Without Action From Cuomo, Subways Doomed to Endless State of Disrepair

Turbo19

OK; that sounds to me like management doesn't have their shit together more than anything else; we never had the problem of waste (pet or otherwise) turning up in hallways/elevators/etc. Either that, or whoever was handling the tenant application process was either incompetent or corrupt. I maintain that it is entirely possible to pull from the ranks of the monetarily poor and find a fairly high proportion of stable family units that respect their property and their neighbors; it really depends on how much due diligence you do.

If tenants are screened properly then you probably can get a good pool.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How about the people that should be doing these jobs like college students, etc.?  These jobs pay low because they're not meant to be jobs that you get to pay the bills.  All of this BS about how these people are stuck in a cycle of poverty.  These folks don't want to better themselves because if they did they would spend them time in a more productive manner instead of hanging out on the corner all damn day and blaming the man for their problems. It's always somebody else's fault... Cuomo's fault, the Republicans fault... I guess eventually you'll blame de Blasio too right?  

OK, I'm done here. You're a f**king moron.

OK, I'm done here. You're a f**king moron.

For speaking the truth that you can't bare to accept... Then so be it...  You'd rather resort to your usual name calling than to be mature and admit the truth.  You see what you want to see and ignore what you don't want to see.  Explain a valid reason for these people congregating all day outside instead of finding a job and working.  Somehow I imagine you consider these individuals to be "fine and outstanding".  <_<

For speaking the truth that you can't bare to accept... Then so be it...  You'd rather resort to your usual name calling than to be mature and admit the truth.  You see what you want to see and ignore what you don't want to see.  Explain a valid reason for these people congregating all day outside instead of finding a job and working.  Somehow I imagine you consider these individuals to be "fine and outstanding".  <_<

How do you know that they don't have an overnight job?

How do you know that they don't have an overnight job?

LMAO... Working people (regardless of when they work) don't waste their time hanging out in front of the corner store or in front of their apartment building or their stoop.  I worked overnight when I took off a semester so that I could take care of proposals and such for my study abroad during the daytime, and whatever free time I did have, I most certainly didn't waste it in front of a corner store.  Working people have more important things to do.  They're either too tired to hang out or too busy taking care of other things like being responsible and paying bills.  I think it's funny how Riverdale has tons of condos and co-ops and yet you don't see people "hanging out" because we're too busy working and being productive.  Meanwhile when I'm Uptown in Manhattan or in parts of the Bronx, I see hoards of people "hanging out", no matter how cold it is.  I say to myself, don't these people work??!? <_< The answer is pretty obvious. 

I only say this because I happen to tutor in a complex that is supposedly mixed income.  The income ranges are incredible from 30 - 100k.  You have people with Porsche's and other high end cars living in the same complex with flat out ghetto folks that do everything in their power to tear everything down.  The building is only two years old and it seems like a nicer housing project basically because the cleaning folks are constantly cleaning up some mess made by folks who insist on making a mess and trying to tear down the place.  It's really pathetic.  There are plenty of hardworking middle class types in there and some of them are moving out because of the situation.  As you said, it's poor planning.  It's also amazing that the rent ranges vary so much.

This is some extremely anecdotal evidence of skeptical legitimacy at best that you seem to think should define a citywide housing policy. Your terminology of "ghetto folks" is an unsubtle racially-charged term that doesn't do your argument any favors. Lastly, it is not "amazing" that rent ranges vary; it is in fact a very un-amazing aspect of a market-based real estate economy. If you support a lesser range in rent costs, I assume you are a proponent of rent-stabilized and rent-controlled housing, as those are the only means by which rent "range" is kept in check. 

This is some extremely anecdotal evidence of skeptical legitimacy at best that you seem to think should define a citywide housing policy. Your terminology of "ghetto folks" is an unsubtle racially-charged term that doesn't do your argument any favors. Lastly, it is not "amazing" that rent ranges vary; it is in fact a very un-amazing aspect of a market-based real estate economy. If you support a lesser range in rent costs, I assume you are a proponent of rent-stabilized and rent-controlled housing, as those are the only means by which rent "range" is kept in check. 

It is amazing that rent can vary so much in the same complex with the same amenities, but then again it's supposed to be based on one's income.  I personally don't support rent stabilization or rent controlled housing, as the free market should be able to dictate rent prices, thereby affording those who can afford to live here the opportunity to do so, while those who can't can move elsewhere.  As for my other comments, I don't think there's a better term for folks that like to tear down everything in sight.  Let's not pretend is if they don't exist because they do.

