Staten Island toll cheat busted after breaking officer’s arm in bid to avoid paying Verrazano fees

Turbo19

bridge13n-5-web.jpg

Steven Gorelik was charged with theft of service, reckless endangerment and leaving the scene of an accident.

A Staten Island motorist busted a Bridge and Tunnel officer’s arm while piggy-backing another car to avoid paying the pricey toll on the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge, authorities said Friday.

Even after clipping the officer with his side-view mirror on Sunday, a brazen Steven Gorelik pulled the scam two more times until his luck ran out Thursday morning, authorities said.

That’s when he drove right into a roadblock waiting for him by the toll plaza on Staten Island.

Gorelik, 30, allegedly confessed at the scene and now faces charges that include assault on a police officer — all to save a grand total of $18.

In addition to allegedly assaulting Officer Paul Padilla, Gorelik was charged with theft of service, reckless endangerment and leaving the scene of an accident.

A MTA spokeswoman, Judy Glave, said investigators are trying to determine, by reviewing video, if Gorelik has scammed the agency in the past.

Read more: Source

It's called a Metrocard everyone! B-)

one problem dude buses in SI only serve bay ridge. Transit access between SI and Brooklyn is horrible try getting to CI or sheepshead bay without wasting an hour or more on a slow infrequently running bus or roundabout subway ride it can't be done without driving.

one problem dude buses in SI only serve bay ridge. Transit access between SI and Brooklyn is horrible try getting to CI or sheepshead bay without wasting an hour or more on a slow infrequently running bus or roundabout subway ride it can't be done without driving.

Aren't you overlooking some Staten Island routes? The "X" routes perhaps.

Now that the x17 goes to bay ridge

Which is great... as long as you don't need to do business in Brooklyn on weekdays!

But then again, I suppose it was a very conscious decision after all to find a place to live in (north)western SI.

Now that the x17 goes to bay ridge

does it go to Coney island or sheepshead bay? NOPE Try again.

Which is great... as long as you don't need to do business in Brooklyn on weekdays!

But then again, I suppose it was a very conscious decision after all to find a place to live in (north)western SI.

Exactly.

They must be crazy, breaking their arm not to pay a toll; What would I rather pay? I'D RATHER PLAY 2-FREAKING-50 rather then paying around 100,000 for the hospital AND have my arm broken. Sheesh.

They must be crazy, breaking their arm not to pay a toll; What would I rather pay? I'D RATHER PLAY 2-FREAKING-50 rather then paying around 100,000 for the hospital AND have my arm broken. Sheesh.

You read the article wrong it states the polices arm broke not the toll invader.

You read the article wrong it states the polices arm broke not the toll invader.

Yeah, though it's still wrong either way you look at it.

Yeah, what the poster above said. Either way public transit is much easier. Just drop a few coins into the farebox and I'm off to Brooklyn.

• 1 month later...
Guest Bonnetd0201

They should bring back cars on the ferry

Sure the security risk , but if they buy one of those high tech security devices they use in trucks in high ways it would work In the city favor

• 2 weeks later...

Archived