St. Louis Car Co's artist render of the R39

pelhamlocal

So it was going to be an IRT version of the R-38........wish they were made !!

If they were, the 3rd Avenue El (Bronx section) and the Myrtle El would still be running. If only....

Thatnks!

So it was the old R36 and before lighting too. (Wondery why).

Also, from that picture, it looks like a prewar clerestory roof  (where there are no side vents, so the middle of the roof where the fans are is raised higher then the sides, only this would be visible from the outside only on this one).

(It would also be ribbed, like the R32)

Though that first picture in the earlier post doesn't show that.

It would have been interesting to have seen the R-39- a lightweight, ribbed stainless-steel version of the R-36 with a clerestory roof.  It also would have been very strange.  I've always asked myself though: why couldn't they have simply reconfigured the Myrtle El so that it could handle normal subway cars? Why did they have to go so far as to come up with a whole new car class? 

It would have been interesting to have seen the R-39- a lightweight, ribbed stainless-steel version of the R-36 with a clerestory roof.  It also would have been very strange.  I've always asked myself though: why couldn't they have simply reconfigured the Myrtle El so that it could handle normal subway cars? Why did they have to go so far as to come up with a whole new car class? 

Some of the els would require significant levels of reengineering. Heck, even the Jamaica El, built under the Dual Contracts, can't have a third track added to the eastern segment due to the amount of vibration that it would cause (and thus cause the supports to fail).

(Also, because everybody hated els, and the segment of the (G) under Lafayette was considered "good enough".)

Eric B pretty much said it. If they did keep the Els the R39s would of been running on them for the most part. They probably would of fixed up the stations and rehab the line a bit, but it wouldn't be anything drastic like running normal subway cars and so forth. It would of been very odd to see clerestory roofed rolling stock being built by that point as the last of such cars had or were retiring at that point in time. Would of made the R39s look older then they appear to be.

Archived