Without Action From Cuomo, Subways Doomed to Endless State of Disrepair

Turbo19

lol... There is nothing wrong with tax cuts for the rich... They do plenty for this city and certainly don't cause a financial burden (via hand outs like other groups do), so I say why not?  What they contribute far outweighs what they take.  As for cuts to the express bus, there isn't much more to cut, as most routes are well used.

1) Because if you really are a "job creator" then you reap the most benefits from your underlings receiving those same tax-derived government-based services. It's why Cuomo's 10-year tax-free zone is great for having corporations creating shell companies in NY for tax reasons (without actually creating jobs...), but ultimately f**ks the state out of millions of revenues that we could use for things like infrastructure and education. Tax cuts for the rich do literally nothing positive other than sending more money to sit in off-shore bank accounts. Amazing how *some* rich people are so f**ked in the head that they assume that crumbling infrastructure doesn't apply to them. Last I checked, limos and private jets still use public infrastructure.

2) Oh, they'll find some shit to cut, and nobody is gonna give a shit if they cut express buses first; at least compared to them cutting local buses and subways. You can bet your ass the BxM4 is getting cut the microsecond Cuomo's attempts to starve the (MTA) and the state government till he can drown them in a bathtub finally start bearing fruit.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1) Because if you really are a "job creator" then you reap the most benefits from your underlings receiving those same tax-derived government-based services. It's why Cuomo's 10-year tax-free zone is great for having corporations creating shell companies in NY for tax reasons (without actually creating jobs...), but ultimately f**ks the state out of millions of revenues that we could use for things like infrastructure and education. Tax cuts for the rich do literally nothing positive other than sending more money to sit in off-shore bank accounts. Amazing how *some* rich people are so f**ked in the head that they assume that crumbling infrastructure doesn't apply to them. Last I checked, limos and private jets still use public infrastructure.

2) Oh, they'll find some shit to cut, and nobody is gonna give a shit if they cut express buses first; at least compared to them cutting local buses and subways. You can bet your ass the BxM4 is getting cut the microsecond Cuomo's attempts to starve the (MTA) and the state government till he can drown them in a bathtub finally start bearing fruit.

lol... So who else is supposed to be creating jobs? The people receiving handouts? I'm sure you'd love to see the rich taxed to death.  Your buddy de Blasio tried that trick... Isn't working out so well I see...  :lol:

lol... There is nothing wrong with tax cuts for the rich... They do plenty for this city and certainly don't cause a financial burden (via hand outs like other groups do), so I say why not?  What they contribute far outweighs what they take.  As for cuts to the express bus, there isn't much more to cut, as most routes are well used.

My main problem with the tax cuts is that they're very opportunistic; like the Verrazano toll cuts, they seem to be entirely based on "good times are just around the corner," and not due to any actual efficiency in state government. It also relies on accounting shenanigans, such as taking money from the MTA to pay off state bonds; the MTA is not the issuer of those bonds, so the amount in debt service and the debt on its books stays exactly the same.

The state government is wildly inefficient outside of the five boroughs (where home rule has ensured that government services are rationally organized; one department for a utility covers all five boroughs), and if the tax cuts came from some rationalization of government services, then I wouldn't really have a problem.

lol... So who else is supposed to be creating jobs? The people receiving handouts? I'm sure you'd love to see the rich taxed to death.  Your buddy de Blasio tried that trick... Isn't working out so well I see...  :lol:

Did you get past the 5th grade? Seriously, what kind of dumbass shit is this? A rich person does not magically create jobs. You need a combination of market demand, investors (that's either corporations, rich people, or middle class investors as in stock sales), and eventually even a workforce within said business to create further jobs (once production rises to point where more sales staff is needed). One last thing (again): high taxes don't lead to less jobs/productivity/wealth/whatever else. This has been proven time and time and time and time again. I hope they f**king slash express bus service when the Cuomo is done robbing the (MTA), then you can tell us how awesome tax cuts are.

You have that option....

