Overnight bus service

Via Garibaldi 8

Quite honestly, I didn't see what you said to him as being snide.....

The basis of your post was defending overnight service.... Which I don't disagree with.

I didn't say it in my post, but the basis of me thinking that we should be grateful that we have overnight service in this city is solely & strictly due to the fact that the MTA are as frugal as they are..... As for what Amtrak meant when he made the remark, well he can defend himself....

Yeah, that's the thing... the MTA puts more of its focus on improving the subways...

With bus service being secondarily treated in this city, just getting them to improve bus service during the day is a chore in & of itself.... Have them tell it, they are improving bus service system-wide by making cuts here & there (which never made sense to me, but whatever)....Them improving overnight service I see as being that far-fetched.....

Okay, then we can call it frank then... As for Amtrak, he doesn't need to defend himself.  He has no clue about other people's needs outside of his own, nor people's commuting habits.  This is the same "guy" (he's a kid actually so his thinking process isn't exactly shocking) that has advocated for cuts to the LIRR overnight along with cuts to bus service here in NYC which he bases solely upon ridership numbers which are just that... Numbers... The (MTA) would be foolish to continue to slash overnight service, but I certainly agree with you about them constantly looking to cut bus service in general.  That's how they "fix" bus service.

Okay, then we can call it frank then... As for Amtrak, he doesn't need to defend himself.  He has no clue about other people's needs outside of his own, nor people's commuting habits.  This is the same "guy" (he's a kid actually so his thinking process isn't exactly shocking) that has advocated for cuts to the LIRR overnight along with cuts to bus service here in NYC which he bases solely upon ridership numbers which are just that... Numbers... The (MTA) would be foolish to continue to slash overnight service, but I certainly agree with you about them constantly looking to cut bus service in general.  That's how they "fix" bus service.

The point I'm making is, I wasn't looking for anything (as you originally put it).... So I didn't see it as snide, frank, or w/e synonym you wanna use... Largely because it wasn't aimed at me, and I agreed with the premise with which your comments were of....

As for Amtrak himself, I'm not gonna get into an Amtrak roasting session because I don't have a problem with the kid..... That, and I personally haven't noticed any agenda he has (of which you've just pointed out here).... Whether you think he needs to defend himself or not is one thing, but surely he's gonna come in here & explain himself (or make some type of retort to what you said about him)....

As for the cut cut cut damn cut attitude the MTA exudes when it comes to bus service, unfortunately, they use the same criteria (Numbers) upon deciding whether to cut some route..... They see riders in general (bus or subway riders) as numbers, not actual people with actual travel needs.... I know you say you agree, but I'm still elaborating on the point - Seeing riders as numbers/statistics/whatever is what happens when you get too big for your own damn good.... Take what we give you & Shut the hell up.....

No wonder people w/o cars are choosing to leave this city.... And we're one of the more (if not THE most) transit dependent cities in the world too.... And we're supposed to be the city that never sleeps, yet it's hell to catch a bus (of which even runs overnight) during the wee hrs. of the morning.... I can imagine how much of a killing yellow cabs make during those times....

The point I'm making is, I wasn't looking for anything (as you originally put it).... So I didn't see it as snide, frank, or w/e synonym you wanna use... Largely because it wasn't aimed at me, and I agreed with the premise with which your comments were of....

As for Amtrak himself, I'm not gonna get into an Amtrak roasting session because I don't have a problem with the kid..... That, and I personally haven't noticed any agenda he has (of which you've just pointed out here).... Whether you think he needs to defend himself or not is one thing, but surely he's gonna come in here & explain himself (or make some type of retort to what you said about him)....

As for the cut cut cut damn cut attitude the MTA exudes when it comes to bus service, unfortunately, they use the same criteria (Numbers) upon deciding whether to cut some route..... They see riders in general (bus or subway riders) as numbers, not actual people with actual travel needs.... I know you say you agree, but I'm still elaborating on the point - Seeing riders as numbers/statistics/whatever is what happens when you get too big for your own damn good.... Take what we give you & Shut the hell up.....

No wonder people w/o cars are choosing to leave this city.... And we're one of the more (if not THE most) transit dependent cities in the world too.... And we're supposed to be the city that never sleeps, yet it's hell to catch a bus (of which even runs overnight) during the wee hrs. of the morning.... I can imagine how much of a killing yellow cabs make during those times....

Yeah, I see so many yellow taxis coming from the city to Riverdale late at night on my block and surrounding blocks... It's amazing and also disturbing and I consider my neighborhood to have pretty decent transportation from the city.

Yeah, I see so many yellow taxis coming from the city to Riverdale late at night on my block and surrounding blocks...

It's amazing and also disturbing and I consider my neighborhood to have pretty decent transportation from the city.

I find it to be absolutely disturbing that I'm now seeing yellow cabs down around DUMBO & Downtown Brooklyn.... Not just during the early hrs., but during all times of the day.... Shit, 10 years or so ago, you would've never saw ONE cross any of the manhattan crossings....

I find it to be absolutely disturbing that I'm now seeing yellow cabs down around DUMBO & Downtown Brooklyn.... Not just during the early hrs., but during all times of the day.... Shit, 10 years or so ago, you would've never saw ONE cross any of the manhattan crossings....

A lot of them seem to be out-of-towners who are perfectly fine splurging $35 - 40 regularly AFTER they've already blown God knows what out for the night in the city. I overheard one guy somewhere in the city talking about it and how he spends "X" dollars on cabs from the city to Brooklyn.  On the other hand though when I was living on Staten Island, sometimes the express bus service was so bad that I would consider just taking a cab directly from the city.  I haven't considered it yet since I moved to Riverdale becuase the buses are usually on point but at the worst what I would probably do is just take a cab to Metro North and walk home from there.  With Bus Time now though I would be more inclined to take the bus unless I was totally smashed and just too lazy or there wasn't enough time. 

What I used to do from time to time if I was out late and or smashed was take a yellow taxi to say meet the last the X1 Downtown on the weekends, then get car service from there on Hylan, so it was still close to or over $30.00 because at least that way you avoid paying for the tolls which can be $20.00+ alone.

This is why we need to restore some overnight bus service on several routes. I think some of them were unjustified, tbh.

Archived