Local or Express?

40MntVrn

I've noticed on a few different occasions that its sometimes difficult to know if a train is travelling locally or express

Examples: The 5 on weekends may travel local between 125th and 42nd or between 42nd and Bowling Green.

-or-

A primary 2 train travels along the 5 as a Bronx express.

In both cases, you'd have to look at the screens outside the train to figure its status out.

Are there any other lines that are plagued with this problem?

(Not a complaint, just an observation.)

I've noticed on a few different occasions that its sometimes difficult to know if a train is travelling locally or express

Examples: The 5 on weekends may travel local between 125th and 42nd or between 42nd and Bowling Green.

-or-

In both cases, you'd have to look at the screens outside the train to figure its status out.

And the extremely loud automated announcements on the R142 were NO indication?

-or-

Both of those cases are G.O. scenarios which only happen during construction, so I don't understand the issue here.

LTA1992- I may be mistaken, but I thought the Local to Express announcements changed by borough. Correct me if I'm wrong

G.O.'s can last an entire weekend, so there is some significance there. I guess I should have wrote "Not an issue or Complaint"...

I can say this is a problem on the (N) frequently. There are a lot of unscheduled diversions to the local track along 4 Avenue.

This happens even on weeknights if one is trying to get to Manhattan via the (N) N/B during the PM rush (non peak direction). I mean by 8:30-9PM they have the (N) trains dispatched on the local tracks via Dekalb. Which doesn't seem to match up if one looks at the schedules and maps last time I checked. Late night schedules start at 11PM.  I would imagine this would have to do with getting the bulk of the R46 sets to the CI yard or laid up on the 4th Ave S/B tracks south of 36th Street before the late night phase begins to set up for (R) shuttle service. I was thinking too to have the N/B express tracks clear for the (R) shuttle clear so it can utilize the switches north of 36th St for the reversal back to 95th Street. As (D) trains continue as 4th Ave express trains until about 10:30-11PM. That's what I've observed.

Maybe it has to do with the schedules of the train crews too. (TSS's tight on hours worked and payroll against the budgets that they must adhere to in their assigned divisions) I am not sure but these are my wild guesses on that one.

Have you made the same observation?

This happens even on weeknights if one is trying to get to Manhattan via the (N) N/B during the PM rush (non peak direction). I mean by 8:30-9PM they have the (N) trains dispatched on the local tracks via Dekalb. Which doesn't seem to match up if one looks at the schedules and maps last time I checked. Late night schedules start at 11PM.  I would imagine this would have to do with getting the bulk of the R46 sets to the CI yard or laid up on the 4th Ave S/B tracks south of 36th Street before the late night phase begins to set up for (R) shuttle service. I was thinking too to have the N/B express tracks clear for the (R) shuttle clear so it can utilize the switches north of 36th St for the reversal back to 95th Street. As (D) trains continue as 4th Ave express trains until about 10:30-11PM. That's what I've observed.

Maybe it has to do with the schedules of the train crews too. (TSS's tight on hours worked and payroll against the budgets that they must adhere to in their assigned divisions) I am not sure but these are my wild guesses on that one.

Have you made the same observation?

I've always observed Coney Island-bound (D) trains going local before the (N) during evenings. This was when I regularly used the (N) around 9:30~10:30pm from Queensboro Plaza. When the local runs started, it began with the (D) with the (N) trains running express and bypassing the (D) trains all the time. Those same (N) trains also went local after 36 Street. In the other direction, the (D) trains probably still run express while the (N) trains start the local run early, but I have only had glances at the trains on the other side at 36 Street (never taken a train to Manhattan so late). A lot of times, the (D) is on the local track at 36 Street, but switches to the express track upon leaving the station. The express track, at that point, probably "belonged" to the (R).

I've always observed Coney Island-bound (D) trains going local before the (N) during evenings. This was when I regularly used the (N) around 9:30~10:30pm from Queensboro Plaza. When the local runs started, it began with the (D) with the (N) trains running express and bypassing the (D) trains all the time. Those same (N) trains also went local after 36 Street. In the other direction, the (D) trains probably still run express while the (N) trains start the local run early, but I have only had glances at the trains on the other side at 36 Street (never taken a train to Manhattan so late). A lot of times, the (D) is on the local track at 36 Street, but switches to the express track upon leaving the station. The express track, at that point, probably "belonged" to the (R).

I've noticed that during the PM rush southbound on 4th Ave. If say a (N) and a (D) reaches 36th St simultaneously  the place the express (N) arriving at the station switching it to the on the local track instead (or the reverse with the (D) on the local track) to relieve congestion and keep the trains moving. I bet you this was the practice for years ever since the BMT was running the line before the city takeover and unification in the 40's.