I honestly think they knew they were getting a surplus... Just not to the exact dollar figure.

side note: It's amazing how this agency can come up with money for the changes they want (not necessarily need) to have done/implemented.....

1) Pretty much.... A simple search on those job sites (careerbuilder, monster, etc) is indicative of this..... Just got through talkin to my sister about that.... Luckily for her, she's venturing into finance.....

2) I try not to disclose too much personal info on here, but now that the opportunity presents itself (sort of), Me & the misses are seriously talking about moving out of NYC (NYS really).... We both want to move to NJ (although she wants to move to Hoboken, for what I think to be a stupid reason, but w/e... and I've always had a bit of a soft spot for central Jersey; namely w/i Woodbridge Twp).... Well, being a little more accurate, she's done bought into the Washington DC hype (much like her soror's), and I told her flat out, the ethnic utopia a lot of people is painting DC to be, is BS.... Blacks & Hispanics aren't all down there ballin out of control with 6 figure incomes, FOH..... I am NOT moving down there - besides, the Wizards & the Capitals suck worse than the Knicks & Islanders do :D ....

Forest Glen (remember him) bought into that hype too (talkin about goin into Law & moving out of NYC down to DC with some of his law friends, or something to that effect), and I was laughing then when he would bust allll kindzsa nuts (lol... hodge twins reference, if you didn't get that) about the WMATA....

Anyway, I don't like where this city (Brooklyn in-particular) is headed - said a couple times on here that Brooklyn, from downtown & points south, spreading, is becoming like this funky extension of lower manhattan.... Kinda saw this coming with the MetroTech BS, just not to this extent..... The misses however, lives in janky high bridge (sorry Cotb16.... dude probably don't come on these forums no more anyway) and is vehemently opposed to the whole SoBro thing (kinda similar to how I feel about the BoCoCa [boerum hill, cobble hill, carroll gardens] & NoLiTa [north of something that barely exists anymore; Little Italy] shit)....

eh, not to bore anyone here with all this, but yeah, the only thing I really have to say as far as Manhattan goes, in regards to what you said, is that, I never saw it as a hip place (to the extent that the vast majority of folks that do, do)... Matter fact, I've grown to hate the term "hip", as it's indicative of an inherited lifestyle that did not exist here when I was a wee young lad (Lol).... We have let damn transients & migrants take over & define just what the hell it means to be a "New Yorker".... The gall some college dropout from bumf**k, nebraska got the cojones to lay out to me what being a New Yorker is all about.....

Oh, not to mention, is this what it takes to be a New Yorker nowadays?

MF-ers goin out gettin facial hair transplants... Shit's disgusting - and I don't mean the facial hair (although it certainly qualifies) - I mean the fact that having facial hair represents what it means to be a male in NY[C] these days.....

Technically the ballin black people are mostly in Montgomery county MD a suburb of DC and the average income there rivals Nassau county. I heard it was one of the wealthiest counties in America. Kinda explains their tolerance for WMATA fares that make the LIRR look affordable.

Man, corporations get free money in the form of subsidies all the time... And where does that money come from? The taxpayers!

Taxes aren't a problem unless you own a house/property within city limits- property taxes will rape you and eventually force you to move out! I wonder though, before our last Mayor, finding a place to live wasn't so hard. Amazing how one guy with lots of money and political power makes his vision a near-reality. Too bad it all didn't come true. We peasants would have been up a creek without a paddle by now!

Taxes are a problem for all not just the property holder..  We all have to eat.  Who pays the grocery store's taxes, you do in the price of milk, bread, eggs and everything else. Pick up your phone and utility bill and read the list there and this is before the phone made a call or a light turned on.  Who pays the taxes on the building you rent your apartment in, you do.  The average person doesn't realize he or she is livimg on 1/4-1/3 of their gross after all the direct and hidden taxes are removed.  Since it near tax time I point this out to you.

