Transferring between Lines

Via Garibaldi 8

Are there any free transfers allowed between lines? For example, if I took the Hudson Line and needed to transfer to go somewhere along the Harlem or New Haven lines, how does that work?  Furthermore, what if you have a monthly or weekly pass? Is that good for all MNRR lines as well?

The only inter-line transfers allowed are to/from Yankee Stadium. Monthlies/weeklies are completely interchangeable on the Hudson/Harlem, special rules apply to the NH.

The only inter-line transfers allowed are to/from Yankee Stadium. Monthlies/weeklies are completely interchangeable on the Hudson/Harlem, special rules apply to the NH.

So then that means you're stuck paying the full fare if you need a transfer and don't have a weekly or monthly? That's insane.

One way, round trip and 10 trip tickets are interchangeable between the Hudson and Harlem only between the corresponding zones. 

Weekly and monthly commutations are cross honored between all three lines as long as zone 1 is involved.

If you wanted to go from Riverdale to White Plains you would need to individual one way tickets if you didn't have a commutation pass. 

Based on the above scenario it would be more realistic to take the train from Riverdale to Tarrytown and then the bus to White Plains.

So then that means you're stuck paying the full fare if you need a transfer and don't have a weekly or monthly? That's insane.

Why would anyone go south to go north east or northwest when buses are much quicker? 

One way, round trip and 10 trip tickets are interchangeable between the Hudson and Harlem only between the corresponding zones. 

Weekly and monthly commutations are cross honored between all three lines as long as zone 1 is involved.

If you wanted to go from Riverdale to White Plains you would need to individual one way tickets if you didn't have a commutation pass. 

Based on the above scenario it would be more realistic to take the train from Riverdale to Tarrytown and then the bus to White Plains.

He can also use W6 from Dobbs ferry.

Why would anyone go south to go north east or northwest when buses are much quicker?

Well, for example, Do you know how many folks in Nassau that have to ride over to Jamaica on one line, to head back east on another LIRR line..... Hell, Pinepower's made a couple of posts on here of him having to do just that.... Worse, it was on the same line IINM..... Had to do with traveling to Riverhead from Westbury on a saturday morning IIRC.... He had a valid point w/ that too....

Regardless, I agree that folks can use buses.... However it's not relevant to what's being asked....

-------------

As far as VG8's question, Truckie nailed it as usual..... VG8, The key is only between corresponding zones....

You would have to know what zones the station(s) are in.. I've had to do that very thing on MNRR before....

-------------

Which is exactly what's done (on a more than noticable enough basis)..... 13 to White Plains from MNRR Tarrytown....

He can also use W6 from Dobbs ferry.

Longer ride on the bus than the above mentioned commute.....

That, and too much of a trek to get from the MNRR platform, to Broadway (where the 6 runs).... Believe me, I found that out the hard way.

There's no nearby BL-6 stop along Broadway anyway, which makes matters worse....

If you really wanted to game the system, you could buy a weekly ticket, travel, then get a refund for it.  So if you wanted to travel from Tarrytown to White Plains, for example, you could get a Zone 5--1 weekly at $92.50.  The ticket would be good for your trip into Grand Central and good again for your trip up to White Plains.  The you could then do the same thing in reverse, White Plains-GCT then GCT-Tarrytown all on the same ticket.

When you have finished the round trip in the one day, turn the ticket back in to a station agent by 9:00am the next morning and get a refund for the ticket as follows: when you turn in a commutation ticket for a refund, you forfeit the discount and the amount refunded is calculated based on how much you would have spent had you not purchased the weekly.  If you traveled on a weekend, they would charge you for one off-peak round-trip from zone 5--1, then add the $10 processing fee.

So if you got individual tickets you would have paid:

$9.75+$8.50+$8.50+$9.75 = $36.50

If you got the weekly ticket, you would have paid $92.50 initially, then gotten the following back:

$92.50-$9.75-$9.75-$10.00 = $63.00 back, for a total net expense of $29.50

So you would pay $29.50 in that particular instance instead of $36.50 (a savings of $7).  Not ideal, but it's better than nothing.

Yeah, another question for you... What's the deal with Beacon? I was going to take a trip up there and was confused as to what line it was on. Is that on the Hudson line or what?  All of the transferring that I thought I would have to do stopped me in my tracks.

If you really wanted to game the system, you could buy a weekly ticket, travel, then get a refund for it.  So if you wanted to travel from Tarrytown to White Plains, for example, you could get a Zone 5--1 weekly at $92.50.  The ticket would be good for your trip into Grand Central and good again for your trip up to White Plains.  The you could then do the same thing in reverse, White Plains-GCT then GCT-Tarrytown all on the same ticket.