I've also noticed that if the (D) and the (N) approaches the switches simultaneously west of Dekalb Ave coming from the Manny B on the southbound, the (N) takes priority switching to the express tracks on Dekalb Ave before the (D) does the same on the express tracks tailing the (N). On that one not sure why, I guess it definitely has in part to do with a stragedy to mitigate congestion on the bridge approach to the Manny B on the BK side, and to keep the (N) on time as the (N) is prone to delays, prolly all the way back from the Broadway line. 

I've also noticed that if the (D) and the (N) approaches the switches simultaneously west of Dekalb Ave coming from the Manny B on the southbound, the (N) takes priority switching to the express tracks on Dekalb Ave before the (D) does the same on the express tracks tailing the (N). On that one not sure why, I guess it definitely has in part to do with a stragedy to mitigate congestion on the bridge approach to the Manny B on the BK side, and to keep the (N) on time as the (N) is prone to delays, prolly all the way back from the Broadway line. 

I see this differently on the (N). The (D) almost always gets in the way and then slows down the (N) train by being slow all the way to 36 Street.

I see this differently on the (N). The (D) almost always gets in the way and then slows down the (N) train by being slow all the way to 36 Street.

Yeah that makes sense because sometimes (D) trains comes back to back southbound esp. in the afternoon, weekdays, holding up the (N). That can get annoying because I frequent Brooklyn Chinatown alot and need to get that Sea Beach Express. But what I meant was when the (N) approaches the Dekalb Ave switches simultaneously with the (D)  S/B from the Manny B the (N) seems to always gets priority. After that then yeah the pattern you are seeing, I was seeing that as well.

LTA1992- I may be mistaken, but I thought the Local to Express announcements changed by borough. Correct me if I'm wrong

G.O.'s can last an entire weekend, so there is some significance there. I guess I should have wrote "Not an issue or Complaint"...

Then you check before you leave your house OR read the signs in the stations. The (MTA) gives you notice of these things a week in advance. The only time where there are aren't posted G.Os are when something unexpected like a broken rail or something happens. If the Conductor knows this in advance, he can change the announcements to match the service change. If he can't, then he will do them manually. Announcements change by borough but in cases where there are Express variants already in place, the regular local train would most likely say "express" when running express or vice versa.  If a (2) went express in the Bronx, I believe it would say (2) Express Train on the announcements. If the (5) went local in Manhattan, then at 125th Street (Southbound), it would say (5) local train. It's got more to do with people not paying attention to announcements than things being not posted.

Then you check before you leave your house OR read the signs in the stations. The (MTA) gives you notice of these things a week in advance. The only time where there are aren't posted G.Os are when something unexpected like a broken rail or something happens. If the Conductor knows this in advance, he can change the announcements to match the service change. If he can't, then he will do them manually. Announcements change by borough but in cases where there are Express variants already in place, the regular local train would most likely say "express" when running express or vice versa.  If a (2) went express in the Bronx, I believe it would say (2) Express Train on the announcements. If the (5) went local in Manhattan, then at 125th Street (Southbound), it would say (5) local train. It's got more to do with people not paying attention to announcements than things being not posted.

Yes, yes, I'm well aware to check the website before leaving to ensure trains and lines are running properly. To be honest, the website typically doesn't post ALL of the changes. To veer off topic slightly, this weekend was the first in 5+ weeks the (5) ran to Bowling Green. The last 3 weekends, work was being done between 3rd Av & Grand CC. The other weekends, who knows what was going on, because those changes weren't posted and the (5) shuttle was in place.

What I'm discussing is that there's a 'blind's eye' until you reach 125th as those announcements to don't switch until then. But again, I'm sure the answer would be to check before leaving.

To be honest, the website typically doesn't post ALL of the changes.

UM... yes they do. have you ever actually taken a good look at the Weekender?

Unless there is an emergency and all hell has broken loose, they're preaty straight forward with what's going on. They can make mistakes in spelling or wording now and then, but they are human.

I can say this is a problem on the (N) frequently. There are a lot of unscheduled diversions to the local track along 4 Avenue.

I have seen Coney Island Bound (N) trains on the local track at 59 st at 8 A.M in the morning on Sunday. I always see an (R) layup on the express track.

UM... yes they do. have you ever actually taken a good look at the Weekender?

Unless there is an emergency and all hell has broken loose, they're preaty straight forward with what's going on. They can make mistakes in spelling or wording now and then, but they are human.

Again, not to veer off topic, but I religiously check that website before departure. It may be far in between, but there have been times where the website isn't up-to-the minute. That's doesn't go without out saying that for the most part, the site very accurate.

Archived