LIRR Old Central Line to West Hempstead from Mineola

PinePower

This interests me quite a bit, there was once an LIRR line that went from Mineola to West Hempstead. The ROW through Garden City is easily visible, although I have not found any tracks, unusual looking power lines travel throughout the right of way all the way to the Mineola substation. These do not appear to be for LIPA commercial 3 phase power but for the RR, either for signals or third rail. They stretch all the way down to West Hempstead. 

You can see them on Streetview here http://goo.gl/maps/MZBPr in Garden City and further south (poles on the right) http://goo.gl/maps/KKxOu .

Also an image of them in Garden City between Franklin & County Seat.

Snapshot-1217_zps9b28b7e5.jpg

Now if LI (or the mta) were REALLY willing to spend, they could rebuild the ROW and initiate some new service.

The locals would techincally be opposed to rebuilding the ROW between West Hempstead and Garden City.

The locals would techincally be opposed to rebuilding the ROW between West Hempstead and Garden City.

In other topics on this forum about this subject I didn t really hear much people saying there would be local opposition. Normally when locals are opposed people on here all say that. You re the first so...

But opposition or not, that s not the only concern. The (MTA) has stated once before they don t see any value in reactivating the ROW because they dont think there s any need nowadays for through service on the branch, hence why they abandoned the ROW in the first place and why the branch ends abruptly at Country Life Press.

In other topics on this forum about this subject I didn t really hear much people saying there would be local opposition. Normally when locals are opposed people on here all say that. You re the first so...

But opposition or not, that s not the only concern. The (MTA) has stated once before they don t see any value in reactivating the ROW because they dont think there s any need nowadays for through service on the branch, hence why they abandoned the ROW in the first place and why the branch ends abruptly at Country Life Press.

If it were rebuilt, the ROW is at grade, and I don't think the Town of Hempstead would be too happy about more grade crossings (because no one is happy about grade crossings, ever)

Mmm Interesting...

I tend to forget this isn't japan...

Or Europe for that matter... (although some newer lines do away with most grade crossings though)

If it were rebuilt, the ROW is at grade, and I don't think the Town of Hempstead would be too happy about more grade crossings (because no one is happy about grade crossings, ever)

Depends. Just because there are grade crossings doesn't mean they are *all* needed. Perhaps they can do away with a few or remodel a few. But fact still remains that (MTA) doesn't see any need for through trains nowadays.

This 1951 map shows the LIRR around that area:1951nas.jpg

However, by this time, all Creedmore Branch and West Hempstead-Mineola passenger service had ceased. The Central Branch actually used to run from Flushing to Bethpage Junction, utilizing the Kissena Park corridor.

Or Europe for that matter... (although some newer lines do away with most grade crossings though)

Depends. Just because there are grade crossings doesn't mean they are *all* needed. Perhaps they can do away with a few or remodel a few. But fact still remains that (MTA) doesn't see any need for through trains nowadays.

There's also a tiny bit of the ROW that no longer exists. And even if the MTA were to rebuild the line as-is, keep in mind that a century ago trains were not required to horn at grade crossings all the time (regulations varied from state to state)

Archived