R27 / R30 Farewell - History in the Making

M. Friday 1986

I was speaking in general when I said that.

Sure you were... On a thread pertaining specifically to the scrapping of two cars that haven't been in passenger service since the '90s. Nobody was talking about just sending these old and damaged cars back into service. Most of the discussion was about why they weren't added to the museum fleet and fixed up so they could run like the Low-Vs or the Arnines. So you can get off your soapbox about how some would rather have unsafe trains on the rails simply because they hold some historical significance or are simply old because that wasn't the issue. I sometimes wonder if you like to post asinine comments just to get a rise out of everyone else.

Sure you were... On a thread pertaining specifically to the scrapping of two cars that haven't been in passenger service since the '90s. Nobody was talking about just sending these old and damaged cars back into service. Most of the discussion was about why they weren't added to the museum fleet and fixed up so they could run like the Low-Vs or the Arnines. So you can get off your soapbox about how some would rather have unsafe trains on the rails simply because they hold some historical significance or are simply old because that wasn't the issue. I sometimes wonder if you like to post asinine comments just to get a rise out of everyone else.

If I didn't know any better I would think you were a mod... In any event, I stand by my position, whether or not you like it.  Tough.  I'm not a rail fan, so I don't pay attention to what's "history", how long cars have been retired and all of that nonsense.  I could care less quite frankly.  Either way, good bye and good riddance.

I was speaking in general when I said that.  There are some folks that would rather see a car (no matter what the car is) in service because they like the car when the car should be retired.  That was my point.  We've seen this with other cars that are either nearing retirement, have been retired or will be retired.  It's one thing to be a rail fan and another to have deal with a particular car on a daily basis.  What most passengers care about is cars that are clean, safe with adequate HVAC.  I'm sure there are some that would like to see these cars in service despite all of the problems that they had.

Oh lordy mama... are you f**king serious?

I'm not about to get into another old vs. new debate with you. I know your thoughts on the issue and you know mine, and no amount of bullshit about how passengers magically know what's good for them is going to make me change my mind. Regardless of your feelings on old vehicles, however, discarding them because YOU don't like them is petty and stupid.

And NO ONE was advocating putting them into regular service, so how about keep to the topic and only discuss facts, eh?!

And yes, there are some people who would like to see these cars in service despite their problems. And you know what? The fact that we don't live in a communist nation means that they are entitled to believe that, and whatever else they would wish to believe. None of this bullshit about having to agree with someone, and if they don't, they have something wrong with them.

If I didn't know any better I would think you were a mod... In any event, I stand by my position, whether or not you like it.  Tough.  I'm not a rail fan, so I don't pay attention to what's "history", how long cars have been retired and all of that nonsense.  I could care less quite frankly.  Either way, good bye and good riddance.

If you could care less, why post at all? Keep it moving, I'm sure there are some Riverdale > the rest of New York and express bus topics that are begging for your input. Don't let the door hit you on the way out!

lol.... Not yet you mean... It's cute how angry you get over some old rusty cars though.

I would bet good money that no one will during the course of this thread.

As for the second part of your comment, there's a reason no one takes you seriously - when you come out with all these ad hominem attacks instead of rebutting my points with actual facts, no wonder. I'm not angry, I just think it's funny how you think that you speak for the sane passenger population - wee bit arrogant, no? And if you could care less, why are you responding to me at all?

I would bet good money that no one will during the course of this thread.

As for the second part of your comment, there's a reason no one takes you seriously - when you come out with all these ad hominem attacks instead of rebutting my points with actual facts, no wonder. I'm not angry, I just think it's funny how you think that you speak for the sane passenger population - wee bit arrogant, no? And if you could care less, why are you responding to me at all?

1. I would hope not but it wouldn't be too certain of that...

2. Oh I'm not worried if anyone takes me seriously about a piece of rusted metal... 

3.  Tell me what else passengers care about aside from clean trains, getting a seat and decent HVAC?  

In short, they're just trains... They had their time and now they're gone.  Jesus Christ. I know I know... Better not say that too loud. lol

I have to ask why is everyone wasting their time with VG8 here? It's not like his opinion matters to this thread anyway. This is about the R27/30s, not a lame ass comment that came from some arrogant, self-righteous sycophant

2. Oh I'm not worried if anyone takes me seriously about a piece of rusted metal... 

Great. Want a cookie?

3.  Tell me what else passengers care about aside from clean trains, getting a seat and decent HVAC?

Yawn, the same old argument that you present every time someone gets into an argument with you about this stuff.

1. There are those passengers that don't mind old vehicles - what words would you have for them?? (And don't tell me they don't exist, I have spoken to them.)

2. And you are aware that old vehicles can be clean and have decent AC too? Just because it doesn't happen in New York doesn't mean it doesn't happen elsewhere... you should know that.

3. Seats? What the HELL does that have to do with this discussion?

In short, they're just trains... They had their time and now they're gone.  Jesus Christ. I know I know... Better not say that too loud. lol

In case you didn't notice, we were discussing PRESERVATION. Just because the majority of this continent has this mind bogglingly retarted attitude that everything old sucks and that we should discard history and move into the future, doesn't make it a good idea.

