Abandoned Station

Bracamonte

I'm going to answer this question for you guys , and also give a very friendly but serious little bit of advice ... it's 63rd/Lex ...

That being said , some advice to anyone going and "exploring" the system or impersonating track workers ... not only will you get caught on camera trespassing in most of the hidden places in the system , police do patrol at irregular times these places and if you get busted trespassing , they will arrest you and not just chase you away. And in certain places/circumstances they can charge you with burglary which is a felony and not just give you a summons for trespassing. If you wanted to work for the MTA , or get any other civil service job one day you can forget about that for good if that happens. That's how it is now , in this day and age. If you have a cousin or friend or whatever who used to bomb trains in the 80's and has 20 arrests for vandalism and got a job down here or as a cop or whatever a decade ago , don't think the same rules apply anymore because they don't. YOU will not get hired , and that's for sure. And I know if I catch anyone down there or any other motorman does while working , we're going to get the police there ASAP , and we're not going to think you're cool or what you're doing is cute. Don't trespass or impersonate the track workers.

I know the open competitive Train Operator's exam is supposed to be coming up again I believe early next year. Word has it they're going to terminate the list they have now soon. I think the conductors test is also coming up soon If anyone is interested check the MTA web site and I'll post back on here if I get any more info on any tests coming out.

I'm going to answer this question for you guys , and also give a very friendly but serious little bit of advice ... it's 63rd/Lex ...

That being said , some advice to anyone going and "exploring" the system or impersonating track workers ... not only will you get caught on camera trespassing in most of the hidden places in the system , police do patrol at irregular times these places and if you get busted trespassing , they will arrest you and not just chase you away. And in certain places/circumstances they can charge you with burglary which is a felony and not just give you a summons for trespassing. If you wanted to work for the MTA , or get any other civil service job one day you can forget about that for good if that happens. That's how it is now , in this day and age. If you have a cousin or friend or whatever who used to bomb trains in the 80's and has 20 arrests for vandalism and got a job down here or as a cop or whatever a decade ago , don't think the same rules apply anymore because they don't. YOU will not get hired , and that's for sure. And I know if I catch anyone down there or any other motorman does while working , we're going to get the police there ASAP , and we're not going to think you're cool or what you're doing is cute. Don't trespass or impersonate the track workers.

I know the open competitive Train Operator's exam is supposed to be coming up again I believe early next year. Word has it they're going to terminate the list they have now soon. I think the conductors test is also coming up soon If anyone is interested check the MTA web site and I'll post back on here if I get any more info on any tests coming out.

Thank you for posting this.

Short of joining the (MTA) the only way you'll see these stations etc is if you get a tour by a (MTA) employee. Inquire with them politely in emails & phone calls. You might just get that peek you want without being killed or arrested!

- A

Thank you for posting this.

Short of joining the (MTA) the only way you'll see these stations etc is if you get a tour by a (MTA) employee. Inquire with them politely in emails & phone calls. You might just get that peek you want without being killed or arrested!

- A

Indeed, a good place to start is by sending the MTA an email about a specific station (or part of one) you'd like to see. They sent me an email filled with valuable information... such as the special events coordinator's contact information. Other than an arranged visit through the MTA there is no way you will legally get in there (or anywhere off limits), and as has been mentioned before, the consequences aren't something to shrug off.

http://www.mta.info/nyct/hr/index.html

This is the link to check what's open in the way of jobs with the MTA. I wish all of you guys and girls that want to come down here and work the best of luck. If I can answer any questions for any of you , ask away.

I just checked , filing for Conductor , exam 8094 is open until September 23rd , so HURRY if you are interested ... $17.50/hr to start , city residency NOT required ... $25.00/hr after 3 years which is only between $3-4 hr less than T/O's make ... most conductors I know down here enjoy the job and the promotional opportunities are to Train Operator or ATD (assistant dispatcher) ...

You take a written exam and a medical. No college required. I think the conductor school car is around 2 months or so , not 100% sure on that ... check out the link and good luck :D

Thanks for the info and advice. The whole exploration thing is something I see that is not worth the risk and a job with the TA would be alot more fun and safer. Do you know when the next test for tack work is, I have been checking the MTA site for the past few years and I never see anything.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, but is it G3 or G4? :)

And I know if I catch anyone down there or any other motorman does while working , we're going to get the police there ASAP , and we're not going to think you're cool or what you're doing is cute. Don't trespass or impersonate the track workers.

Exactly. If I recognize anyone doing that, I'm immediately summoning the police. Even if I recognize them as railfans.

Archived