R27 / R30 Farewell - History in the Making

M. Friday 1986

VG8, out of all the possible threads in the subway forum, you had to put your opinion into this one....

In other words, it is what it is with the R27/R30's. I can see why, but it would've been nice if they preserved one.

Well they do have two more besides 8506. 

Ignore him. It's not worth the time or effort.

I don't think operating them is the idea, static display is probably what they're thinking. An A and B car of the R110A set is to be saved, along with an A car from the R110B set.

Don't get me wrong. I'd love to see the 110s at the museum, but they're too similar to the 142s and 143s. If the Transit Museum wanted to have an exhibit on the new tech trains, it'd be much easier and cheaper to pull a five-car set of 142s or a four-car set of 143s out of service and put them on display than it would be fix up the 110s, even if they wouldn't have to move on their own power.

If I'm not mistaken, this is the same reason why no 44s were saved. The 46s are similar enough and are in much better condition than their older cousins were.

Ignore him. It's not worth the time or effort.

Don't get me wrong. I'd love to see the 110s at the museum, but they're too similar to the 142s and 143s. If the Transit Museum wanted to have an exhibit on the new tech trains, it'd be much easier and cheaper to pull a five-car set of 142s or a four-car set of 143s out of service and put them on display than it would be fix up the 110s, even if they wouldn't have to move on their own power.

If I'm not mistaken, this is the same reason why no 44s were saved. The 46s are similar enough and are in much better condition than their older cousins were.

An R44 was saved actually (#5240). It was on display in the TM during busfest.

• 6 months later...

Why did they scrap the last R-27 in existence? Christ.

wwwwhhhhhyyyyyy :(  :(  :(

whyyyyy.png

they preserved at least 1 r16 r17 r21 r22 r26 r28 r29 r30 r33wf r33ml r36wf r36ml r38 r40 r40a but not r27

even if the last one was in bad condition why didn't they preserve a pair when most of them were getting retired

First off, the 27s and 30s are virtually identical. If the choice is between an unsalvageable car or one from a car class that is very similar but in better condition, the Transit Museum is going to go with the latter.

Secondly, stop necroposting. If a topic hasn't seen a reply in a long time (let's say 60 days as a nice round number), please don't add to it unless otherwise necessary.

Archived