The government gives subsidies as they are pushing an agenda just like the new fearless leader outlawing the horse carriages  as his friends want the land the stables are on to make money by development which in turn gives the mayor more tax money to spend.   What you have to figure is what antics are they up to on anything.What you have to do always is work out how power and money are involved. Government is rarely benevolent, the best you can hope for is ambivalent and many times its malevolent. `So when the mayor feels for the horses and they are abused and need to go.  The horses treatment and working conditions have been for years overseen by the SPCA. They don't work when its too hot or too cold.  In simple terms they live a better life than the average New Yorker. So the cover story is a crock so you look in as to what's really happening.  

My main problem with the tax cuts is that they're very opportunistic; like the Verrazano toll cuts, they seem to be entirely based on "good times are just around the corner," and not due to any actual efficiency in state government. It also relies on accounting shenanigans, such as taking money from the MTA to pay off state bonds; the MTA is not the issuer of those bonds, so the amount in debt service and the debt on its books stays exactly the same.

The state government is wildly inefficient outside of the five boroughs (where home rule has ensured that government services are rationally organized; one department for a utility covers all five boroughs), and if the tax cuts came from some rationalization of government services, then I wouldn't really have a problem.

No government is efficient but efficiency increases the lower the level.and lower the final cost.  Spin is what causes the books to be cooked as they are pushing an agenda   and mass transit isn't it.  That new 34th Street station on the 7 line is case in point.  How much did they spend for that as it was presented as a selling point for their new development of the railyards. The money dropped could of cleaned and repaired every station on the 7th avenue line from 42 to white plains road..

No government is efficient but efficiency increases the lower the level.and lower the final cost.

Local government outside of the city actually has severe structural problems, particularly when it comes to the special service districts for things like fire protection, libraries, and schools. Outside of the five boroughs, people are taxed by all these special districts, none of which have boundaries contiguous with any actual towns, cities, or counties. For example, outside the city you can be taxed twice for schools; once for where you actually live, and another for where you send your kids to school. If government structures like these were rationalized and consolidated, then the government would be able to streamline spending, and only then would tax cuts really make sense. As it stands, the tax cuts that exist right now are only enabled due to the economic recovery, and is entirely cyclical.

Here's a solution Vote!!!!!! Get rid of the ones who don't have your best interests Problem solved..... Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You don't stop water pollution a rain drop at a time if the whole river is already polluted.

Did you get past the 5th grade? Seriously, what kind of dumbass shit is this? A rich person does not magically create jobs. You need a combination of market demand, investors (that's either corporations, rich people, or middle class investors as in stock sales), and eventually even a workforce within said business to create further jobs (once production rises to point where more sales staff is needed). One last thing (again): high taxes don't lead to less jobs/productivity/wealth/whatever else. This has been proven time and time and time and time again. I hope they f**king slash express bus service when the Cuomo is done robbing the (MTA), then you can tell us how awesome tax cuts are.

You're right... They don't magically create jobs, but at the same time, they provide more than they take.  You have plenty of philanthropists that give millions of dollars to various good causes, and that should be recognized.  Long story short, taxing the rich solves nothing.  Instead, it create class warfare and jealousy from some groups who are simply too lazy to get out there and work hard to earn a buck.  While some rich people earned their money from "old money", there have been plenty of success stories of people becoming rich in this country from nothing.  They're creative and innovative, and we should not punish these types of individuals due to nothing more but jealousy of their money that they've earned.  Then there's the question of who is "rich" in this country.  Many small business owners are being classified as "rich" when they are hard working upper middle class folks. These people are the job creators and should not taxed to death the way de Blasio and the like advocates.  Small businesses create the majority of the jobs in this country and that has been shown time and time again.

Also, I think you need to re-read whatever rhetoric you've been reading because high taxes most certainly do lead to fewer jobs because companies have to pay out more than they take in and that means they have to do more with less.  In most cases, the first thing they do is slash staff or look to hire less.  

