NYPD officer caught on tape smashing alleged fare beater in head with baton at Bklyn train station

TDXNYC88

On one end, you have a guy who earns in the range of $40,000+, wears a badge, wields a gun and nightstick, enjoys perks like sick days, paid vacations, and pension, whose job is to uphold and enforce the law; on the other is a young adult apathetic enough to fare-beat – in 2014. Between the two of them, who's in a position of power? Who has more of a socioeconomic advantage? Who's more likely to go on a power trip here? 

As for your other question, regardless of color, classism is classism. The only way racism could be applied would be if there were irrefutable circumstances backing up said claim.

And that's precisely my point...  When white cops do these things against blacks it's always racism, but when a black cop does this against a black person it's classism...  Do we know the history of this cop to automatically say that it's classism?

(I) Always said black cops/judges/CO's are worse than the white ones.... Typical of blacks (either gender) tryna "fit in" with white society....

This incident doesn't surprise me in the least....

That's exactly why IMO hiring minority police officers will not lessen police brutality on minorities (primarily blacks and Hispanics), but society would like to believe that, which I find annoying.  I don't think people realize how much division there is in minority communities.

You want an attention grabbing, fair headline, that won't result in a lawsuit?

"CLUB NIGHT: Ex-con clubbed violating probation over $2.50 subway fare, caught on video allegedly resisting arrest"

I don't care what political rant you want to go on, hitting him in face was wrong by any standard. It broke protocol and it was a ridiculous use of force by a poorly trained officer. Your headline somehow ignores that.

I don't care what political rant you want to go on, hitting him in face was wrong by any standard. It broke protocol and it was a ridiculous use of force by a poorly trained officer. Your headline somehow ignores that.

Poorly trained officer? What evidence do you have to support that he was poorly trained??

Poorly trained officer? What evidence do you have to support that he was poorly trained??

He broke protocol because he acted out of emotion rather than reason. Any officer who breaks protocol is either poorly trained or deliberately inadequate at their job.

That's exactly why IMO hiring minority police officers will not lessen police brutality on minorities (primarily blacks and Hispanics), but society would like to believe that, which I find annoying.  I don't think people realize how much division there is in minority communities.

There is a huge division in minority communities. The working poor who just want and honest life and can't afford to live better, or are uncomfortable leaving a neighborhood that shares their ethnicity (especially Spanish neighborhoods) is tired of this hood bulls*** in their neighborhoods and fearing for their safety.

They WANT help in removing this underclass scourge from their neighborhood with the loud music, the fights, the shootings, the robberies, the vandalism, the smell of pot being smoked everywhere, the street harassment (especially of women), and the constant loitering. They are unwilling and unable to handle this problem themselves for fear of retribution.

Powers that be have no interest in cleaning up these neighborhoods since, if they become livable, would become affordable alternatives to the overpriced crap being sold in Manhattan, downtown Brooklyn, and LIC/Astoria...which would drive prices down in those areas since there are more "livable" areas for those with the means.

There is a huge division in minority communities. The working poor who just want and honest life and can't afford to live better, or are uncomfortable leaving a neighborhood that shares their ethnicity (especially Spanish neighborhoods) is tired of this hood bulls*** in their neighborhoods and fearing for their safety.

They WANT help in removing this underclass scourge from their neighborhood with the loud music, the fights, the shootings, the robberies, the vandalism, the smell of pot being smoked everywhere, the street harassment (especially of women), and the constant loitering. They are unwilling and unable to handle this problem themselves for fear of retribution.

Powers that be have no interest in cleaning up these neighborhoods since, if they become livable, would become affordable alternatives to the overpriced crap being sold in Manhattan, downtown Brooklyn, and LIC/Astoria...which would drive prices down in those areas since there are more "livable" areas for those with the means.

There certainly is.  

The other part you mentioned is also true.

I don't think he acted out of emotion at all.  I think he just thought he was putting that guy in his place...

