's something you have to pay a lot extra for.

There is currently no visible difference between an unlimited and a pay-per-ride, and an unlimited card that is still valid and one that is not. Unless the MTA installs turnstiles in every city LIRR and MNRR station or gives all of its conductors portable Metrocard readers (which might not even exist), there is no feasible way to cross-honor Metrocards.

Normally I don't hold my breath trying to make up new fantasy routes that will never happen, but since you want an example of one that can go through Manhattan without paralleling existing subway lines , a Q53 BRT (not SBS because that's just paint and new buses) from Columbus Circle to Queensboro Plaza, Woodside, Jackson Heights, and the Rockaways, via 58th/59th Sts, Queens Blvd, Broadway and Woodhaven Blvd, which would roughly parallel the old Rockaway Beach LIRR.

I never said that these interborough routes should go through Manhattan... not everyone is heading to/from the city. I was actually talking about improving travel between the outer boroughs. The MTA should be improving travel between Brooklyn, Queens, the Bronx, and SI - it is the transit agency for all five boroughs, not merely Manhattan's transit agency.

There are pretty successful interborough routes in Queens, like the Q60 and Q32 (which hits Penn, Grand Central, Woodside, and Jackson Heights, but stops short of LGA for reasons I'm not aware of...). A Q32 extension to LGA wold connect pretty much all the transport hubs in Manhattan to LGA.

Again, not everyone can afford to splash out $4 whenever they feel like it. The express bus services are supposed to be a premium service, with better comfort levels (theoretically) than the subway. You severely underestimate the psychological impact of a sticker price and marketing - if it looks, smells, sounds, and is waved in your face like it's something you have to pay a lot extra for, people will treat it like it's something you have to pay a lot extra for.

There is currently no visible difference between an unlimited and a pay-per-ride, and an unlimited card that is still valid and one that is not. Unless the MTA installs turnstiles in every city LIRR and MNRR station or gives all of its conductors portable Metrocard readers (which might not even exist), there is no feasible way to cross-honor Metrocards.

Normally I don't hold my breath trying to make up new fantasy routes that will never happen, but since you want an example of one that can go through Manhattan without paralleling existing subway lines , a Q53 BRT (not SBS because that's just paint and new buses) from Columbus Circle to Queensboro Plaza, Woodside, Jackson Heights, and the Rockaways, via 58th/59th Sts, Queens Blvd, Broadway and Woodhaven Blvd, which would roughly parallel the old Rockaway Beach LIRR.

No need for turnstiles upgrade ticket machines to offer pay via metrocard option to get LIRR tickets to show to conductors. Exactly your right about outerborough service.

The problems with the MTA connecting different transit links have always been a problem. The Q50 is one of those routes where it does connect to two transits hubs but doesn't run frequently. On the other hand there are many changes that could be done to have better connection. Such as buses timing up with other routes.

lol... I wasn't even thinking about a 3 bus commute, but rather one that involved multiple transfers of some sort...

....Which is why I made the stipulation in parentheses when I made the statement:

"(unless you're talking about someone using an interborough local bus & xferring to more than 1 subway afterwards)."

If the subway isn't included when you say "numerous transfers", then we're talking about a commute of 2 or more buses after taking that first initial interborough bus..... That's why I mentioned a 3 bus commute.

Archived