What is the steepest grade that subway cars can handle?

bobtehpanda

Going by what Two Timer I believe said in a different thread. (Going by memory). He said T/Os running through the 60th St tubes deliberately go all out past the 55 MPH mark and if they are operating a R160, 60 MPH, in order to maintain decent speed through the tunnel or else they would be crawling after the downgrade. No they would'nt get stuck in the tunnel, I'm sure the BMT artitechs had that in mind while designing the tunnel.

Gotta find that statement, prolly in the speed thread Threxx started.

Once you clear that last timer, you can basically go for the gold until you get to the other side and gravity kicks in again. I think there's a GT50 sign in the outbound tube (or 55, haven't been there in a while) but the fastest I ever seen in there was 61 on a R32 (R) years ago.

Once you clear that last timer, you can basically go for the gold until you get to the other side and gravity kicks in again. I think there's a GT50 sign in the outbound tube (or 55, haven't been there in a while) but the fastest I ever seen in there was 61 on a R32 (R) years ago.

The Last (W) slant that ran thru the tube going SB went 62 mph, I heard the train was rocking so bad people were almost falling out of their seats. That must be the fastest speed a train has gone thru there.

I wonder what it was like before there were any timers leaving Queensboro, trains must have really gotten up to speed in that tube.

Mythbusting on the Steinway tubes:

Steepest in the IRT - yes.

El cars were not built for them, but the Steinway Lo-V's were...they had a different gear ratio to provide more torque, although less top speed. That includes ALL Steinway Lo-V's, a group that also includes the 1938 "World's Fair" Lo-V's.

Speed in the Steinway tubes - they are actually among the slowest tubes in the A DIv. along with Clark St. They have extremely tight clearances due to being built for trolley cars and excessive speed is dangerous because of #1) the short headways of 7 train service means that during rush hours trains travelling at high speed would need to be spaced unreasonably far apart to provide a proper safety margin for emergency stopping (read: reflecting the lesson learned in 1995 from the Willy-B accident), thus causing delays and #2) due to the tight clearances of the tunnel, a train going full speed through those tubes could conceivably sway with the motion and come into contact with equipment or other items in the tunnel. This is why the trains are limited to roughly 25MPH or less when descending the grades in the Steinway tubes, in both directions, and won't ever touch 40.

Fastest tube in A Div is the Joralemon Tube southbound. 15, 25, 35, then all green if nothing's in front of you. A good train can touch 50 in there. Not sure what the grade is as a percent though. Notice I said fastest, not steepest (since obviously that's Steinway).

There is a list...

NYC TRANSIT TRACK LOCATIONS WITH GRADES LARGER THAN 4.0%:

• Manhattan Bridge (Brooklyn and Manhattan approaches), Manhattan Bridge and Brighton/6th Avenue Lines

• Williamsburg Bridge: Manhattan approach,  Jamaica Line

• Steinway Tunnel,  Flushing Line

• 5th Avenue to Grand Central,  Flushing Line

• S/O 36th St. to the 5th Ave. Cut Portal, West End Line (Open cut portion of West End Line)

• 38th St. Yard Viaduct Ramps  West End Line (Open cut portion of West End Line)

• 60th St. Tunnel,  Astoria and 11th St. Cut Lines (connection to Queens Blvd. Lines)

• South of Queensboro Plaza Upper Level  to Astoria Line

• South of Broad St. Jamaica /Nassau Cut Line (to the Montague Street BMT Tunnel to Downtown Brooklyn)

• East N.Y. Yard Lead  Jamaica Line

• North of Eastern Parkway/Broadway Junction  Jamaica Line

• South of  Chambers St. to North of Broadway-Nassau/Fulton St., 8th Avenue Line

• Grant Ave. to 80-Hudson St. Liberty Ave. Line

• North of South Ferry Loop,  7th Avenue Line (Westside IRT 1 train)

http://www.stationreporter.net/tkgrades.htm

The Last (W) slant that ran thru the tube going SB went 62 mph, I heard the train was rocking so bad people were almost falling out of their seats. That must be the fastest speed a train has gone thru there.

I wonder what it was like before there were any timers leaving Queensboro, trains must have really gotten up to speed in that tube.

I rode slants on the (N) and (W) lines through the 60th St tunnel many times. Man, were they fast going through that southbound tunnel. Even now, the R46s on the (R) really haul ass through there.

I rode slants on the (N) and (W) lines through the 60th St tunnel many times. Man, were they fast going through that southbound tunnel. Even now, the R46s on the (R) really haul ass through there.

That's the only stretch where you actually hear the motors on the 46 "growl". Seriously the train starts buffeting and the motors growl a low drone. Pretty wild.

Archived