Overnight bus service

Via Garibaldi 8

And Bx6, Bx15, Bx19, and M60. (All of them are crosstown in Manhattan.)

What I would openly wonder though is: should there be a separate overnight route network? Toronto has a special "Blue Route" network of overnight routes.

I forgot about the M60. Thanks.

I think adding Q53 overnight service helps the Rockways in case of another hurricane. This way it can serve Broad Channel when there was no (A) service. When I check bus time most overnight routes use less than 5 buses. With the busiest overnight routes may have 5 or a little above 5.

You probably here B100 buses, as those buses deadhead at late hours.

It could also be other Flathbush Depot buses Deadheading.

Must be that, or maybe the  :bus_bullet_b82: is loud enough to be heard from Kings Highway.

@B35 asking for a list of every route with no overnight service: Challenge accepted  :P

Bronx: Bx1, Bx2, Bx3, Bx4, Bx5, Bx7, Bx8, Bx11, Bx13, Bx16, Bx17, Bx18, Bx20, Bx23, Bx24, Bx26, Bx29, Bx30, Bx31, Bx32, Bx33, Bx34*, Bx38, Bx39+, Bx42, Bx46

Note: Bx34 lost overnight service in June 2010

Note: Bx39 gained overnight service between in June 2010, between Gun Hill Road and 241 St only, to replace truncated Bx41 service

Brooklyn: B2, B4, B7*, B9, B11, B13, B16, B20, B24, B31*, B32, B39^, B45*, B49, B57*, B64*, B65*, B67*, B70, B74, B83, B84, B100, B103

Note: B7, B31, B45, B57, B64, B65 and B67 lost overnight service in June 2010. B39 also ran overnight prior to being eliminated in June 2010, but does not run overnight after being restored in 2013.

Manhattan: M1*, M3, M4, M5, M8*, M9, M10, M11, M20, M21, M22*, M31, M34SBS/M34ASBS*, M35, M50*, M57, M66*, M72, M98, M100, M106, M116

Note: M1, M8, M22, M50 and M66 lost overnight service in June 2010, as did the M34ASBS, previously known as the M16. 

Queens: Q7, Q8, Q9, Q13, Q15/Q15A, Q16, Q18, Q19, Q20Q/Q20B, Q21, Q22, Q23, Q26, Q29, Q30, Q31, Q32, Q34, Q37, Q38, Q40, Q41, Q42, Q47, Q48, Q49, Q50, Q52, Q67, Q69, Q72, Q76, Q77, Q84, Q88, Q102, Q103, Q112 

Note: Q53 and Q64 gained overnight service in September 2013

Staten Island: S42, S44, S52, S54, S55, S56, S57, S59, S60, S61, S66, S76, S79SBS, as well as all Limited counterparts (S81, S84, S86, S89, S91, S92, S93, S94, S96, S98) 

Express Bus: No overnight service across the board, except the X1, which gained it in January 2013. 

....My list included only routes that have no service at all overnight.

- Lol @ challenge..... Looks like you had some time to kill out of boredom there didn't ya ;)....

- ...But yeah, Your list was exactly what I was looking for... Think it proved the point I wanted to make, in me even asking about all the routes that don't run overnight (I didn't think it was that many across the board, to tell the god's honest truth).... It's gonna take a hell of a lot more than the invention of Bustime for the MTA to consider adding overnight service to em, flat out.... I mean, Bustime is a useful tool for its intended purpose, but this notion that there'll be any type of direct service changes (increases or decreases) due to it, nahhh....

These frugalites that run our city's buses & trains have enough on their "plate"....

I think B31 needs to have overnight service because it's the only connection to the subway for Gerstein Beach riders

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk now Free

Plenty patrons of different neighborhoods can make that same case regarding overnight bus service in their neighborhood....

Sent from my HP Pavilion a1500 PC whose internal fan is loud than a mothaf**ka right now....

How do you do that with the rectangles and colors?

Just select whichever route icon you want from the forum's list of smilies....

I don't think I ever used them since they were added to the forum (from the last set of bus bullets we had on here, which were severely lacking in text visibility).... These new ones are MUCH better... So lemme take the time to use them in a post for like, the first time... lol...

Even though I live around here, I can't stand the :bus_bullet_b35_ltd: .... Because it aint all that different than the :bus_bullet_b35: time savings-wise !

Wow, :bus_bullet_b2: and :bus_bullet_b31: don't run overnight? Weird, because I swear that I hear buses outside when I'm trying to sleep.

Yep, they're either Q35's or buses going in/out of FLA (flatbush depot).....

This question is a serious one to ask: should the MTA consider an overnight route network (with special routes that run from 11:30 PM until 5:30 AM in the outer boroughs (10 AM to 5:30 AM on Sunday nights), especially the Bronx, Brooklyn, and Queens)? These nighttime routes may not necessarily follow the daytime routes, but could better service certain areas. The next-busiest mass transit system in the USA and Canada, the TTC, does have an overnight route network.

This question is a serious one to ask: should the MTA consider an overnight route network (with special routes that run from 11:30 PM until 5:30 AM in the outer boroughs (10 AM to 5:30 AM on Sunday nights), especially the Bronx, Brooklyn, and Queens)? These nighttime routes may not necessarily follow the daytime routes, but could better service certain areas. The next-busiest mass transit system in the USA and Canada, the TTC, does have an overnight route network.