In reality they are... When fiscal times are good, government generally looks to cut taxes.  When economic times are bad, there generally are fewer tax cuts.  In this case, Cuomo is up for re-election, so he's trying to do everything possible to win over his constituents.  While NYC is heavily Democratic, parts of Westchester swing Republican and then you have Independents such as myself that lean Republican in terms of fiscality to whom Cuomo appeals to.  He's trying to govern from the middle and so far I have to say he's done a good job.  He's managed to give the (MTA) some kick backs, provide tax cuts to keep business sector happy and still keep the unions somewhat at bay, but he's got some tough decisions ahead.  He's going to have to give more to the (MTA) to deal with some of the current fiscal problems that the agency faces.

The fact of the matter is Cuomo understands
No he doesn't.

As far as the MTA is concerned, this crap is all propaganda, talking about subways doomed to endless state of disrepair - As if the subway system is gonna collapse on itself..... It all ties in to that doom & gloom mentality that existed from these sensationalists when Walder was in tenure (and after he left as well), regarding the subways reverting to the way they were back in the 70's & much of the 80's.... Where was that talk/mentality during the 90's & most of the '00's (2000's)? No where to be found, that's where.... FWIW, when it comes to money matters, I do not trust the MTA... One day they're crying broke, needing funding... and the next, they have this surplus.....
Actually, the shortfall in capital funding has been a real problem since the 90's. When the MTA is forced to borrow in order to bring the system closer to a state of good repair, the same MTA is going to later have to repay those loans plus interest.And when the state takes a highly unstable source of MTA operating revenue and uses it as a piggy bank, there is simply no way that the riders can come out unscathed.If revenue sources are unstable, revenue projections won't be particularly accurate - hence the defecits some years and surpluses others.

You're right... They don't magically create jobs, but at the same time, they provide more than they take.  You have plenty of philanthropists that give millions of dollars to various good causes, and that should be recognized.  Long story short, taxing the rich solves nothing.  Instead, it create class warfare and jealousy from some groups who are simply too lazy to get out there and work hard to earn a buck.  While some rich people earned their money from "old money", there have been plenty of success stories of people becoming rich in this country from nothing.  They're creative and innovative, and we should not punish these types of individuals due to nothing more but jealousy of their money that they've earned.  Then there's the question of who is "rich" in this country.  Many small business owners are being classified as "rich" when they are hard working upper middle class folks. These people are the job creators and should not taxed to death the way de Blasio and the like advocates.  Small businesses create the majority of the jobs in this country and that has been shown time and time again.

Also, I think you need to re-read whatever rhetoric you've been reading because high taxes most certainly do lead to fewer jobs because companies have to pay out more than they take in and that means they have to do more with less.  In most cases, the first thing they do is slash staff or look to hire less.  

In reality they are... When fiscal times are good, government generally looks to cut taxes.  When economic times are bad, there generally are fewer tax cuts.  In this case, Cuomo is up for re-election, so he's trying to do everything possible to win over his constituents.  While NYC is heavily Democratic, parts of Westchester swing Republican and then you have Independents such as myself that lean Republican in terms of fiscality to whom Cuomo appeals to.  He's trying to govern from the middle and so far I have to say he's done a good job.  He's managed to give the (MTA) some kick backs, provide tax cuts to keep business sector happy and still keep the unions somewhat at bay, but he's got some tough decisions ahead.  He's going to have to give more to the (MTA) to deal with some of the current fiscal problems that the agency faces.

So, your economic theory (and Andy Cuomo's) is the same as that of George Bush: tax cuts are always good (except for when they almost bankrupted the federal government) and rich people create jobs when they fart. /magic

Of course... The only one who understands anything is the high and mighty AndrewJC...  <_<

No, many people understand. Then there's asswipes like Cuomo who DON'T CARE. Cuomo doesn't give a shit about the long term consequences of his Norquist obsession with getting rid of all taxes and tolls. And then there's people like you who get massive erections at the thought of having your taxes cut without realizing it'll eventually lead to cuts in your precious express bus service.

So, your economic theory (and Andy Cuomo's) is the same as that of George Bush: tax cuts are always good (except for when they almost bankrupted the federal government) and rich people create jobs when they fart. /magic

No, many people understand. Then there's asswipes like Cuomo who DON'T CARE. Cuomo doesn't give a shit about the long term consequences of his Norquist obsession with getting rid of all taxes and tolls. And then there's people like you who get massive erections at the thought of having your taxes cut without realizing it'll eventually lead to cuts in your precious express bus service.

