Statement from NICE Bus Regarding Service for LIRR Passengers

http://www.nicebus.com/Passenger-Information/General-Service-Information.aspx

NICE (Nassau Inter-County Express) operates 48 bus routes that provide service within Nassau County, between far Western Suffolk County and Nassau, and between Nassau and Queens.

It provides regular transit bus service on a total of 10 routes operating between Nassau and Jamaica, Flushing and Far Rockaway, where riders may transfer to MTA subway lines and buses.  Some NICE routes make regular stops at LIRR stations.

In the event of an LIRR disruption, NICE bus will be operating its normal schedule and will be available as an option for riders who use the LIRR.  However, NICE is already a heavily utilized system, providing some 100,000 bus trips on weekdays, with many routes currently running close to capacity during rush hour.  It does not have sufficient resources to provide adequate service for large numbers of additional passengers.  

While NICE hopes it can add some buses on especially heavily travelled routes, it does not have many surplus vehicles that it can put into service.  As a result, with limited available resources, NICE will not be able to add significant capacity. 

NICE riders should be aware that if its buses are used by large numbers of additional riders who normally use the LIRR, and there is increased traffic on the roads as a result of more people driving to work, there will likely be significant crowding conditions and a much slower bus system.

Please note, we may SUSPEND Jones Beach service, in the event of a LIRR strike, so that we may devote these resources towards adding additional service to and from Queens.  We will keep you posted on this possible suspension.

Routes that make a connection with MTA subway and bus in Queens are:

N4/N4X (Freeport-Jamaica)
N6/N6x (Hempstead-Jamaica)
N20/L/N21 (Hicksville-Glen Cove-Roosevelt Field-Flushing)
N22/A/X (Jamaica-Mineola-Roosevelt Field-Hicksville)
N24 (Jamaica-Mineola-Roosevelt Field- East Massapequa)
N26 (Jamaica-Great Neck)
N31/32 (Far Rockaway-Lynnbrook-Hempstead)
N33 (Long Beach-Far Rockaway)

The cash fare for a single ride is $2.25, which must be paid with coins while boarding the bus.  A smartphone mobile app, GoMobile, may also be used for NICE fares traveling within Nassau County. Metrocards may also be used, which entitles the rider to a free transfer to the MTA subway and buses.  Riders who pay in cash or use GoMobile do not receive a free transfer to MTA.

For additional information on routes, schedules and fares, please visit the "passenger information" and "maps & schedules" sections of our website.

For more information on the MTA's strike contingency plans for LIRR service visit   http://web.mta.info/LIRRStrikePlan/PossibleLongIslandRailRoadStrike.html

A few errors in the bus route information which I've made red, but this is what they've posted so far.

IMO the State should already be planning more, as thousands of jobs and businesses are at risk.  I agree (state wise) the labor dispute has nothing to do with the state but the state has a responsibility to come up with a contingency plan and not allow the island to paralyze itself with thousands of cars flooding the highways and the city because the state has forced local agencies to come up with a laughable contingency plan with the limited resources they have.

(Again IMO) The state should already have contracted available coach buses from around the country and they should be getting ready to get these buses to the island.  

There should have been counters on each train every day for the past two weeks to get an estimate of how many people are on each train every trip, how many get on/off at each station so an accurate number of buses can be dispatched at the appropriate time/station.

The State should guarantee the (MTA) , NICE, and SCT (maybe even westchester and NJT?) payment for and expect them to have every bus and driver ready to run express service from certain LIRR stations. 

There should be a dedicated bus lane on the LIE & Sunrise HWY...

To further ease congestion I'd suggest that the state should already be talking to local companies, local trucking companies, and nationwide carriers suggesting that tractor trailers only try to enter during night/overnight hours to avoid sitting in traffic for hours.

Furthermore, I'd expand on that and ask Long Island business to accept these deliveries overnight to help ease congestion and convince them it would be easier for their employees than to be caught up in the mess...

For example,do you know how many tractor trailers CSC Wholesalers (via jb hunt trucking) sends to Long Island grocery stores (Stop & Shop, A&P, Waldbaums, Pathmark, etc etc) in a day?  LOTS!  These trucks come from NJ and Orange County (upstate) so I'd suggest the state work with these companies to have employees work night/over night shifts to allow trucks to travel on LI roads during non peak times...

You think the N19 will get slammed?

Yes, the (MTA) will be running a shuttle from Freeport to Jamaica, so the n19 willbe crush loaded from babylon all the way to freeport!  Let's not forget the n19 only has one bus every 30 minutes during weekday rushes!

According to NICE Bus facebook page, they're only using relief buses on more busy routes like n6/n22/n24/n20/n21 on Nassau-Queens route.

"...at this point our guess would be the routes leading to Queens: n20/21, n22, n24, n6, n4, n1, n33."

"...Transportation will have to make decisions as to where extra service is needed, as the situations come up. Our vehicles/staffing is very limited, so we will need to be flexible and nimble."

"...We will be adding all of the extra buses on heavy routes that we can, but our equipment and manpower is extremely limited. Our system is designed to carry our 100,000 daily passengers.... And so to add some of the LIRR's 300,000 daily riders to our system, along with the additional car traffic, is going to be a tremendous strain. The MTA is hiring private carriers for shuttle buses."

