What With The (2) and (5) In Utica???

N-Trizzy2609

I was going to McDonald's today in Utica. I went there straight shot on the (3) and took me like 15 mins from the museum so on the way back I want to look for a faster way to get back with piping hot food. The R142A (4) came in and I sat down and waited for it to take off. While waiting I saw a R142 (5) train pull in on the local track. I was like WTF? Then after an R142 (2) came behind it!!! I was so confused. It took me even longer to get back even going (4) Express. Ironically, I need the local at Franklin, and the same (2) back from Utica was the train I got on. Can someone please tell me why the (2) and (5) were at Utica today? If it helps, it was around 6 PM.

I was going to McDonald's today in Utica. I went there straight shot on the (3) and took me like 15 mins from the museum so on the way back I want to look for a faster way to get back with piping hot food. The R142A (4) came in and I sat down and waited for it to take off. While waiting I saw a R142 (5) train pull in on the local track. I was like WTF? Then after an R142 (2) came behind it!!! I was so confused. It took me even longer to get back even going (4) Express. Ironically, I need the local at Franklin, and the same (2) back from Utica was the train I got on. Can someone please tell me why the (2) and (5) were at Utica today? If it helps, it was around 6 PM.

The (2) and (5) leave from New Lots Avenue during limited rush hours to ease congestion from Flatbush Avenue.....I think!

Ok SOME rush Hours the (2)(4)<5> are extended to New Lots, to get to the Livonia Yard in the Brooklyn (AM Rush), PM rush it heads to the Bronx normal via the(3) FROM Livonia Yard

Since the Yards in the bronx are in use during Mid day service mate

*(5) would sometimes just terminate at Utica, and return back, I think

Ok SOME rush Hours the (2)(4)<5> are extended to New Lots, to get to the Livonia Yard in the Brooklyn (AM Rush), PM rush it heads to the Bronx normal via the(3) FROM Livonia Yard

Since the Yards in the bronx are in use during Mid day service mate

*(5) would sometimes just terminate at Utica, and return back, I think

But, he said all of this happened at 6 PM. The put-ins stop at 5:45, at least usually. That's weird.

But, he said all of this happened at 6 PM. The put-ins stop at 5:45, at least usually. That's weird.

ya but it still runs at that time, well the last set of cars I also forgot to say, it does it both direction AM/PM hours. SInce I do notice the (2) sometimes and<5> all the times heading via the (3)

I see what you mean. I was coming home around the same time, my (3) train had to do a Battery Run because it was so late (5:45 PM). It is possible that they sent a (2) or a (5) behind it to get some intervals in, even though a (3) was directly behind me. By the way, I also saw a 240th St set of R62As coming from Livonia at Pennsylvania Av.

Perhaps it was to ease congestion on the Nostrand Avenue (2)/(5) tracks. 6pm can be a high congestion time in that area.

Some (5) trains are sent to Utica Ave to prevent a major back-up. If it gets real bad or a train is very late, can they send them to Utica to turn-around?

I use the (2) line frequently (not Today though)... and because of the number of trains sent down to Flatbush during rush, it can take as 20 minutes or more to get from Franklin Ave, into the Flatbush Ave. station. The normal during off-peak is 10.

It gets real bad if say the Lex. Av line or 7th Ave. line is sluggish in Manhattan.... and a (2) and (5) train arrive at Franklin at the same time. Both have to merge into the Nostrand Ave tunnel. I've seen several times, where the lead car will bypass nearly all the stops and run express to Flatbush, just to keep things moving.

Boy, I wish there was just 1 more track along that stretch... would make getting home much faster.

Tuesday afternoon, after 5 pm, there were signal problems at Utica Ave N/B. This affected all trains leaving Utica Ave and New Lots Ave,(2),(3),(4),(5), for a while. The (2) and (5) trains were from New Lots for pm rush hour service. They usually are through Utica by 5:35 or so but didn't leave the yard until the signal problems cleared up. That's why you saw them so late on Tuesday.

The (2) and (5) leave from New Lots Avenue during limited rush hours to ease congestion from Flatbush Avenue.....I think!

Good job, there, you are absolutely correct! (2) and (5) run via the (3)(4) to clear the Flatbush Avenue line of congestion.

It dosen't make any sense to have the (2) and (5) lines go to Utica Av during rush hours because that will cause delays on the (4) train.

Too late. There's nowhere else to send them. They decide to stack up Utica rather than stack up Flatbush.

It dosen't make any sense to have the (2) and (5) lines go to Utica Av during rush hours because that will cause delays on the (4) train.

It's easier to relay more trains at Utica than at Flatbush because at Flatbush after trains get their lineups into the station (yay ATS B)), then they have to wait for their follower to cross over in front of them and get another lineup before they can leave (and crew change has to be done QUICK here). At Utica it's more seamless. Trains come in, pick up a switchman, leave the station, dump in the relay past the switch, charge from the other end and back in on the lower level. Plus a number of trains can be in the relay at once.

Plus while it may slow things down, turning trains at Utica is relatively seamless b/c the (5) is already sharing track with the (4) so unless there's a slow T/O or a sick passenger, or some kind of FUBAR, the intervals should be juuust long enough to get the relay going. However sending the (2) out there can jack things up because then you got a crossover at Rogers Junction just past Franklin...

The (5) is cool because it's the most varied service. You got North Terminals at Dyre and Nereid, then you got South Terminals at South Ferry, Flatbush, Utica, and even New Lots. And of course E180th is both a South and a North Terminal depending on what run you're talking about. And then sometimes with GO's you get 3rd Av-149 as a North Terminal too and 42nd/GCT at South...

is that also why over the years they stopped terminating the (4)(5)'s at atlantic ave? to ease up congestion?i remember those days boy...in my joyriding days id get off the (D) at atlantic to get the (5) waiting on the express platform to take up to dyre ave and back usually would change to the (2) at E. 180

If they are running through service through Atlantic Avenue tks 2 and 3, it's not safe to relay trains there because they will have to wrong rail either in or out of the station which to do so safely would cause delays...so you won't see Atlantic used as a terminal unless EVERYTHING on those express tracks is terminating there, which you still see from time to time with G.O.'s

is that also why over the years they stopped terminating the (4)(5)'s at atlantic ave? to ease up congestion?i remember those days boy...in my joyriding days id get off the (D) at atlantic to get the (5) waiting on the express platform to take up to dyre ave and back usually would change to the (2) at E. 180

The (4) and (5) stopped terminating at Atlantic Ave when the (MTA) went to full time express service in Brooklyn during midday hours. Riders complained about having to change for local service to reach the majority of stations in Brooklyn while the (A) ran express to those same neighborhoods. What many people don't realize is that the terminal for the (5) was Utica Ave, and the (4) went to Flatbush Ave and only served Utica when the (5) didn't come to BK, weekends and late nights. Livonia Yard served the (2) and (5) lines primarily at that time. Today there are still (5) trains originating at New Lots for am and pm rush hour service. There are also (2) trains originating there for pm rush hour service. After both rush hours there are (5) and (2) trains whose destinations are Utica Ave or New Lots Ave. I'm old enough to remember when the (2) ran from East 180th St or Dyre Ave to New Lots, before the (2) and (5) switched North terminals. So seeing a (2) or (5) at Utica is not really new to some of us.

Archived