The problem is nobody here fully understands the effect of State taxation and regulations on companies  or individuals or how taxation and regulation effects these decisions   People and Business look at other places than this place.  You can't tax what has not been created and you can't tax what is not here. Regulations cost business money to comply with.  Regulations cost the taxpayer money as the State has to enforce them. and the taxpayer pays both sides as business passes the costs to the final user which is you.  

Do you think the inflow of business to Texas came overnight.  The crazier California got the more that moved. The crazier New York got the more that moved. I remember driving the Thruway from Syracuse to Buffalo about 7 years ago in the summer. and the road was pothole city from one end of it to another.and this is a toll road.  and the State's pride. You were cutting maintenance then to save money which went into the State's coffers which meant the State had widespread systematic problems.

If the State goes bellyup what happens to your transit.  If you figure the Feds will bail you out then you are smoking California Medicinal. If you think you are going to stick it to the corporation or the rich man they move.  It means you will pay the freight and no one else.  This is the problem of most New Yorkers you want things but somebody else pays for them but don't ever realize they end up paying for it themselves one way or another.

He's managed to give the (MTA) some kick backs, provide tax cuts to keep business sector happy and still keep the unions somewhat at bay, but he's got some tough decisions ahead.  He's going to have to give more to the (MTA) to deal with some of the current fiscal problems that the agency faces.

Cuomo's few decisions on transportation policy have led me to believe that he may not actually do it. He vetoed a transit lockbox bill twice, because he thought the governor's office was already being held accountable by the public for its accounting shenanigans. He then used MTA surplus to cut tolls and pay off state debt, but has the gall to announce every MTA improvement as a product of his administration in press releases. He also partially rolled back the payroll tax, which is the single biggest contributor to the MTA's budget these days.

Add to that the whole fiasco regarding the Tappan Zee (throwing out the public records on the old version of the project, scuttling transit without consulting the communities involved, dipping heavily into the general fund to pay for an oversized bridge), and you've got someone who just wants to look good for the press. He claims that dedicated BRT lanes are too expensive, but the bridge is literally twice as wide as the current bridge, just to add an extra lane. It's also built on crappy soil conditions over the widest part of the Hudson, but for some reason this is the flagship infrastructure project of his administration.

No good can come out of the governor's house if one of the governor's eyes happens to be on 2016.

The problem is nobody here fully understands the effect of State taxation and regulations on companies  or individuals or how taxation and regulation effects these decisions   People and Business look at other places than this place.  You can't tax what has not been created and you can't tax what is not here. Regulations cost business money to comply with.  Regulations cost the taxpayer money as the State has to enforce them. and the taxpayer pays both sides as business passes the costs to the final user which is you.  

Do you think the inflow of business to Texas came overnight.  The crazier California got the more that moved. The crazier New York got the more that moved. I remember driving the Thruway from Syracuse to Buffalo about 7 years ago in the summer. and the road was pothole city from one end of it to another.and this is a toll road.  and the State's pride. You were cutting maintenance then to save money which went into the State's coffers which meant the State had widespread systematic problems.

If the State goes bellyup what happens to your transit.  If you figure the Feds will bail you out then you are smoking California Medicinal. If you think you are going to stick it to the corporation or the rich man they move.  It means you will pay the freight and no one else.  This is the problem of most New Yorkers you want things but somebody else pays for them but don't ever realize they end up paying for it themselves one way or another.

The "inflow" of minimum wage labor to Texas (and third-world living conditions for a big chunk of the state) comes about the same way it does in China. The Texas Miracle consists of two things: taking federal money and applying to the state budget (funny how the federal government isn't evil when it lets them pretend to not be going broke) and letting corporations take advantage of said lack of local taxes. Basically, the federal taxes we all pay (NY pays more than it gets) are directly subsidizing Texas' "Jobs Boom." Some f**king miracle. But hey, it's great for rich folks and corporations in Texas, so it must be good. Tax cuts don't magically pay for themselves. When nobody pays for the infrastructure, it f**king crumbles. It's a dumb economic theory that has been proven to be dumb and flawed 50 times over and still dickpipes like Cuomo subscribe to it.