Thankfully, folks like you are not lawmakers, and in our society it's never legally up to one guy's discretion to "put someone in their place" with violence. To hit someone in the head with a stick over failing to pay a $2.50 fare is the very definition of "Cruel and Unusual Punishment" - so we're actually constitutionally protected against being "put in our place" thusly for such indiscretions. 

I guarantee that if you broke some minor rule, tried to argue your point, and ended up getting clubbed in the head you'd be very very quick to sue and cry foul. 

"But I'm an upstanding individual and it would never happen to me" you say. Yeah, well. See how much those cops like your down-talking  :D

The problem with this situation is we have no idea what happened before the video started rolling. If the fare-beater was scuffling with the cop - that's one thing, if the fare-beater only started "resisting" to prevent injury to himself, that's a totally different thing. 

Thankfully, folks like you are not lawmakers, and in our society it's never legally up to one guy's discretion to "put someone in their place" with violence. To hit someone in the head with a stick over failing to pay a $2.50 fare is the very definition of "Cruel and Unusual Punishment" - so we're actually constitutionally protected against being "put in our place" thusly for such indiscretions. 

I guarantee that if you broke some minor rule, tried to argue your point, and ended up getting clubbed in the head you'd be very very quick to sue and cry foul. 

"But I'm an upstanding individual and it would never happen to me" you say. Yeah, well. See how much those cops like your down-talking  :D

The problem with this situation is we have no idea what happened before the video started rolling. If the fare-beater was scuffling with the cop - that's one thing, if the fare-beater only started "resisting" to prevent injury to himself, that's a totally different thing. 

I don't know what exactly you mean with that whole thank God I'm not a lawmaker.  My opinion is that the cop used excessive force and did so because the person in question was black.  The fact that the cop is black IMO is precisely why.  Black and Hispanic officers seem to have a thing about using excessive force on their own kind.  I think it gives them a sense of superiority somehow.  

Many years ago I used my student Metrocard for a dentist appointment on a day that wasn't a school day (I believe it was a holiday).  Coming back from the appointment, I used the subway.  There were two undercover plain clothed cops who were there.  They asked me where I was going and I explained to them that I was coming from a dentist appointment.  I had received surgery for impacted teeth in my jawbone, and needed to go back for a check up to ensure all was well.  The black cop was extremely aggressive.  It was the white cop that persuaded the black cop to let me go.  Now I'm of mixed background.  If I was a black guy, I'm almost certain that I wouldn't have received such fortune, but that black guy was extremely aggressive especially seeing a mixed guy like me.  I'm sure he wanted to collar me to make up for all of the racism and discrimination and other BS he's received.  

And that's precisely my point...  When white cops do these things against blacks it's always racism, but when a black cop does this against a black person it's classism...  Do we know the history of this cop to automatically say that it's classism?

Spoken like someone who buys way too much into mass media. Again, you still fail to see the bigger picture. And it's funny how you're questioning me about classism, and you've yet to even give any real, concrete idea as to why it's racism.

And you're just on the outside looking in. FYI, the world doesn't revolve around you. Did you encounter a racial/classist scenario that suddenly changed your whole viewpoint on every single minority individual you see; and if so, do you think you're the only one it could happen to? Whatever happened to judging people based on the impression they make? You paint the world with a broad brush, and I honestly doubt that you'd ever understand that not everyone in this melting pot of a city is a dick. 

Spoken like someone who buys way too much into mass media. Again, you still fail to see the bigger picture. And it's funny how you're questioning me about classism, and you've yet to even give any real, concrete idea as to why it's racism.

And you're just on the outside looking in. FYI, the world doesn't revolve around you. Did you encounter a racial/classist scenario that suddenly changed your whole viewpoint on every single minority individual you see; and if so, do you think you're the only one it could happen to? Whatever happened to judging people based on the impression they make? You paint the world with a broad brush, and I honestly doubt that you'd ever understand that not everyone in this melting pot of a city is a dick. 