When I went to fare hike meeting and past Sunday, NICE Bus didn't sent any relief bus to n87/88 bus when I went to Jones Beach.

I don't think relief bus wouldn't work out well if buses breaksdown.

In other words, any east-west route is fair game and them choosing where to send relief buses is completely dependent on the areas that decide to car pool and the areas that decide to take the bus, something that can't be speculated and can only be decided when the actual strike happens.

There are no relief buses for Jones Beach service besides Memorial Day weekend. 2nd, please don't go to another fare hike meeting. You ruined last week's.

Slightly off-topic, I did not ruin the meeting. I wasn't only you-know-what (since I can't mention here). There were five of us plus Tri-State Campaign.

One standing up with member and he works for Jones Beach at East Bathhouse.

8 of us were members, other were elected officials.

img_3129.jpg?w=1218

It's my duty and I have to attend every public hearing on NICE, MTA, etc.

Public Hearing is for anyone.

I use NICE/SCT to access public hearing on NICE, MTA, Nuclear or use NICE/SCT to access Animal Protest.

Back to topic, if trains goes on strike, n19, n23, n27, n35, n70/71/72 buses will be heavily used.

New revision:

Statement from NICE Bus Regarding Service for LIRR Passengers
REV 7-16-14

NICE (Nassau Inter-County Express) operates 48 bus routes that provide service within Nassau County, between far Western Suffolk County and Nassau, and between Nassau and Queens.

In the event of an LIRR disruption, NICE riders should anticipate crowded conditions, longer lines and congested traffic with a potential for significant delays.
NICE has been preparing for the LIRR disruption by identifying and maximizing all its available additional vehicles that can provide service; pin pointing the runs most likely in need of additional capacity (in priority order); deploying NICE Service Quality Managers to potential hot spots to alleviate issues; and closely coordinating with multiple agencies including the Office of Emergency Management.

While NICE hopes it can add some buses on especially heavily travelled routes, it does not have many surplus vehicles that it can put into service.  As a result, with limited available resources, NICE will not be able to add significant capacity. 

NICE provides regular transit bus service on a total of 10 routes operating between Nassau and Jamaica, Flushing and Far Rockaway, where riders may transfer to MTA subway lines and buses.  Some NICE routes make regular stops at LIRR stations.   NICE bus will be operating its normal Sunday and weekday schedules and will be available as an option for riders who use the LIRR. 

However, NICE is already a heavily utilized system, providing some 100,000 bus trips on weekdays, with many routes currently running close to capacity during rush hour.  It does not have sufficient surplus resources to provide adequate service for large numbers of additional passengers.  

Please note that Jones Beach service may be suspended, in the event of a strike, so that we may devote these vehicles and manpower to heavily traveled routes to and from Queens.

Routes that make connections with MTA subway and bus in Queens are:

N4/N4X (Freeport-Jamaica)
N6/N6x (Hempstead-Jamaica)
N20/L/N21 (Hicksville-Glen Cove-Great Neck-Flushing)
N22/A/X (Jamaica-Mineola-Roosevelt Field-Hicksville)
N24 (Jamaica-Mineola-Roosevelt Field- Hicksville)
N26 (Jamaica-Great Neck)
N31/32 (Far Rockaway-Lynbrook-Hempstead)
N33 (Long Beach-Far Rockaway)

The cash fare for a single ride is $2.25, which must be paid with coins while boarding the bus.  A smartphone mobile app, GoMobile, may also be used for NICE fares traveling within Nassau County. Metrocards may also be used, which entitles the rider to a free transfer to the MTA subway and buses.  Riders who pay in cash or use GoMobile do not receive a free transfer to MTA.

For additional information on routes, schedules and fares, please visit the "General Service Information" and "Maps & Schedules" sections of this website.. For up to the minute NICE Bus information follow us on Facebook and Twitter @Thenicebus. 
To learn more about the LIRR plans in case of a strike, visit http://web.mta.info/LIRRStrikePlan/PossibleLongIslandRailRoadStrike.html

I'm gonna foam for a minute...  Too bad the state isn't having other agencies work together and share resources in this crisis...  How cool would it be to see a Suffolk County Transit or BeeLine bus on the n4 or n6?!?

That would be interesting but probably confusing since the buses would look different and they wouldn't have NICE route programming for the signs so they'd need the sign in the windshield.

I'm gonna foam for a minute... Too bad the state isn't having other agencies work together and share resources in this crisis... How cool would it be to see a Suffolk County Transit or BeeLine bus on the n4 or n6?!?

The problem is their systems need to run too.... Especially Suffolk County..

That would be interesting but probably confusing since the buses would look different and they wouldn't have NICE route programming for the signs so they'd need the sign in the windshield.

Yea, I've never seen a sign in the window of the n4 before....  lol

As far as the buses looking different, I don't think the average person see's this as much as us...  With the news and social media I'm sure they'd get the word out.....

The problem is their systems need to run too.... Especially Suffolk County..

:rolleyes: I wasn't really serious and why couldn't either agency help while also running there system as well?  I don't think SCT or BeeLine is tapped to the point where they couldn't offer a few buses & drivers.  It would come down to money, and if the state agreed to it reimburse the, who cares?  

It would've been Christmas in July for foamers....lol

Strike averted... but I'm sure that people are pissed.

Now the Hampton Jitney can't make $1,500 per bus going into the city, greedy union!  :D

Archived