A Bike Got to LaGuardia Airport Faster Than Public Transport

Via Garibaldi 8

Oh yeah? Why is that?

I forgot the exact reason why, but I think it may have to deal with certain rights or abilities that NYCT has over MTA Bus (for certain reasons), and IMO, for the reasoning that placing all the buses to NYCT may make it easier to merge (with MTA Bus in the future). Maybe someone else knows why. It's the same reason why no MTA Bus route were enhanced with funding made by the proposed enhancements in service all this time. That's why all the new routes have gone to MTA NYCT. 

I also think it may have to do with unions, and that the money invested goes to NYCT use, since MTA Bus is reimbursed by the city.

Now, going back to the Q52 and Q70 examples, they did allocate individual amounts of money for them. 

The Q52 did cost to operate, but some of that extra cost to run was offset with the reduction of Q11 bus service in Howard and Hamilton Beach, and the Q21 truncation (it could've been more if they didn't extend the span of the Q21, but whatever). The headway during the day was also increased as well (so the costs shifted around from one route to the either). 

The Q70 also, some of the cost to run was offset by the Q33 truncation, and the widening of the Q33 from every 5 to6 minutes during the rush, and implementing 15 minute headways during the early parts of the rush hour in the reverse peak direction (where before, it was every 8 minutes).

Why did no one try the (E) or (F) to Jackson Heights? 

They originated from Grand Central, so they wanted to start with a transit option near grand central.

MTA Bus can have new routes created but it would have to be recommended/approved by the City since they're the ones paying for it. Modifications like the Q52 or Q70 don't count.

I would imagine that the MTA would ask the city for approval for any new route in MTA Bus territory.

Archived