Is the B15 underestimated?

MysteriousBtrain

After taking a ride on the B15 today, I have a few questions for the route. First, there were 3 buses at the same time when I rode the B15. Second, the subway map does not show the B15 west of the New Lots (L) station. And finally, the B15 has select trips ending at Spring creek instead of JFK Airport. Do you think the B15 needs an improvement and needs more recognition? Or is the B15 fine the way it is and won't affect others?

After taking a ride on the B15 today, I have a few questions for the route. First, there were 3 buses at the same time when I rode the B15. Second, the subway map does not show the B15 west of the New Lots (L) station. And finally, the B15 has select trips ending at Spring creek instead of JFK Airport. Do you think the B15 needs an improvement and needs more recognition? Or is the B15 fine the way it is and won't affect others?

I'll do it like this...

Your statements:

- What do you mean there were 3 buses at the same time when you rode the B15? Elucidate on that a little more.

- Lol.... TBH, I didn't think the subway map would show the B15 route west of the (3)....

- Yeah, those trips that end at Linden/Elderts are short turns (that terminal change happened last year around this time... before that, the short turn trips ended inside the Brooklyn General Mail Facility)... It's unnecessary to have every trip on the B15 (as much as I like the route) running to/from the airport.... Besides, think about the intra-Brooklyn riders of the route - Which there are obviously more of, than riders riding seeking or coming from the airport......

Your questions:

- Well, You'll get your fair share of people that'll be on the "B15 needs a LTD" bandwagon... Me, I happen to think the route can benefit from another short turn location (JFK trips).... The Penn. av short turn trips benefit too few people, IMO..... I always though the route should have a short turn terminal at either 2 locations: At ENY/Ralph or E. 98th/Church.

I've pointed this out so many times on here before... The thing with the B15 is, you will get Brooklyn riders that will shun the Spring Creek trips, to board the JFK ones - even though they are not riding to JFK.... I have noticed this for years now, and for the life of me, I cannot understand it... I can understand taking the JFK bus if it's the first bus that comes, but to pass up relatively empty buses doing the short turn trips, for (usually) packed JFK bound buses, when said folks are getting off somewhere in Brooklyn, is beyond me.....

Maybe this is their way of getting the MTA to have the JFK buses run LTD shhh.gif

Oh, as to the question posed in the thread title.... I don't know if I'd say underestimated, I'd probably go more with underappreciated... The Q10 & the M60 by FAR get more advertisement/recognition over the B15.... The B15 should not get the same recognition as the Q3; which borders on very, very little....

When I rode the B15 uptown, There were 3 B15 buses coming from JFK. I was in the middle one. Also, I know that the B15 connects to the (3)(C)(J)(L)(M) lines, so there should be more than just a route east of the (L). And if the B15 is compared to the Q3, then I wouldn't even include the Q3 on the subway map at all because the major airport routes are the Q10, Q70, and M60 routes.

Maybe the B15 route needs to be split in two?

The B15/Q3 IMO is the "bus that just happens to go to the airport" while the Q10/M60/Q70 is the "Airport Bus." Would people in Bed-Stuy miss having the B15 if, for example, a B85 to Brookdale Hospital ran in its place? (Legit question, I never rode the B15 a day in my life)

The 15 is one of those lines where you're screwed no matter how you look at at. Barely meets the guidelines for limited service, SBS would involve major rerouting since the majority of the streets have no room for a bus lane, and splitting it would screw over more people than it would actually help. There's a number of people (myself included) who go from Bed-Stuy to Brownsville/ENY, and splitting it would require people to transfer.

Don't get me wrong, that 15 gets hammered and bunches up a lot, but I think LTD service would just make it worse.

3 beese at the same time = beese back to back to back.

The simple verbiage I got.... I wanted to know specifically/exactly what he meant, in regards to his ride there.....

When I rode the B15 uptown, There were 3 B15 buses coming from JFK. I was in the middle one. Also, I know that the B15 connects to the (3)(C)(J)(L)(M) lines, so there should be more than just a route east of the (L). And if the B15 is compared to the Q3, then I wouldn't even include the Q3 on the subway map at all because the major airport routes are the Q10, Q70, and M60 routes.