When you have finished the round trip in the one day, turn the ticket back in to a station agent by 9:00am the next morning and get a refund for the ticket as follows: when you turn in a commutation ticket for a refund, you forfeit the discount and the amount refunded is calculated based on how much you would have spent had you not purchased the weekly.  If you traveled on a weekend, they would charge you for one off-peak round-trip from zone 5--1, then add the $10 processing fee.

So if you got individual tickets you would have paid:

$9.75+$8.50+$8.50+$9.75 = $36.50

If you got the weekly ticket, you would have paid $92.50 initially, then gotten the following back:

$92.50-$9.75-$9.75-$10.00 = $63.00 back, for a total net expense of $29.50

So you would pay $29.50 in that particular instance instead of $36.50 (a savings of $7).  Not ideal, but it's better than nothing.

What would you be getting a refund for exactly?  :huh: If in weekly ticket, you mean, weekly pass, I didn't know partially used passes were refundable...

What would you be getting a refund for exactly?  :huh: If in weekly ticket, you mean, weekly pass, I didn't know partially used passes were refundable...

They're refundable.  Go look at the tariff policies online.

Yeah, another question for you... What's the deal with Beacon? I was going to take a trip up there and was confused as to what line it was on. Is that on the Hudson line or what? All of the transferring that I thought I would have to do stopped me in my tracks.

What would you be getting a refund for exactly? :huh: If in weekly ticket, you mean, weekly pass, I didn't know partially used passes were refundable...

Beacon is on the Hudson Line.

Weekly passes are refundable as previously stated. The number of days into the week will correspond with the number of full fare rides deducted, minus $10 for processing.

I'm not familiar with the buses and would use Metro-North.

I bus white plains to Stamford. W13 Tarrytown to port Chester, w66 Dobbs ferry via scarsdale to new Rochelle and W7 Yonkers to new Rochelle via mt Vernon links with all 3. And is faster. Westbury to riverhead it's called N22 to hicksville for ronkonkoma line.

Well, for example, Do you know how many folks in Nassau that have to ride over to Jamaica on one line, to head back east on another LIRR line..... Hell, Pinepower's made a couple of posts on here of him having to do just that.... Worse, it was on the same line IINM..... Had to do with traveling to Riverhead from Westbury on a saturday morning IIRC.... He had a valid point w/ that too....

Regardless, I agree that folks can use buses.... However it's not relevant to what's being asked....

-------------

As far as VG8's question, Truckie nailed it as usual..... VG8, The key is only between corresponding zones....

You would have to know what zones the station(s) are in.. I've had to do that very thing on MNRR before....

-------------

Which is exactly what's done (on a more than noticable enough basis)..... 13 to White Plains from MNRR Tarrytown....

Longer ride on the bus than the above mentioned commute.....

That, and too much of a trek to get from the MNRR platform, to Broadway (where the 6 runs).... Believe me, I found that out the hard way.

There's no nearby BL-6 stop along Broadway anyway, which makes matters worse....

If one is going from say long beach or far rockaway line to somewhere on the main line it makes sense but to the Babylon makes zero. The worst one is Babylon backtrack which is as dumb as it gets. However SCT ain't helping. But is still much faster to Babylon and use the bus than backtrack to Jamaica which is timed even worse than the suffolk buses. @VG8 pm me I can help you with bee line buses ect and the like I have several maps on my phone.

Well I'll be damned... That's good to know...

Make no mistake, being the weekly passes are valid for travel from any given Saturday to the following Friday, you can't return it the next week and say you only used it one day.  The clock stops at the time it's redeemed, not the day (or days) before.

Make no mistake, being the weekly passes are valid for travel from any given Saturday to the following Friday, you can't return it the next week and say you only used it one day.  The clock stops at the time it's redeemed, not the day (or days) before.

Yeah, just like express bus weekly passes.  You can't redeem those, but if you lose it, you forfeit one day from the day in which you reported it lost and get a pro-rated amount back.  You're only charged a processing fee the second time around.

Yeah, just like express bus weekly passes.  You can't redeem those, but if you lose it, you forfeit one day from the day in which you reported it lost and get a pro-rated amount back.  You're only charged a processing fee the second time around.

Your express bus plus works on westchester buses and NICE at no extra charge. And if you're on a bee-line bus you can ask for a free paper transfer to use on the I-bus to get to NH trains via Stamford from white plains. Many times NH trains will meet the I-bus to boot.

Well I'll be damned... That's good to know...

Monthly tickets are also refundable in a similar way.  The clock runs from the date you purchase it until the day you submit it to be refunded (if turned in by 9:00am the next morning it will still count as the previous day).

Archived