The world doesn't have to revolve around me, but on the same token, I've worked in very racialized industries where race DOES matter, and I also have friends that work in the NYPD, so I'm not just making this up in my head.  B35 touched upon what I was trying to say and he stated it very elegantly, and for the record he's black.  I'll quote him since he pretty much sums up my thoughts about this whole situation in a nutshell:

"(I) Always said black cops/judges/CO's are worse than the white ones.... Typical of blacks (either gender) tryna "fit in" with white society....

This incident doesn't surprise me in the least....

Now boarding, coon train on track 1 & coon train on track 2 - once you've received your passengers, you may proceed..... engineer with the signal....

In all seriousness, it does not help that black males in general do not trust each other on the collective level...."

I'm going off of my gut and what I've seen when it comes to black cops and how they handle black men and minorities in general (excluding Asians). 

And for the record, SubwayGuy also shares my opinion about a ton of division in minority communities.

There is a huge division in minority communities. 

I may not be black, but I know what I'm talking about and 9 times out of 10 I'd go with my instinct on this one that the black cop used police brutality because the guy was black.

This kind of thinking is the problem in America today: "He didn't hurt anyone." "It's a minor crime."

These sorts of statements I have a humongous problem with. A law was violated. It's theft. Stealing a bunch of groceries from the corner store, picking someone's pocket, hopping a turnstile - THESE ARE ALL THEFT. It's against the law to do it, and no crime is victimless.

Because of farebeats, the MTA loses tens of millions of dollars per year (possibly untold more) which leads to increased pressure to cut costs or raise fares on the very people who do raise the fares. It also decreases revenues for the agency so employees like myself have a harder time negotiating a fair wage increase come contract time. How would you like it if you worked at a deli, and someone constantly robbed off the shelves, so you were told "we can't afford to pay you more" every time you needed a raise, while costs are going up all around you?

This is the same sort of idiotic "leniency" thinking for why America has been so soft on white collar crime. Even though the ashes of financial ruin are all around us, and people have lost trillions of dollars of wealth in the financial crisis of 2009, and years off their lives working to make back what was stolen, you have not seen one criminal case brought other than Madoff who was placed in a country club prison because, well, "he didn't hurt anyone." Yet now I can't buy and sell stock without large commissions, and banks under pressure to satisfy their executives with ever growing compensation in the wake of this disaster now charge me account fees on most of the accounts I have. So we are all victims of that.

Look, I'm not saying that NYPD needs to make it standard policy to club people in the face (obviously, it should not), but how STUPID do you have to be? An officer spots you doing something you know is illegal, and your instinct is to run/fight back? People do crazy things when they feel their safety is threatened. The cop had no backup, he doesn't know who this guy is, and he's fighting him like HELL over a minor violation...which is a strange act in and of itself that could cause this officer to worry that perhaps this person is armed, who knows? People do violent things "Fight or Flight" when their safety gets threatened - and the cops are paid NOT to run away.

It's common sense that when an officer tries to arrest you, you comply, you are courteous, and you explain yourself later because you will get that chance.

Don't give me the straw man of "If I ever broke some minor rule..." I have broken these so-called "minor" rules, knew what I was doing was against the rules as I did it...and once or twice I've gotten caught (mostly in youth). And do you know what I did? I stopped, complied, and went on my way...usually having to pay some fine, sometimes getting off with a warning. I did not run away. I did not fight back. I did not get into a verbal altercation. In fact, that's what most people do. And, imagine this, I didn't get clubbed in the head or punched, or chokeheld, because I wasn't acting like an ass. I paid the fine, got the warning, and went on my merry way.

Put it in vehicle terms...you're speeding, sirens flashing behind you. What do you do...pull off to the side of the road, or go all OJ?

