Old Video: What Happened Here?

MHV9218

Found this one on YouTube, it's (now retired) C40LF 925. I assume there was some fire in the engine compartment, but what would cause this much steam-smoke (the guy filming was coughing, so it can't just be steam) to come straight out of the exhaust pipe?

That is a blown turbo, it happened to me last year when I was working on the B4.

Interesting. I had always thought blown turbos gave off really dark, almost pitch black smoke -- at least, that's what's happened on some of the hybrids up at Mannyville. 

Interesting. I had always thought blown turbos gave off really dark, almost pitch black smoke -- at least, that's what's happened on some of the hybrids up at Mannyville.

they do...that is most likely coolant pouring out directly on to the turbo, the manifold, or the exhaust pipe.

they do...that is most likely coolant pouring out directly on to the turbo, the manifold, or the exhaust pipe.

my gues is blown head gasket, Antifreeze is burning up in the engine, and thus  produces white smoke ( atleast that is how it is in the car )

So if this white smoke is coming from burning coolant or antifreeze, that's a pretty toxic thing, no? I've always been under the impression that if you burn antifreeze in a car there's only so much you can inhale before it starts to damage your throat, ethylene glycol or something like that. That's a bit of a problem lol...

Archived