The MTA still struggling mightily with Sandy aftermath (CI Yards)

Shortline Bus

newyork5.jpg

"In a pre-dawn fog that blanked southern Brooklyn, a transit worker bent over a black metal box and used a "crank handle" to move a switch so a work train could proceed from one track to another.

The transit worker had to turn the five-pound tool in a clockwise position about 20 times, using both hands towards the end to muster the necessary force. About 75 feet away, another worker using the same rudimentary tool maneuvered the far end of the switch into place.

The operation could have played out in the early 20th century, but it took place Monday morning as the MTA was firing up the subway system.

For most riders, the subway seems to have recovered fully from Hurricane Sandy. Behind the scenes, however, the system is badly wounded.

Opening and closing the switch for the work train took 10 minutes. Before Sandy, it would have taken 10 seconds.

"The wheels are rolling, but we still have a lot of work to do," Wynton Habersham, chief electrical officer for the subway system, said.

The lingering effects of Sandy are perhaps most starkly illustrated in the Coney Island yards. The yard essentially is part of a larger complex that also includes the adjacent Culver and Stillwell subway yards. About 1,800 subway cars are stored in open air each night."

FYI. The Daily News editors put up the wrong pic in the article. Instead they by mistake put up the the LIRR yards at Atlantic Terminal in Brooklyn. Thus reason for this pic.

Really? Man that superstorm took the yards for a loop for sure. But it is understandable considering the geographical location odf the yards against the storm surges which was beyond description when Hurricane/Superstorm Sandy made landfall. I believe it hit CI first didnt it? causing massive damage to the hundreds signals and switches I imagine as well as the infrastructure and tracks, washed out roadbeds, etc.

@Shortline: Good catch on the goof on the part of the Daily News. I did'nt realize it at first until you highlighted that.

Really? Man that superstorm took the yards for a loop for sure. But it is understandable considering the geographical location odf the yards against the storm surges which was beyond description when Hurricane/Superstorm Sandy made landfall. I believe it hit CI first didnt it? causing massive damage to the hundreds signals and switches I imagine as well as the infrastructure and tracks, washed out roadbeds, etc.

@Shortline: Good catch on the goof on the part of the Daily News. I did'nt realize it at first until you highlighted that.

Hey i lived in the Sea Gate/Coney Island area for 20-plus years and passed by those yards hundred of times lol. So i should know lol.

Archived