Prepare For Packed LIRR Tonight Thanks To Dozens Of Canceled Trains

Turbo19

071713LIRR.jpg

If you're heading to Penn Station tonight, here's some exciting news to jazz you up for the evening commute: the Long Island Rail Road plans to cancel about 19 eastbound trains tonight, after a cable fire broke out in an East River tunnel this afternoon.

The third rail cable fire broke out sometime around 1 p.m., according to LIRR spokesman Sal Arena, shutting down power in the tunnel; with only three tunnels functioning, the railroad will be operating on a limited capacity. Westbound trains have been suspended, with passengers heading into NYC directed to subways at Jamaica or Woodside; as for the rest of the trains, Arena tells us that the "plan is that we're going to cancel 19 of the trains normally heading east tonight."

The LIRR hasn't announced the total quantity of cancellations, but expect trains on the Babylon, Long Beach, Port Jefferson, Port Washington and Ronkonkoma lines to be affected; authorities say commuters heading east don't need to come up with alternate transportation, but should expect trains to be crowded. Thankfully, LIRR cars become mobile happy hours in the evening hours; bring an extra six-pack with you, and be sure to share with your (very close) neighbor to ease the pain.

Read More: Source

Curious, I never took the LIRR, but can you stand in the cars while in motion like the subways? Or do you have to sit?

Standees are allowed, though there isn't much reasonable accommodation as the cars aren't built and designed for short travel, leaving people to grasp seatbacks and luggage racks. If one wanted though they could stand the duration of the trip, but I personally wouldn't unless it's a short one.

Standees are allowed, though there isn't much reasonable accommodation as the cars aren't built and designed for short travel, leaving people to grasp seatbacks and luggage racks. If one wanted though they could stand the duration of the trip, but I personally wouldn't unless it's a short one.

Exactly. That s just a problem with commuter trains in general. Most commuter trains (esp. in Europe and the USA) are catered more towards people sitting than standees. I do understand why though. In Japan local trains are more catered to standees but crowding like on tonights LIRR trains is a lot more common on every run there lol.

(edit: like on tonights LIRR trains *if* 19 trains were to be canceled for real)

Exactly. That s just a problem with commuter trains in general. Most commuter trains (esp. in Europe and the USA) are catered more towards people sitting than standees. I do understand why though. In Japan local trains are more catered to standees but crowding like on tonights LIRR trains is a lot more common on every run there lol.

(edit: like on tonights LIRR trains *if* 19 trains were to be canceled for real)

Yeah, it was a close one, but I think most trains tonight will be on schedule, thanks to the diligence the MTA carried out in this situation.

But it's understandable, most would prefer a seat at the prices being charged.

Curious, I never took the LIRR, but can you stand in the cars while in motion like the subways? Or do you have to sit?

There is some space at the door vestibules (which, on the newer cars, are very comfortable for standing and have rests), but once you get in the aisles you have the same amount of space as a flight attendant.

While standing on a LIRR train is less than ideal, it's perfectly fine.  There's no real lateral or horizontal jerking like you might find on the subways.  There might be some swaying as you go through interlockings (particularly Penn, HAROLD, and Jamaica, and particularly on DM trains in those cases), but you're not getting bounced around like on the subway.

Standing in the vestibules isn't that bad and down the aisles isn't terrible (there are handles on the side of each seat).  When things get real bad, the luggage racks afford adventurous travelers 'additional seating.' 

While standing on a LIRR train is less than ideal, it's perfectly fine.  There's no real lateral or horizontal jerking like you might find on the subways.  There might be some swaying as you go through interlockings (particularly Penn, HAROLD, and Jamaica, and particularly on DM trains in those cases), but you're not getting bounced around like on the subway.

Standing in the vestibules isn't that bad and down the aisles isn't terrible (there are handles on the side of each seat).  When things get real bad, the luggage racks afford adventurous travelers 'additional seating.'

Well when you put it that way it sounds akin to practices in the third world.

Well, standing in an aisle also boils down to the way the train was built. Some trains are more prone to "throw you around" when going to things like an interlocking then others due to how they were built.

Well when you put it that way it sounds akin to practices in the third world.

LMAO.

People don't actually sit up there, do they? The LIRR clientele seems to be a richer, snobbier version of NYCT riders.

I stand often on the Metro-North trains and it's a PITA if you have bags or anything.  Climate situation is always a problem, so I usually put my stuff on a rack somewhere close by that I can see and stand near one of the doors unless the train is really slammed which can happen during inclement weather.  I personally hate it, and the cars on the Hudson line were designed like crap so that you can't maximize the amount of seats available (leg room is horrible unless you're a midget).  They seemed to have fixed that on the new trains on the New Haven Line though as I can sit comfortably at 6'4" in just about any seat and still have legroom left... I wish we had those instead of the current trains.  That situation, along with the constant delays on the Hudson Line has really kept me on the express bus because I just have a serious problem paying a premium fare and having to stand all of the time.  For $8.25 during peak periods + 2.50 for the Hudson Rail Link, you would think you could at least get a seat.  <_<

Archived