So the cop broke protocol...he will get disciplined for that. But the line of thinking that defends these animals who commit various minor and major crimes and have lengthy rap sheets and haven't been put down like animals who attack humans the way they have would be, is completely flawed. These people need to be locked up and the key thrown away, there is no reason for them to be on the streets. But those with the agenda of using these isolated incidents (and yes in a city of 8 million people....they are isolated) as fodder to undermine the respect, credibility, and authority of the NYPD have an agenda of lawlessness in mind, and if it comes to fruition, it will be FAR WORSE than anything in our lifetimes.

This kind of thinking is the problem in America today: "He didn't hurt anyone." "It's a minor crime."

These sorts of statements I have a humongous problem with. A law was violated. It's theft. Stealing a bunch of groceries from the corner store, picking someone's pocket, hopping a turnstile - THESE ARE ALL THEFT. It's against the law to do it, and no crime is victimless.

Because of farebeats, the MTA loses tens of millions of dollars per year (possibly untold more) which leads to increased pressure to cut costs or raise fares on the very people who do raise the fares. It also decreases revenues for the agency so employees like myself have a harder time negotiating a fair wage increase come contract time. How would you like it if you worked at a deli, and someone constantly robbed off the shelves, so you were told "we can't afford to pay you more" every time you needed a raise, while costs are going up all around you?

This is the same sort of idiotic "leniency" thinking for why America has been so soft on white collar crime. Even though the ashes of financial ruin are all around us, and people have lost trillions of dollars of wealth in the financial crisis of 2009, and years off their lives working to make back what was stolen, you have not seen one criminal case brought other than Madoff who was placed in a country club prison because, well, "he didn't hurt anyone." Yet now I can't buy and sell stock without large commissions, and banks under pressure to satisfy their executives with ever growing compensation in the wake of this disaster now charge me account fees on most of the accounts I have. So we are all victims of that.

Look, I'm not saying that NYPD needs to make it standard policy to club people in the face (obviously, it should not), but how STUPID do you have to be? An officer spots you doing something you know is illegal, and your instinct is to run/fight back? People do crazy things when they feel their safety is threatened. The cop had no backup, he doesn't know who this guy is, and he's fighting him like HELL over a minor violation...which is a strange act in and of itself that could cause this officer to worry that perhaps this person is armed, who knows? People do violent things "Fight or Flight" when their safety gets threatened - and the cops are paid NOT to run away.

It's common sense that when an officer tries to arrest you, you comply, you are courteous, and you explain yourself later because you will get that chance.

Don't give me the straw man of "If I ever broke some minor rule..." I have broken these so-called "minor" rules, knew what I was doing was against the rules as I did it...and once or twice I've gotten caught (mostly in youth). And do you know what I did? I stopped, complied, and went on my way...usually having to pay some fine, sometimes getting off with a warning. I did not run away. I did not fight back. I did not get into a verbal altercation. In fact, that's what most people do. And, imagine this, I didn't get clubbed in the head or punched, or chokeheld, because I wasn't acting like an ass. I paid the fine, got the warning, and went on my merry way.

Put it in vehicle terms...you're speeding, sirens flashing behind you. What do you do...pull off to the side of the road, or go all OJ?

So the cop broke protocol...he will get disciplined for that. But the line of thinking that defends these animals who commit various minor and major crimes and have lengthy rap sheets and haven't been put down like animals who attack humans the way they have would be, is completely flawed. These people need to be locked up and the key thrown away, there is no reason for them to be on the streets. But those with the agenda of using these isolated incidents (and yes in a city of 8 million people....they are isolated) as fodder to undermine the respect, credibility, and authority of the NYPD have an agenda of lawlessness in mind, and if it comes to fruition, it will be FAR WORSE than anything in our lifetimes.

itmaybeokay is one of those the cops are animals types until he needs the cops to come to his aid...  <_<  I for the most part am pro-cop save the few pigs like this particular cop.

