Why are companies like the MTA and Amtrak so hard to break into?

NYCFan9553

I would like to become a Conductor for either Amtrak or the LIRR. I've applied many times to these companies, but have never been selected to even interview. I have several years of customer service experience. It's frustrating. Unfortunately I think there are so many applicants for Conductor, so they can really pick and choose. :(    

These transit workers are essentially trusted with the safety of hundreds, if not thousands, of people every day. That is why they are selective in their choices, among other reasons.

These transit workers are essentially trusted with the safety of hundreds, if not thousands, of people every day. That is why they are selective in their choices, among other reasons.

Railroad employees are not Transit workers.

Hey P3F, I guess you highly insulted LIRR154 because the ONLY response he can give was "Railroad employees are not transit workers" even though you were asking a very valid question. Look..... All I can tell you is to keep on trying. Some people have better luck than others, but if it's something you really want to do just keep trying, OR...... Try for another craft to get your foot in the door. Good luck in your endeavors.

Hey P3F, I guess you highly insulted LIRR154 because the ONLY response he can give was "Railroad employees are not transit workers" even though you were asking a very valid question. Look..... All I can tell you is to keep on trying. Some people have better luck than others, but if it's something you really want to do just keep trying, OR...... Try for another craft to get your foot in the door. Good luck in your endeavors.

Not insulted at all . Just a little correcting. Its not really luck its more based on your background and work experience. For instance the Railroads love people who come from the airline industry and other fields where its highly safety sensitive job rules are in effect. Also jobs where a straight 9-5 and holidays off doesn't exist. My advice is to seek a job like a airport job where background checks are a big deal. In order to work at the airport you need a port authority pass which is a federal pass. A federal pass that Railroads are attracted to because most of their work in looking at your background is already done. Its not all about customer service experience its more about how safe you work and how your work record is. Just keep trying , I didn't and many others I know didn't get in from the first or second try. It takes time and perseverance. Good luck .

Also try one of the lower crafts like Station appearance maintainer which they are hiring now or coach cleaner just to get your foot in the door. Then move up. Most people in the RR's started that way even most of the bigger bosses.

Not insulted at all . Just a little correcting. Its not really luck its more based on your background and work experience. For instance the Railroads love people who come from the airline industry and other fields where its highly safety sensitive job rules are in effect. Also jobs where a straight 9-5 and holidays off doesn't exist. My advice is to seek a job like a airport job where background checks are a big deal. In order to work at the airport you need a port authority pass which is a federal pass. A federal pass that Railroads are attracted to because most of their work in looking at your background is already done. Its not all about customer service experience its more about how safe you work and how your work record is. Just keep trying , I didn't and many others I know didn't get in from the first or second try. It takes time and perseverance. Good luck .

It's all good LIRR154. That's the way it looked when the gentleman started this thread asking his question. But I know sometimes that's how Railroad employees feel. Like it's an insult. Although a Subway Motorman (like myself) and a Locomotive Engineer are two totally different crafts. Even though we both move trains. But the training is way different. Eventually I would like to be an Engineer.

It's all good LIRR154. That's the way it looked when the gentleman started this thread asking his question. But I know sometimes that's how Railroad employees feel. Like it's an insult. Although a Subway Motorman (like myself) and a Locomotive Engineer are two totally different crafts. Even though we both move trains. But the training is way different. Eventually I would like to be an Engineer.

Did you apply when it was out a couple of months ago? Alot of people was called for the open house even Motormen and employees from Metro North. I know they are trying to hire a good amount of Engineers because they are always below the number of Engineers in which they should be. With the large amount of retirement in Engine Service and the expansion to ESA coming up . They need to catch up. Plus the fact HOS kind of puts the limit where what Engineers are available to work.

A little insight from someone who's in the process now for Engineer. I have been applying for the last 3 years. 32 years old. Degree in Architecture. Work as Technical Lead Coordinator for a large financial firm (blue logo) for the last 10 years. My job requires handling of highly confidential material as well as maintaining and trouble shooting industrial commercial printers, networks, computer issues. And been working the night shift for the last 8 years. I didn't think I was ever going to get a call. Been applying for conductor, signal maintainer, and other positions in the metro north and LIRR. The email came when I least expected it. Just apply and go about your life. Let me tell you it's a strenuous process which still is not a guaranteed position. So far I passed the entry exam, initial interview, signals and definition test. Now waiting for the panel interview. And even after everything we have done it's not a guarantee. 50/50 odds. But I'll take those odds over anything.

Archived