So the Brooklyn bound B15 ran in a bunch of 3, that all came from JFK???? Unless I'm misunderstanding you, I've never heard of anything like that happening before.... I'd like to know wth happened with the Spring Creek buses (the short turns) then !

Anyway, as far as the whole not drawing in the full B15 route on the subway map.... I have to agree with the MTA with that (even though I get what you're conveying)..... They know full well JFK seekers don't start boarding the B15 (well, significantly anyway) up until it hits the (L).... The subway stations the B15 serves west (is what you meant) & north of New Lots (L), seldom sees much ppl. xferring off it, for the B15 for the (somewhere within) the airport specifically....

If the B15 is compared to the Q3 in the regard of which I mentioned in my last post... I mean, well, they won't omit showing the Q3 on the subway map, for the simple fact it serves a major hub (and/or CDB, although I don't consider it as such) like Jamaica.....

I forgot to mention that I like the idea of the B15 having JFK trips run limited and the Spring Creek trips local. But does the B15 have the ridership for it?

The B15 brings in over 20k/weekday.... Total ridership need not be worried about B-)

Have the B15 run LTD, and the (would-be) locals would get shunned even moreso than they do now (unless you space out the would-be LTD stops something ridiculous).....

The B15/Q3 IMO is the "bus that just happens to go to the airport" while the Q10/M60/Q70 is the "Airport Bus." Would people in Bed-Stuy miss having the B15 if, for example, a B85 to Brookdale Hospital ran in its place? (Legit question, I never rode the B15 a day in my life)

All these years posting/lurking on different NYC based transit forums, I don't know if I've ever heard anyone state that the B15 is too long..... Breaking it up wouldn't solve anything.... Matter fact, it would ignite talks of having another Brooklyn-JFK route.... That, and a Woodhull hosp. - Brookdale hosp. route (via the current B15 routing) would not yield much more than service every 20 mins during any part of the day (incl. rush hours).... The (would be) Brookdale - JFK route (of the split) would get the vast majority of current B15 service, if the B15 were to be broken up in that fashion....

The Bed Stuy folks (in general) wouldn't wince if the B15 never served JFK in-particular anymore.... However, if you have those riders (and there are plenty of them, as Fresh Pond pointed out) having to take a 2nd bus to get to ENY (or anywhere east of Church, for the matter).... Yep, they would certainly miss that.

The B15 is by far and away the longest route in Brooklyn Division (scheduled at close to 2 hours a trip), but there is no good place at which one can really do a short-turn. The solution on the JFK end might be to have some trips (when there isn't a Spring Creek short-turn) end at the AirTrain station, and have others continue on to the central terminals area. (A portalet should be placed here so that drivers can relieve themselves; that tends to cause a lot of bunching because having to walk to Terminal 7 to use the bathroom is long.

Now that you mention it B35, I noticed the 3rd bus when I entered Brooklyn. That might have been one from Spring Creek.

However, 2 buses definitely came from JFK because I missed riding one in JFK and another bus came shortly after.

Yes, B15's running in two's is rather common, in either direction of the route....

The B15 is by far and away the longest route in Brooklyn Division (scheduled at close to 2 hours a trip), but there is no good place at which one can really do a short-turn. The solution on the JFK end might be to have some trips (when there isn't a Spring Creek short-turn) end at the AirTrain station, and have others continue on to the central terminals area. (A portalet should be placed here so that drivers can relieve themselves; that tends to cause a lot of bunching because having to walk to Terminal 7 to use the bathroom is long.

Logistically, there's not much sense in having B15 short turns end in Spring Creek & having B15 short turns end at Lefferts AIRTrain, with the full route running to T5......

You're either gonna have the setup you have now (short turns remaining ending in Brooklyn), or the B15 short turns extended to Lefferts AIRTrain.... Keeping the short turns in Brooklyn significantly cuts down on mileage, so they're gonna go that route..... Instead of having B15's end at Lefferts AIRTrain, I'd propose the B20 ending at Lefferts AIRTrain (full time) as a supplement (along with other changes to the B20 to better assist the B15).....

Besides, the idea of B15 short turns ending at lefferts AIRTrain could end up translating to the B15 ending there full time... I honestly believe that...

Archived