On one end, you have a guy who earns in the range of $40,000+, wears a badge, wields a gun and nightstick, enjoys perks like sick days, paid vacations, and pension, whose job is to uphold and enforce the law; on the other is a young adult apathetic enough to fare-beat – in 2014. Between the two of them, who's in a position of power? Who has more of a socioeconomic advantage? Who's more likely to go on a power trip here? 

As for your other question, regardless of color, classism is classism. The only way racism could be applied would be if there were irrefutable circumstances backing up said claim.

Don't waste your time with this guy--he doesn't understand what burden of proof means. He also doesn't understand what a red herring or a non-sequitur is. Nor does he care.

He likes baiting people--he was the FIRST ONE to bring up race (as he usually does), gets called out for it, then goes on the attack.

Then he starts talking about minority hiring and how the black cop was being racist. Again, how all of this can be extrapolated from a video, I don't know. He must have magic seeing powers.

And after this post, he'll go on the attack with an ad hominem.

Leave him alone--just warning you.

Don't waste your time with this guy--he doesn't understand what burden of proof means. He also doesn't understand what a red herring or a non-sequitur is. Nor does he care.

He likes baiting people--he was the FIRST ONE to bring up race (as he usually does), gets called out for it, then goes on the attack.

Then he starts talking about minority hiring and how the black cop was being racist. Again, how all of this can be extrapolated from a video, I don't know. He must have magic seeing powers.

And after this post, he'll go on the attack with an ad hominem.

Leave him alone--just warning you.

My comments aren't based on evidence. I'm just voicing my opinion, just as others have who haven't used any actual evidence to support their opinion.  Nobody has to agree with it. The only time you seem to appear is when I post.  How interesting...  <_<

I'm speaking about something that some folks don't like to air out in public.  That's the real problem... Black on black hatred isn't something that folks want to discuss and the thought of it existing is supposedly a "non-issue" hence why no one brought up race aside from me and a few others in here, but it exists, and it isn't just because of this one incident either.

My comments aren't based on evidence. I'm just voicing my opinion, just as others have who haven't used any actual evidence to support their opinion.  Nobody has to agree with it. The only time you seem to appear is when I post.  How interesting...  <_<

I'm speaking about something that some folks don't like to air out in public.  That's the real problem... Black on black hatred isn't something that folks want to discuss and the thought of it existing is supposedly a "non-issue" hence why no one brought up race aside from me and a few others in here, but it exists, and it isn't just because of this one incident either.

My opinion is that cold weather made the event happen. It was chilly that day, and that probably made the kid jump the turnstile and the cop bust his head open.

I'm speaking about something that some folks don't like to air out in public.  That's the real problem...cold-induced violence isn't something that folks want to discuss and the thought of it existing is supposedly a "non-issue" hence why no one brought up cold issue aside from me and a few others in here, but it exists, and it isn't just because of this one incident either.

The only time you seem to appear is when I post.  How interesting...  <_<

LOL.

Please don't flatter yourself.

My opinion is that cold weather made the event happen. It was chilly that day, and that probably made the kid jump the turnstile and the cop bust his head open.

I'm speaking about something that some folks don't like to air out in public.  That's the real problem...cold-induced violence isn't something that folks want to discuss and the thought of it existing is supposedly a "non-issue" hence why no one brought up cold issue aside from me and a few others in here, but it exists, and it isn't just because of this one incident either.

LOL.

Please don't flatter yourself.

Very funny... Cold weather usually keeps thugs inside not outside...

I wouldn't call your "coincidence" flattery.  More like pathetic.  Whatever your problem is with me you need to get over it already and move on.  Several people besides myself have done same thing in this thread which is voice their opinion, and last time I checked that is perfectly fine.  Agree to disagree and leave me the hell alone.

Very funny... Cold weather usually keeps thugs inside not outside...

