Question on the IND QBL and rails

realizm

I think the reason for that sound is when they use that machine to grind the rails. It makes the head of the rail slightly pointy, so the wheels ride on a small profile of the rail. That would explain why it goes away after time.

More or less. I was going to grab a video on the way home from work, but my phone's mic is shotty. I'll have to remeber my camera tomorrow.

The sound would make a great asset for any train sim.

Record with one of these: http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/cat-audio/cat-recorders/product-PCMD100/

I've got one and it's just about the best you can get with a portable microphone/recorder.

I meant to add that I add the sound to the video later after I record. I don't trust my phone or DSLR microphone either, though the DSLR does significantly better.

They did this on the N/B local between 23rd and 34th. Meant to tell you that. I guess they did this before with the aftermath of the the West 4th derailment? Which oddly enough also involved R46 cars which derailed due to a rail condition.

Im not sure if Any one noticed and asked this, But has any one noticed that the Manhattan bound express track at Roosevelt avenue, when an R160 goes by it, sounds like an R1? I tried catching it on video but it seems its only certain R160s make those weird R1 noises.

Record with one of these: http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/cat-audio/cat-recorders/product-PCMD100/

I've got one and it's just about the best you can get with a portable microphone/recorder.

The issue with my phone is that I dropped the mic end in to a bowl of coconut oil, which solidifies at about a pretty high 75 degrees Fahrenheit. So unless I'm on speaker phone, no sound short of shouting gets through the mic.

I finally remembered my camera, I'll try to post a station to station video tonight.

I think the reason for that sound is when they use that machine to grind the rails. It makes the head of the rail slightly pointy, so the wheels ride on a small profile of the rail. That would explain why it goes away after time.

This was the theory I was thinking of. I noticed the tracks at Roosevelt on the SB Express track have ridges in them. If it's because of the ties then that doesn't explain why the sound goes away.

Archived