M60 +SelectBusService+

BM5 via Woodhaven

I have not spoken much (if at all) on here about the M60 SBS because out of all the routes that have SBS on it, to me, it was the least justified.... Fitting how they decide to choose the "airport route" for their 125th st SBS plan....

Aside from that, With all the shit the route has to contend with in Manhattan, the only stop the M60 (now that they decided to throw SBS on it) short of airport property (within Queens) buses should be making is:

- Astoria Blvd subway

- 82nd st (I shouldn't even include this one...)

- 94th st

That's it.... I mean, GTFOH with Steinway st, the stop over by the cemetery (77th or whatever), and the stop over by LGA Depot...

Yes, Steinway st sees good usage, but these are people that should not be benefitting from SBS - because generally speaking (especially WB), these are people seeking the Astoria line & not the part of Manhattan that the M60 serves... It's an (albeit small) reason the MTA can get away with running the level of service on the Q19 that they do now....

M60 should not be (still) compensating for the shortcomings of the Q19....

125th st SBS in a word.... Futile.

....and it does not help that M101's & Bx15's arrive like wildfire, on top of it....

I respectfully disagree with your assessment in Queens with the SBS60. Believe it or not, those 60s are PACKED to the line during AM rush hour -- with people utilizing the 60 from the 77th Street stop, and especially Steinway to go to 31st for the N/Q trains, but most folks do stay on for Manhattan connections, trust me; my artic is loaded going Harlem-bound. So 77th street and Steinway is definitely useful in some aspect.

The 82nd Street/Ditmars Blvd stop is highly utilized by car rental employees and passengers looking for those car rental locations between 82nd and 94th. I get questions everyday about where's such and such rental place at, or hotel, etc..

As I previously mentioned, my issue is with the stupid stop at 120th and Broadway-- you have people who see the 60 coming eastbound at 116th, get their ticket just to get off at 120th because the M4 & 104 didn't show; shit like that slow down the 60.

Also I put in a request not to long ago to have the eastbound stop at 125 & Amsterdam which is nearside in the middle of Amsterdam between 125 and La Salle to join the stop at 125 and Amsterdam for the 15/100/101s which is farside, but much safer to stop at. The current stop is within a turning lane, and so difficult to get out the stop with the amount of traffic turning onto 125, so you can easily blow 2 to 3 lights during rush hours because of the cars and the school crossing guard there. For me? I have to make the turn from the middle lane going wide.. that's how bad it is.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I respectfully disagree with your assessment in Queens with the SBS60. Believe it or not, those 60s are PACKED to the line during AM rush hour -- with people utilizing the 60 from the 77th Street stop, and especially Steinway to go to 31st for the N/Q trains, but most folks do stay on for Manhattan connections, trust me; my artic is loaded going Harlem-bound. So 77th street and Steinway is definitely useful in some aspect.

The 82nd Street/Ditmars Blvd stop is highly utilized by car rental employees and passengers looking for those car rental locations between 82nd and 94th. I get questions everyday about where's such and such rental place at, or hotel, etc..

As I previously mentioned, my issue is with the stupid stop at 120th and Broadway-- you have people who see the 60 coming eastbound at 116th, get their ticket just to get off at 120th because the M4 & 104 didn't show; shit like that slow down the 60.

Also I put in a request not to long ago to have the eastbound stop at 125 & Amsterdam which is nearside in the middle of Amsterdam between 125 and La Salle to join the stop at 125 and Amsterdam for the 15/100/101s which is farside, but much safer to stop at. The current stop is within a turning lane, and so difficult to get out the stop with the amount of traffic turning onto 125, so you can easily blow 2 to 3 lights during rush hours because of the cars and the school crossing guard there. For me? I have to make the turn from the middle lane going wide.. that's how bad it is.

My assessment is not that the stops don't get usage....

My issue with the SBS service specifically is that buses are still making stops in Queens that the non-SBS buses did, that need not be.... It's not about the usage..... Your (and other M60's... even during off peak hours) buses are additionally/more packed making said stops because M60's arrive like wildfire, compared to the Q19.... Otherwise, a good chunk of those folks would be on Q19's heading for the subway.... EB M60's are packed enough as it is leaving Manhattan, and especially after having served Astoria blvd. subway to be making any more intermediate stops towards the airport that Q19's should be solely making....

The two things in that regard we're gonna have to have a difference of opinion on, is:

- The making of M60 SBS stops at 77th (especially) & at Steinway...

- Just how many Queens riders at Steinway & 77th are really riding to Manhattan.... The doubt isn't that your artic is packed, but more, how packed is it, due to riders that boarded at those 2 stops that are seeking Manhattan - before you even pick up the waiting Manhattan bound riders at Astoria subway.....

In other words, are more of those riders (at Steinway & 77th) seeking Manhattan via the M60, or seeking Manhattan (or LIC) via the Astoria line.... Now compare that usage to everyone that boarded your (and other) M60's east of 82nd (i.e., airport vicinity), that are riding to Astoria subway & Manhattan via the M60.....

With that, I have to conclude that the M60 SBS serving 77th & Steinway is a waste of time....

Increase service on the Q19 & the M60 wouldn't have to spend anymore time in Queens than it currently does....

--------------------

As for that Columbia Univ. stop, I have no specific opinion on it.... I don't doubt what you're generally describing there, goes on along Broadway, because I've experienced people attempting to get on NB M104, for folks wanting Washington Hgts.....

As for anything along 125th st, you'll get no argument from me... There are too many physical buses from the differing aforementioned routes that have to utilze 125th, and there's nothing that can be done about it.... Even putting SBS on the M60.

Archived