I wouldn't call your "coincidence" flattery.  More like pathetic.  Whatever your problem is with me you need to get over it already and move on.  Several people besides myself have done same thing in this thread which is voice their opinion, and last time I checked that is perfectly fine.  Agree to disagree and leave me the hell alone.

Simply restating what needs to be proven....nice intelligent way to go about things. :rolleyes:

Sure, it's your opinion.

And the last time I checked, I am allowed to have an opinion about that too and post here as well.

Simply restating what needs to be proven....nice intelligent way to go about things. :rolleyes:

Sure, it's your opinion.

And the last time I checked, I am allowed to have an opinion about that too and post here as well.

Sure you are, but the forum rules state that personal attacks aren't allowed, yet you go out of your way to take cheap shots just for the hell of it, and it just happens to be a coincidence that it seems as if all of your posts are centered around me.  

Sure you are, but the forum rules state that personal attacks aren't allowed, yet you go out of your way to take cheap shots just for the hell of it, and it just happens to be a coincidence that it seems as if all of your posts are centered around me.  

Show the personal attack....demonstrate it.  PROVE IT. Unless anyone who dares challenge your opinions is personally attacking you....

All of my posts? Please get real. Think for a moment--I rarely post here. You have thousands of posts. Odds are good that I will "bump" into you--even when I don't want to--can't help that. The vast majority of my small amount of posts have had nothing to do with you.

Can't help it that you make posts that I consider to be extremely offensive insulting different class and racial groups. So, yes, I respond.

Please don't pretend you haven't heard this before.

You say these things and when you get challenged, it's a "personal attack".

SMFH. Another cop who thinks he's tough sh*t on a power trip decides to beat someone up over a stupid dispute like this. 

What people don't get is the NYPD provides services on the subway under contract with and paid for by the MTA. The MTA could theoretically respond to repeated abuse of its customers by ending the NYPD policing contract for the subways at the end of its next term and bring in the MTAPD. It's an idea and something the TA could do to get back at the NYPD, not like anyone on the MTA board cares about NYPD brutality and would actually consider that (the costs of using in-house police are probably much more than contracting out) anyways.

The "contract" is a legality. The City is the outright owner of the subway system, the Transit Authority is a lessor/operator. the MTA is only involved because the persons on the MTA board are also appointed to the TA board. The lease also gives the city the right, on one year's notice, to remove the MTA/TA as the system's operator. 

I don't think he acted out of emotion at all.  I think he just thought he was putting that guy in his place...

Then he shouldn't be a cop. 

It is UNFATHOMABLE to me that anybody can watch a video of a grown man whipping a boy in the head with a stick until he bleeds, all over a $2.50 fare, and find that at all acceptable. 

It doesn't matter how old he is. Yes, cop broke protocol, but someone who is 20 years old is certainly not a "boy" or a "kid" as people are making him out to be. The 20 year old committed a crime and deserved to be arrested, with force since he resisted arrest. Clubbed in the face? No...no one is saying that. But the officer had injuries too...obviously there was some sort of part of a scuffle that wasn't caught on tape. He was clubbed not because it's official NYPD officer, but because he got the officer scared for his safety.

Just like if you break into my house with a baseball bat and start swinging it at me, if I happen to be in the kitchen, one of those knives will be going right through you. Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6, as the saying goes.

Still, let's lose the sensationalist journalistic bullshit. Stealing $2.50 is still stealing. If I stole a cent from every person in America, is it a serious crime? Or is it "just 600 million meaningless crimes, god, why are the cops worried about it?" Stop using this as a catalyst to encourage the NYPD to selectively enforce laws on the books. Stop using this a catalyst to air grievances about the entire NYPD, which has many fine officers, or to promote an idiotic separatist racial agenda that boils down to "we don't want to get along with those guys" when racism is beyond stupid and outdated at this point in human history, and this nation faces far greater challenges than whether the white people and the brown people and the black people and the yellow people and the red people and the sand colored people can all get along. Laws exist for a reason...and one of the biggest reasons for inequality in our society today is the lack of consistent enforcement...that a rich millionaire can go smoke pot in his mansion but a bunch of moron kids who don't have the means to do that, will go smoke pot in the street, get busted, and cry racism. The biggest issues in America in regards to laws is the criminal justice system's excessive leniency with chronic criminals, and inconsistency in enforcement. We don't need more laws, we need a few tweaks to existing ones to make them better, and enforcement of what we have.