Cuomo's few decisions on transportation policy have led me to believe that he may not actually do it. He vetoed a transit lockbox bill twice, because he thought the governor's office was already being held accountable by the public for its accounting shenanigans. He then used MTA surplus to cut tolls and pay off state debt, but has the gall to announce every MTA improvement as a product of his administration in press releases. He also partially rolled back the payroll tax, which is the single biggest contributor to the MTA's budget these days.

Add to that the whole fiasco regarding the Tappan Zee (throwing out the public records on the old version of the project, scuttling transit without consulting the communities involved, dipping heavily into the general fund to pay for an oversized bridge), and you've got someone who just wants to look good for the press. He claims that dedicated BRT lanes are too expensive, but the bridge is literally twice as wide as the current bridge, just to add an extra lane. It's also built on crappy soil conditions over the widest part of the Hudson, but for some reason this is the flagship infrastructure project of his administration.

No good can come out of the governor's house if one of the governor's eyes happens to be on 2016.

THIS.

Cuomo spits on this state. He will run the whole f**king thing into the ground trying to look good and then we'll all be left with a steaming pile of shit while he smiles for the cameras at the primaries [and loses in a landslide to Hillary] and then bails.

Win lose or draw to build another bridge anywhere will cost a fortune as you are moving roadway, buying property and the list goes on.  You also have a pile of new roadway built including cloverleafs etc and I was there a number of years ago in the middle of the construction project for this bridge.  The bridge would be wider as the it has an Interstate designation tied to it  and the lane standards have changed from 1956 to the present.  and if you add lanes for the future you can easily double the width. Now bus lanes may be prohibited because of the Interstate designation as in all the driving I have done except for route 3 in New Jersey have I ever seen a bus only lane. Governments want that Interstate sign as the Feds give money to maintain, pay for police , snow removal and a bunch of other things plus pick up a chunk of the building tab.

xbited because of the Interstate designation as in all the driving I have done except for route 3 in New Jersey have I ever seen a bus only lane.

The "inflow" of minimum wage labor to Texas (and third-world living conditions for a big chunk of the state) comes about the same way it does in China. The Texas Miracle consists of two things: taking federal money and applying to the state budget (funny how the federal government isn't evil when it lets them pretend to not be going broke) and letting corporations take advantage of said lack of local taxes. Basically, the federal taxes we all pay (NY pays more than it gets) are directly subsidizing Texas' "Jobs Boom." Some f**king miracle. But hey, it's great for rich folks and corporations in Texas, so it must be good. Tax cuts don't magically pay for themselves. When nobody pays for the infrastructure, it f**king crumbles. It's a dumb economic theory that has been proven to be dumb and flawed 50 times over and still dickpipes like Cuomo subscribe to it.

Have you ever been to Texas probably not and you damn well sure don't know how it operates.  The State taxes its energy industry heavily and the reason why the rest of the taxes are low. They don't need an income tax and the sales tax is lower.  Local communities and counties determine the real tax.  Utilities are cheaper, so is fuel and insurance. Land is cheap and so are houses as they don't build basements as the water table is that high along the coast.  Most of the place lives quite well  even though wages are lower because the cost of living is much lower compared to New York.

Win lose or draw to build another bridge anywhere will cost a fortune as you are moving roadway, buying property and the list goes on.  You also have a pile of new roadway built including cloverleafs etc and I was there a number of years ago in the middle of the construction project for this bridge.  The bridge would be wider as the it has an Interstate designation tied to it  and the lane standards have changed from 1956 to the present.  and if you add lanes for the future you can easily double the width. Now bus lanes may be prohibited because of the Interstate designation as in all the driving I have done except for route 3 in New Jersey have I ever seen a bus only lane. Governments want that Interstate sign as the Feds give money to maintain, pay for police , snow removal and a bunch of other things plus pick up a chunk of the building tab.

xbited because of the Interstate designation as in all the driving I have done except for route 3 in New Jersey have I ever seen a bus only lane.