The night bus network is optimized as it is - those that are discontinued during the nights are coverage routes or parallel subway lines, and in any case pretty much all areas unserved at nights have some alternate bus service that's a half-mile walk away.

London as far as I can remember also had a network of night routes including an airport run

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk now Free

Another note is the Q22 had overnight service when (A) service was knocked out in the Rockaways. Albeit from Mott to 116.

Overnight Q22's, Yep.... I rode it from 116th (after coming off the Q35) to Mott.... Then caught that (A) shuttle bus that ran from Mott to Howard Beach.... I know that was a temporary terminal, but too bad buses can't end on that side of the Howard Beach station.....

This question is a serious one to ask:

should the MTA consider an overnight route network (with special routes that run from 11:30 PM until 5:30 AM in the outer boroughs (10 AM to 5:30 AM on Sunday nights), especially the Bronx, Brooklyn, and Queens)? These nighttime routes may not necessarily follow the daytime routes, but could better service certain areas.

The current bus routes that are ran overnights more or less is based off (high or low) daytime ridership....

That perhaps should change, but how would you go about even creating an overnight bus route network in this city?

I think it could be something worth delving into, but it would either likely mean longer routes (some type of combination of routes [within reason] that run out of the same depot or w/e), or a mass confusion that would involve diverting current routes elsewhere.... That's the problem.

Be grateful you have overnight service....

I was gonna post something to that effect, but I didn't wanna have to put up w/ some snide ass remark that would end up coming from someone on here in having pointed that out... It's been done on here before when someone else mentioned that the MTA doesn't have to supply us w/ overnight service.....

Be grateful you have overnight service. Some major cities don't have any form of overnight transit service, DC, Boston, and Pittsburgh come to mind.

This isn't about us being grateful.  You live in the boonies out in Long Island so what do you know about the importance of transportation here in New York City? I'm not concerned with what other cities have and don't have and quite frankly don't care.  The fact of the matter is NYC is not DC, Boston or any other city for that matter, where a large amount of the population doesn't drive or own a car.  Here we encourage the use of public transportation and that's the way it is because without it this city would be in utter chaos.   

Then again why am I not shocked at your response?  You don't have a clue about how things run here in NYC anyway and the fact that people are out and about all the time, including for work.  I support overnight service mainly because I know how some people rely on it even though it wouldn't really benefit me since I don't really use it.

I was gonna post something to that effect, but I didn't wanna have to put up w/ some snide ass remark that would end up coming from someone on here in having pointed that out... It's been done on here before when someone else mentioned that the MTA doesn't have to supply us w/ overnight service.....

Well there's the snide remark you were looking for above...  :D

The SI Network:

S40, S46, S48 Grandview ave loop. (S46 every 30)

S51 as is

S53 every 1 hr, including a shuttle that runs between 86 st and clove rd every 20

S59 from pt rich to ETC every 50 mts

S62 to richmond av

S74 to ETC

S78 to Hugenot

Add X1 every 60 the way it was.

I don't understand this last one?? The X1 runs 24 hours and runs hourly overnight and sometimes more frequently than that.  

The current bus routes that are ran overnights more or less is based off (high or low) daytime ridership....

That perhaps should change, but how would you go about even creating an overnight bus route network in this city?

I think it could be something worth delving into, but it would either likely mean longer routes (some type of combination of routes [within reason] that run out of the same depot or w/e), or a mass confusion that would involve diverting current routes elsewhere.... That's the problem.

When I lived in Italy in Florence (a city without subways) we had buses that ran overnight that started at around 24:00.  They didn't necessarily parallel the day time routes either but they were interesting nevertheless. I usually walked to where ever I needed to go late at night or took a cab, but a few times I actually used them and they were pretty well used and efficient considering how late at night it was.

I think it comes down to first improving bus service in general during the day and then later on they can focus on making bus service overnight better.  With the population growing and Bus Time coming to every borough soon, you could see more people using buses at night since you can track them rather than taking a cab if they want to save some cash.

London as far as I can remember also had a network of night routes including an airport run

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk now Free

Most major European cities have a network of night routes because they encourage people to take public transit to reduce smog and NYC should do the same.  London has been extremely aggressive in reducing car traffic in general, so isn't at all surprising to me.  Most cities around Europe are like this and NYC being one of the most important cities in the world should be leading the way in setting the example.

Well there's the snide remark you were looking for above...  :D

Quite honestly, I didn't see what you said to him as being snide.....

The basis of your post was defending overnight service.... Which I don't disagree with.

I didn't say it in my post, but the basis of me thinking that we should be grateful that we have overnight service in this city is solely & strictly due to the fact that the MTA are as frugal as they are..... As for what Amtrak meant when he made the remark, well he can defend himself....

I think it comes down to first improving bus service in general during the day and then later on they can focus on making bus service overnight better.

Yeah, that's the thing... the MTA puts more of its focus on improving the subways...

With bus service being secondarily treated in this city, just getting them to improve bus service during the day is a chore in & of itself.... Have them tell it, they are improving bus service system-wide by making cuts here & there (which never made sense to me, but whatever)....Them improving overnight service I see as being that far-fetched.....

Archived