In case you didn't notice, we were discussing PRESERVATION. Just because the majority of this continent has this mind bogglingly retarted attitude that everything old sucks and that we should discard history and move into the future, doesn't make it a good idea.

LMAO... Yeah they're not stuck in time... Imagine that. Listen I'm for preservation as well... I have plenty of things that I like that are old, but there's a difference between old and historic and just a hunk of garbage.  I just think it's hysterical how uptight some people get over old trains.

LMAO... Yeah they're not stuck in time... Imagine that. Listen I'm for preservation as well... I have plenty of things that I like that are old, but there's a difference between old and historic and just a hunk of garbage.  

And how would you define that difference? Sure the cars that were in the original post were in shitty condition, but I would be shocked if you had different thoughts if they were in better condition. Besides, these 'hunks of garbage' are needed in museums to tell the story of transit in New York - imagine if the Lo Vs or Arnines didn't get preserved?

And I don't know what the hell you mean by "Yeah they're not stuck in time... Imagine that." but the fact that this continent's people don't care about history has nothing to do with "knowing" what is good for (*insert group here*). They're just ignorant, plain and simple.

I just think it's hysterical how uptight some people get over old trains.

And here we go with the ad hominem again.

No, go on - I am very interested in hearing your thoughts. What defines the difference between "historic" and "garbage"?

For starters, how the item is question is cared for.  We both know how the (MTA) cares for most trains... Most of what is out there is ready for the dump once they're ready for retirement.  The way I see it the (MTA) thinks about buying new rather than preserving much of what they buy.  

For starters, how the item is question is cared for.  We both know how the (MTA) cares for most trains... Most of what is out there is ready for the dump once they're ready for retirement.  The way I see it the (MTA) thinks about buying new rather than preserving much of what they buy.  

You'd be wrong... the (MTA) actually preserves far more items then most agencies in North America do. Whereas the MTA has like 9 'Arnine' type cars alone, all the TTC in Toronto has is a streetcar from 1921, two from 1951 and two "Fishbowl" buses from 1982. I don't know of any other agencies with so much historical vehicles in their collection in North America.

And yes, while the (MTA) doesn't take the best care of their stuff, I would argue that that is hardly a good reason to discard it - look at all the stuff that was retired in the 70s and 80s, times of deficient maintenance, and subsequently preserved, like the Arnines and R16s.

Speaking of preservation, there are plans to preserve some cars from the remaining R110A and R110B sets. The rest of those sets will be scrapped, but some at least will be saved from what was told. Those cars are possibly the most important cars to be preserved, since they inspired the R142/188 fleet along with the R143/160/179 fleet.

You'd be wrong... the (MTA) actually preserves far more items then most agencies in North America do. Whereas the MTA has like 9 'Arnine' type cars alone, all the TTC in Toronto has is a streetcar from 1921, two from 1951 and two "Fishbowl" buses from 1982. I don't know of any other agencies with so much historical vehicles in their collection in North America.

And yes, while the (MTA) doesn't take the best care of their stuff, I would argue that that is hardly a good reason to discard it - look at all the stuff that was retired in the 70s and 80s, times of deficient maintenance, and subsequently preserved, like the Arnines and R16s.

Of course you would... What rail fan would... lol

LOL... To offer a different perspective for the average passenger out there...

Well, the average passenger probably is not so against the preservations of these cars like you are. In fact, they probably welcome vintage trains - why else would they take photos with their phones and stuff when they run them during Christmas time?

Speaking of preservation, there are plans to preserve some cars from the remaining R110A and R110B sets. The rest of those sets will be scrapped, but some at least will be saved from what was told. Those cars are possibly the most important cars to be preserved, since they inspired the R142/188 fleet along with the R143/160/179 fleet.

I doubt we'll see any preserved 110s (from either class) because they're too similar to the rest of the Millenium Fleet. There's not much that would entice people to pay for a fan-trip ride on them when they can ride the 142s and up for regular price. There's also the issue of money. It would probably take a lot of it to get these cars operational again since they haven't run under their own power in nearly 15 years. And that's on top of the problems they had when they did run.

I doubt we'll see any preserved 110s (from either class) because they're too similar to the rest of the Millenium Fleet. There's not much that would entice people to pay for a fan-trip ride on them when they can ride the 142s and up for regular price. There's also the issue of money. It would probably take a lot of it to get these cars operational again since they haven't run under their own power in nearly 15 years. And that's on top of the problems they had when they did run.

I don't think operating them is the idea, static display is probably what they're thinking. An A and B car of the R110A set is to be saved, along with an A car from the R110B set.

LOL... To offer a different perspective for the average passenger out there...

So if you don't like railfans and is on the forums to start trouble, WHY make it worse for everyone else? It's one thing to have an opinion but its another to go at it making excuses and then pick on the others because you don't like their opinions. Grow up.

Archived