Bus lanes are not prohibited by Interstate standards; Los Angeles and Dallas are full of them.

The only reason the bridge is considered unsafe is because the addition of that zipper lane got rid of the shoulders and increased the accident rate. The bridge can accommodate six interstate-standard lanes fine, so building two spans the exact same width as the old one makes absolutely no sense, especially considering that the Thruway is not going to get any wider than eight lanes in the future due to community opposition; in fact, most segments of the Thruway are narrower than that.

The Tappan Zee is basically a much bigger version of the screwup that is the Koscuiszko Bridge replacement. It's being built with eight lanes and shoulders, and the city can't say crap about narrowing it. The BQE on both sides is only six lanes and no shoulders, and Brooklyn is not going to let a highway widening happen on its watch. The State DOT has a habit of making projects unnecessarily expensive and ignoring the stakeholders in the project.

You don't stop water pollution a rain drop at a time if the whole river is already polluted.

Then there's no use complaining if you ask me just gotta be content with the cards you are dealt...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tax cuts are only good for those who produce in this country.  You don't give tax cuts to those already receiving handouts on the taxpayers' dime.

As for my position on tax cuts, upper middle class working professionals like myself are taxed heavily and unfairly in NYC and in NY State for that matter, and I think that needs to be balanced out so that everyone pays their fair share.  If a family of 4 brings in 30K a year, then they can't afford to live here, and giving them tax breaks isn't going to make that much of a difference in the overall scheme of things.  They'll just continue to look for more handouts and take away from the tax base that is desperately needed here.  I support a tax system that makes folks go out and work and doesn't rely on the "gubment" to deal with their problems.  We need more high income earners in this city to support the monies needed to better our schools, bolster our police force, infrastructure and so on, not less, therefore trying to overtax the upper middle class and the rich is simply not the way to go.

Tax cuts are only good for those who produce in this country.  You don't give tax cuts to those already receiving handouts on the taxpayers' dime.

As for my position on tax cuts, upper middle class working professionals like myself are taxed heavily and unfairly in NYC and in NY State for that matter, and I think that needs to be balanced out so that everyone pays their fair share.  If a family of 4 brings in 30K a year, then they can't afford to live here, and giving them tax breaks isn't going to make that much of a difference in the overall scheme of things.  They'll just continue to look for more handouts and take away from the tax base that is desperately needed here.  I support a tax system that makes folks go out and work and doesn't rely on the "gubment" to deal with their problems.  We need more high income earners in this city to support the monies needed to better our schools, bolster our police force, infrastructure and so on, not less, therefore trying to overtax the upper middle class and the rich is simply not the way to go.

Why do keep on thinking that the lower class does not work as hard your class? They work as hard as you do. They earn much less than you do, and relative to you they have a much harder time paying for things. If they were taxed at a much higher proportion, than they wouldn't be able to afford their apartments. The upper middle class at least can afford nice apartments and homes, and provide for themselves even while being heavily taxed. The price of products doesn't change, but how much is dedicated to buying them does, and that is the advantage that the higher-income classes have.

Why do keep on thinking that the lower class does not work as hard your class? They work as hard as you do. They earn much less than you do, and relative to you they have a much harder time paying for things. If they were taxed at a much higher proportion, than they wouldn't be able to afford their apartments. The upper middle class at least can afford nice apartments and homes, and provide for themselves even while being heavily taxed. The price of products doesn't change, but how much is dedicated to buying them does, and that is the advantage that the higher-income classes have.

Because some of them don't work very hard.  I don't think the government should continue to enable behavior that does nothing but perpetuate an endless cycle of folks looking for handouts.  It makes the government lean harder and harder on the other classes, and creates class warfare and animosity against those who don't deserve to be treated as the "scapegoats".

Archived