Suburbs Try to Prevent an Exodus as Young Adults Move to Cities and Stay

Via Garibaldi 8

Young adults want urban life, with shops, cultural amenities and things to do at walking or close distance.

The problem with suburbs is that if you want to do anything, you need to travel over a long distance and places of interest are too often seperated of each other in suburbs.

You have to choose what you want to do because the mall is not necessarily close to the nightlife or the good restaurants.

In my opinion, even with a better transit access to Manhattan, many suburbs will not be attractive to young adults.

Suburban life is good for famillies with children who want a "safe" environment (no traffic in the area, where everybody know each other) but this is boring for young adult who want crazy things, meeting strangers and plenty of other things you can't find in suburbs because of the too peaceful surrounding.

I read about this a few weeks ago, along with a different article that I cant find right now so I'll paraphrase what I've read. In terms of NYC less people from oversees are being approved for passports, visas, etc to reside in NYC and at the same time many from out of state particularly the midwest are relocating to NYC. Its been the trend for a while, so thats why we see that the hipster subculture is exploding in the Big Apple in recent years.

"Have you ever lived in the suburbs? It’s sterile. It’s nothing. It’s wasting your life.” - Ed Koch

Exactly, thats why the youth find the major coastal cities both sides of the country so alluring. Multicultural global power cities. I was going insane when I was out of state. If I move out of NYC its to San Fran CA. (I might do this in the years to come)

I mean to be brutally honest yes it tends to be annoying if you walk into a crowded car with an homeless man carrying on or smelling horrid , I can understand. But at the same time looking at the big picture objectively I know why this is happening.

I read about this a few weeks ago, along with a different article that I cant find right now so I'll paraphrase what I've read. In terms of NYC less people from oversees are being approved for passports, visas, etc to reside in NYC and at the same time many from out of state particularly the midwest are relocating to NYC. Its been the trend for a while, so thats why we see that the hipster subculture is exploding in the Big Apple in recent years.

"Have you ever lived in the suburbs? It’s sterile. It’s nothing. It’s wasting your life.” - Ed Koch

I don't find living in my current neighborhood sterile at all.  It's a great escape from the hustle, noise and filth that is Manhattan.  Hanging out is great in Manhattan, but after a while the people, noise, filth and rudeness can get to you, and I need to escape all of that and go back to Riverdale.

I mean to be brutally honest yes it tends to be annoying if you walk into a crowded car with an homeless man carrying on or smelling horrid , I can understand. But at the same time looking at the big picture objectively I know why this is happening.

Oops posted in the wrong thread lol. Disregard.

I don't find living in my current neighborhood sterile at all.  It's a great escape from the hustle, noise and filth that is Manhattan.  Hanging out is great in Manhattan, but after a while the people, noise, filth and rudeness can get to you, and I need to escape all of that and go back to Riverdale.

I like the fast paced life but I'll admit over time I can get burned out from time to time (crowds, noize, and oh yeah the rude people etc) so I see what you mean. I think the way I should deal with it living in a busy neighborhood in my case is to take breaks, take a vacation out of state.

Prolly should do that. Maybe take a vacation chill in Maryland as soon as I get a break betwen Spring and Summer semesters, if my finances permits, and let my nerves heal. Yeah your right, in the sense that the hustle of the Big Apple can take a toll. If a person cant afford say like Riverdale a good alternative is to take vacations, road trips, or out of state, or out of the country give it a month and then back to business in NYC refreshed.

Living in the suburbs sucks ass! I'm moving to New York or Chicago as soon as I get into my 20's and get a job I can hold down.
I live in the chicago suburbs and i am either moving to the city , nyc, boston or philly once i graduate.I commute an hour each way and its bearable but at times I wish i lived in the city since there is more to do and see and learn.However, for what I do, the suburbs need people like me, and I have find many opportunities to expand my experience and skills and make a difference here.Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I read about this a few weeks ago, along with a different article that I cant find right now so I'll paraphrase what I've read. In terms of NYC less people from oversees are being approved for passports, visas, etc to reside in NYC and at the same time many from out of state particularly the midwest are relocating to NYC. Its been the trend for a while, so thats why we see that the hipster subculture is exploding in the Big Apple in recent years.  "Have you ever lived in the suburbs? It’s sterile. It’s nothing. It’s wasting your life.” - Ed KochI don't find living in my current neighborhood sterile at all.  It's a great escape from the hustle, noise and filth that is Manhattan.  Hanging out is great in Manhattan, but after a while the people, noise, filth and rudeness can get to you, and I need to escape all of that and go back to Riverdale.
Where you live reminds me of the inner suburbs of Chicago, Oakpark and Evanston. I wouldnt mind living there. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#1.) I don't really consider places like NE Queens, Riverdale, etc suburbs because they're still a part of NYC.

#2.) Having lived in Nassau County for nearly a year (moving out again before the year ends), I can see why people are leaving the suburbs. Suburbs are short on amenities and things that young people actually like (clubs, bars, etc.). The suburbs also carry a sense of elitism (ESPECIALLY IN NASSAU), and the bus service for me isn't bad but I prefer not to take a bus at all (I was raised in the East Village, if that gives you any idea, and I am really anti-car). The commutes are long (whether it is LIRR or NICE) and some people don't wanna deal with that. People in the suburbs are way less open than city dwellers. The suburbians stay home all day until they get into their stupid cars to go to walmart or something. There is way less opportunity job wise and living in the suburbs at a young age can become depressing when you put all the things I wrote here together. 

#1.) I don't really consider places like NE Queens, Riverdale, etc suburbs because they're still a part of NYC.

#2.) Having lived in Nassau County for nearly a year (moving out again before the year ends), I can see why people are leaving the suburbs. Suburbs are short on amenities and things that young people actually like (clubs, bars, etc.). The suburbs also carry a sense of elitism (ESPECIALLY IN NASSAU), and the bus service for me isn't bad but I prefer not to take a bus at all (I was raised in the East Village, if that gives you any idea, and I am really anti-car). The commutes are long (whether it is LIRR or NICE) and some people don't wanna deal with that. People in the suburbs are way less open than city dwellers. The suburbians stay home all day until they get into their stupid cars to go to walmart or something. There is way less opportunity job wise and living in the suburbs at a young age can become depressing when you put all the things I wrote here together. 

They may be still a part of NYC, but they have more in common with things that suburbs have... Fewer amenities, no subway, less walkability in most parts and the commutes tend to be longer and also far cleaner than most neighborhoods in the city.  They certainly aren't "urban" areas that's for sure.  Here in Riverdale, after 20:00 everything is dead.  Stores shut down and there is really no night life to speak of, and I live in the Downtown area.  If you were to walk to Fieldston, you certainly wouldn't think you were in NYC.  For night life everyone including myself goes to the city.  My idea of a nice day in Riverdale would be having a late brunch at An Bocht Beal, and relaxing over at Wave Hill.  The most activity you'll see here late at night is folks out walking their dog.  

Archived