New Lighting on R44 5240

Also while at the New York Transit Museum today photographing the R36WF cars, I also manage to photograph something I observed on R44 car 5240 last week. It turns out that the car interior is in fact being illuminated by LED lights. All of the tube lights that were being used were replaced. It is hard to see in this photo, but the inside of the car looks a bit dimmer than it was when I last photographed it back in September 2013.

May 16, 2014
14199023821_036db901cd_b.jpg

September 21, 2013
9906980526_5772e6a486_b.jpg

Here's the set up I described last week. It was cleaned up a little bit since then. The interior lights are plugged in through an outlet via an extension cord that goes over the railcar along the ceiling and into the cab.
14202303785_3a225f0d21_b.jpg

The light tubes that were replaced, all stored in a box. Not a great photo, but one would have an idea.
14015648128_367d638b17_b.jpg

And inside the cab. The best photo I could take since the cab was dark and the photo was taken with a mobile phone. But one can see more or less all the wiring and apparatuses involved in lighting the preserved R44 railcar.

14222449903_f41239a496_b.jpg

Enjoy.

MF'86
<4>

Nice. Now if they can put them on the 62s, they won't be so dark inside.

Oh wow ditto on the R68s

Not sure why they did that, arguably helpful on a modern car but woefully period incorrect for a member of the museum fleet.

Bingo. Makes you wonder sometimes but oh well. Again I have a gripe with thse R68's they look dark like caves despite its solid performance. Tell you the truth I think its the graffiti proof stainless steel interiors, it does not allow for proper refraction of light. I always wondered abut that....

And of course - @ Friday: +1. Beautiful pics got your sig all over it.

Awesome, thanks for the shares!

Thanks!

Nice. Now if they can put them on the 62s, they won't be so dark inside.

Thanks. Agreed on that one. Including the R46s and 68/As.

Not sure why they did that, arguably helpful on a modern car but woefully period incorrect for a member of the museum fleet.

From what I gathered, it was done to kill off a buzzing undercarriage sound that was coming from the railcar batteries. The museum felt that, since the car's no longer going to run out on the road, they would just modify it so that at least the lights would get power from the outlet. I suppose LEDs were used because the set-up wouldn't have probably worked well with regular lights, and, because now lights are plugged into an outlet, using LEDs saves electricity.

Oh wow ditto on the R68s

Bingo. Makes you wonder sometimes but oh well. Again I have a gripe with thse R68's they look dark like caves despite its solid performance. Tell you the truth I think its the graffiti proof stainless steel interiors, it does not allow for proper refraction of light. I always wondered abut that....

And of course - @ Friday: +1. Beautiful pics got your sig all over it.

Thanks!

Archived