For speaking the truth that you can't bare to accept... Then so be it...  You'd rather resort to your usual name calling than to be mature and admit the truth.  You see what you want to see and ignore what you don't want to see.  Explain a valid reason for these people congregating all day outside instead of finding a job and working.  Somehow I imagine you consider these individuals to be "fine and outstanding"

The problem is the solution and always has been to problems of many years back.  When personal responsibility for the fix you are in was replaced with society causing it is the best way to put it.  It is far easier to blame someone else than to blame yourself. Decisions are made in today's politics with crisis management where programs are put into place which have a life which never end.  One person put it as killing a vampire is easier than killing a government program. No where in this crisis management is the thought of what this is going to cost or cause 10, 20 or 40 years down the line, if they did they wouldn't have chosen it.  Politicians only look for the next election.  Having age I have seen debacles over the years and remember the individuals involved and the statements.  So when they expanded what Social Security would do a Representative who oversaw the House Committee said they didn't have to raise the rates as we had plenty of money. and in return lead to saving Social Security in 1980's.  So mixed housing is social engineering at its worst as the standards of the solid middle class are really going to rub off by their presence.  What makes the middle class, attitude not income.  Income comes from attitude.  You can be a poor as a churchmouse but believe in hard work and education and you will succeed.

The problem is the solution and always has been to problems of many years back.  When personal responsibility for the fix you are in was replaced with society causing it is the best way to put it.  It is far easier to blame someone else than to blame yourself. Decisions are made in today's politics with crisis management where programs are put into place which have a life which never end.  One person put it as killing a vampire is easier than killing a government program. No where in this crisis management is the thought of what this is going to cost or cause 10, 20 or 40 years down the line, if they did they wouldn't have chosen it.  Politicians only look for the next election.  Having age I have seen debacles over the years and remember the individuals involved and the statements.  So when they expanded what Social Security would do a Representative who oversaw the House Committee said they didn't have to raise the rates as we had plenty of money. and in return lead to saving Social Security in 1980's.  So mixed housing is social engineering at its worst as the standards of the solid middle class are really going to rub off by their presence.  What makes the middle class, attitude not income.  Income comes from attitude.  You can be a poor as a churchmouse but believe in hard work and education and you will succeed.

LMAO... I'm not so sure about that.  I don't support mixed housing.  I think it's downright dangerous. Look at how the gubment is trying to destroy upper middle class suburbs in Westchester.  Thank God the residents there are fighting to to try to stop it. Bringing this back to the discussion about Cuomo and the whole tax situation, it's important that he funds programs that are going to bring in tax revenues to the state, not take away from them, and I don't think mixed housing will help.  It's a form of a handout for those who can't afford the housing prices here in NYC and ultimately it does more harm than good.

LMAO... I'm not so sure about that.  I don't support mixed housing.  I think it's downright dangerous. Look at how the gubment is trying to destroy upper middle class suburbs in Westchester.  Thank God the residents there are fighting to to try to stop it. Bringing this back to the discussion about Cuomo and the whole tax situation, it's important that he funds programs that are going to bring in tax revenues to the state, not take away from them, and I don't think mixed housing will help.  It's a form of a handout for those who can't afford the housing prices here in NYC and ultimately it does more harm than good.

What they are doing is a social experiment which has failed in the past but another way which is the insanity. as the results will be the same. They will blame everything on somebody instead of themselves and run the place down.  Been there, done that.

What they are doing is a social experiment which has failed in the past but another way which is the insanity. as the results will be the same. They will blame everything on somebody instead of themselves and run the place down.  Been there, done that.

The politicians up there in Westchester are smart... They agreed to build the housing, but all in the crappy part of Yonkers.  :lol:

The politicians up there in Westchester are smart... They agreed to build the housing, but all in the crappy part of Yonkers.

Many years ago New Jersey had the Mount Laurel decision  but dealing with developers similar to the government's.  So housing was developed in such a way in Denville and other communities where for every 9 houses built in Denville , one house was built in Newark.  So townhouses which went for 240K in Denville were sold for 80K in Newark.  The difference was the homeowner in Newark had to fortify the structure to keep the thieves out and the reason decorative iron bars are across windows and doors.  Its a game.

Archived