As for this 20 year old...people need to grow up and stop acting like little kids until their late 20s. The mental development of people is worse than ever these days. Adults are behaving like retarded teenagers. High school used to be a phase, now it's something that lasts until life beats you down with bills or responsibilities, which for most people is in the mid to late 20s, but if you're rich or want to be all gangster and just brush off ALL responsibilities, high school idiot mentality can last well into your forties and fifties these days...

Show the personal attack....demonstrate it.  PROVE IT. Unless anyone who dares challenge your opinions is personally attacking you....

All of my posts? Please get real. Think for a moment--I rarely post here. You have thousands of posts. Odds are good that I will "bump" into you--even when I don't want to--can't help that. The vast majority of my small amount of posts have had nothing to do with you.

Can't help it that you make posts that I consider to be extremely offensive insulting different class and racial groups. So, yes, I respond.

Please don't pretend you haven't heard this before.

You say these things and when you get challenged, it's a "personal attack".

That's the whole point... You don't post here often and it seems as if when you do it's about me.  You find my posts offensive... Well that's your problem, not mine, and it's clear that you just can't get over it.  We haven't been discussing very controversial topics of late anyway aside from this one, so spare me with the you're so butt hurt about my "insulting" posts.

It doesn't matter how old he is. Yes, cop broke protocol, but someone who is 20 years old is certainly not a "boy" or a "kid" as people are making him out to be. The 20 year old committed a crime and deserved to be arrested, with force since he resisted arrest. Clubbed in the face? No...no one is saying that. But the officer had injuries too...obviously there was some sort of part of a scuffle that wasn't caught on tape. He was clubbed not because it's official NYPD officer, but because he got the officer scared for his safety.

Just like if you break into my house with a baseball bat and start swinging it at me, if I happen to be in the kitchen, one of those knives will be going right through you. Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6, as the saying goes.

Still, let's lose the sensationalist journalistic bullshit. Stealing $2.50 is still stealing. If I stole a cent from every person in America, is it a serious crime? Or is it "just 600 million meaningless crimes, god, why are the cops worried about it?" Stop using this as a catalyst to encourage the NYPD to selectively enforce laws on the books. Stop using this a catalyst to air grievances about the entire NYPD, which has many fine officers, or to promote an idiotic separatist racial agenda that boils down to "we don't want to get along with those guys" when racism is beyond stupid and outdated at this point in human history, and this nation faces far greater challenges than whether the white people and the brown people and the black people and the yellow people and the red people and the sand colored people can all get along. Laws exist for a reason...and one of the biggest reasons for inequality in our society today is the lack of consistent enforcement...that a rich millionaire can go smoke pot in his mansion but a bunch of moron kids who don't have the means to do that, will go smoke pot in the street, get busted, and cry racism. The biggest issues in America in regards to laws is the criminal justice system's excessive leniency with chronic criminals, and inconsistency in enforcement. We don't need more laws, we need a few tweaks to existing ones to make them better, and enforcement of what we have.

As for this 20 year old...people need to grow up and stop acting like little kids until their late 20s. The mental development of people is worse than ever these days. Adults are behaving like retarded teenagers. High school used to be a phase, now it's something that lasts until life beats you down with bills or responsibilities, which for most people is in the mid to late 20s, but if you're rich or want to be all gangster and just brush off ALL responsibilities, high school idiot mentality can last well into your forties and fifties these days...

I agree with most of your post, but how do we know that he was resisting arrest? I didn't see anything in the video that shows that.

Archived