Conductor 6601 Hiring Process

whatisacup
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.f72f46e2d83ee90d9d2e075472be7ff0.png

Conductor, Exam No. 6601

List Status: This list has been established as of 2/14/2018.

Pay: Starts at $24.33 and increases to $34.75 in the sixth year of service

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified.

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (4800's) - For Medical: (Last Known - 3470's)

Next Training Class: Unknown

Resources:

(Updated January 16, 2022)

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Lov3 qu33n said:

They reached out a while back the told me last number appointed was 7#99. Not sure what number they’re at now but getting called to do something is hopefully a step in the right direction and thank youuuu. When the lady this morning said “first pre employment” I chuckled. Like wow they’re multiple    🤭😂

Yea last# appointed was 709# but that's before the list recertified.. lol I would have been in the next class ..but I guess people who were turned down because of medical definely deserve another shot to enter the kingdom as well!

I went to pre- employment on March 16th was in there with people restored from 4000s# 🥴

Edited by Immortal11

Just now, Immortal11 said:

Yea last# appointed was 709# but that's before the list recertified.. lol I would have been in the next class ..but I guess people who were turned down because of medical definely deserve another shot to enter the kingdom as well!

I went to pre- employment on March 16th was in there with people from 4000s# 🥴

those 4000s folks are most likely from the dcas list

2 minutes ago, Immortal11 said:

I went to pre- employment on March 16th was in there with people from 4000s# 🥴

🫢. I didn’t really speak to anyone here today lol. They’re brave  though I give em that. Overheard a few people talking about different ways to fake their urine tests. It’s sad. 

Good afternoon everyone if anybody has questions in regards to this exam I might be able to help a few, I was hired off this exam back in 2019 and got promoted off exam 7604 to train operator. Have almost 4 years here not much but I might be able to answer questions people might have.

7 minutes ago, Lov3 qu33n said:

🫢. I didn’t really speak to anyone here today lol. They’re brave  though I give em that. Overheard a few people talking about different ways to fake their urine tests. It’s sad. 

Transit will find out one way or another, let them weed themselves out

41 minutes ago, Lov3 qu33n said:

They reached out a while back the told me last number appointed was 7#99. Not sure what number they’re at now but getting called to do something is hopefully a step in the right direction and thank youuuu. When the lady this morning said “first pre employment” I chuckled. Like wow they’re multiple    🤭😂

It's good for 90 days.. so what happens is... If you don't get into a class in 3 months you need to go for another.  Basically just so they can drug test you again and check any updated job history.

If you're still there try to find someone who you can exchange phone numbers with... If I didn't do that I wouldn't be working here today... because this person actually called me to say they got their offer for employment - and with a list number higher, they didn't give me mine!! That was a great heads up to have. They ended up in my class. Funny how things work out. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Milano

23 hours ago, Schecter said:

Good afternoon everyone if anybody has questions in regards to this exam I might be able to help a few, I was hired off this exam back in 2019 and got promoted off exam 7604 to train operator. Have almost 4 years here not much but I might be able to answer questions people might have.

How crazy was it for you schedule wise for the first year or two?  And how are you feeling so far?  Stressful?  Enjoy it?  Did you get to pick a location based on where you live in the beginning or do you have to go to the yard they send you to?    Thanks.

Edited by noekozz

3 minutes ago, noekozz said:

How crazy was it for you schedule wise for the first year or two?  And how are you feeling so far?  Stressful?  Enjoy it?  Did you get to pick a location based on where you live in the beginning or do you have to go to the yard they send you to?    Thanks.

Plan on your life being upside down for at least a year and a half. 

They will schedule you at random locations all week long and you will start early in the week and as the week comes closer to your day off they're going to put you on the jobs that finish you at 2:00 or 3:00 in the morning on your day off.

Still a good feeling for me, not really stressful other than the sleep schedule and figuring out the commute. The job itself is always great. The people that we work with are mostly great. The schedule and the commute is the infinitely variable thing that just needs to be reconciled with.

2 hours ago, noekozz said:

I was only a conductor for a year and some change before I went to t/o but the schedules for me worked out fine they handed us a wish list on the tour and days off we wanted(which is just a wish list) but I picked PMs with weekdays off and got weekends and then got changed to Friday and Saturday off. So far I'm feeling great as a t/o I got to pick within the first year and a half a job which is sometimes unheard of as a t/o since we move up slower than c/rs do.

In the beginning before you pick you'll have to real with the crew office assigning you jobs until you either pick or a job or win something off the bid sheets. The crew office can change your tour and days off on a week to week basis. While speaking of both titles they didn't mess with me much and kept my tours and days off the same week by week.

This job is great to be honest with you but it all depends if your drive to crawl before you walk is strong. It starts off annoying and hard but as time goes on it gets better year by year. I've been with transit for 4 years total so far and yes I've complained before but at the end of the day the job helped me afford by 1st apartment alone back in 2021 and my own first car back in 2022. 

15 minutes ago, Schecter said:

I was only a conductor for a year and some change before I went to t/o but the schedules for me worked out fine they handed us a wish list on the tour and days off we wanted(which is just a wish list) but I picked PMs with weekdays off and got weekends and then got changed to Friday and Saturday off. So far I'm feeling great as a t/o I got to pick within the first year and a half a job which is sometimes unheard of as a t/o since we move up slower than c/rs do.

In the beginning before you pick you'll have to real with the crew office assigning you jobs until you either pick or a job or win something off the bid sheets. The crew office can change your tour and days off on a week to week basis. While speaking of both titles they didn't mess with me much and kept my tours and days off the same week by week.

This job is great to be honest with you but it all depends if your drive to crawl before you walk is strong. It starts off annoying and hard but as time goes on it gets better year by year. I've been with transit for 4 years total so far and yes I've complained before but at the end of the day the job helped me afford by 1st apartment alone back in 2021 and my own first car back in 2022. 

That's basically my plan once I get my foot in the door (move up from c/r to t/o).  Thank you for the insight.  

1 hour ago, Lov3 qu33n said:

I’m still stuck on the fact that you guys have to climb the trains. Lol. I’ve heard that can be a hassle especially  if you’re on the shorter side  😂

We all gotta climb the trains lol some people didn't make it because they couldn't climb the train at coney Island yard they have us climb on the R68 sometimes people who are vertically challenged find it harder to reach, but it's something that you must be able to do in case you have the to climb down the tracks as a conductor. Us t/os have to climb down to the tracks a lot when it comes to lay ups and put ins.

13 minutes ago, Schecter said:

We all gotta climb the trains lol some people didn't make it because they couldn't climb the train at coney Island yard they have us climb on the R68 sometimes people who are vertically challenged find it harder to reach, but it's something that you must be able to do in case you have the to climb down the tracks as a conductor. Us t/os have to climb down to the tracks a lot when it comes to lay ups and put ins.

How do you climb it?...and if you get hired you put in a class that it's possible to fail?

Just now, Elvis Gonzalez said:

How do you climb it?...and if you get hired you put in a class that it's possible to fail?

3 points of contact climbing the train, and once you're in a class you can fail you have to pass the midterm and final exam with 80% and also you have practicals that are either pass or fail if you fail a practical you take it again with a superintendent. The only one you don't get a retry on is the final road practical which either you pass or get the boot sadly. The road exam is the very last exam you must pass. It's not hard if you put in the work tbh.

1 minute ago, Elvis Gonzalez said:

You always got to put 3 points of contact on the train (Ex. 2 hands 1 foot). There's a small step you use to start your climb in the front or rear of the train. And yes it's 100% possible to fail but it's hard to if you put in the work. They want you to pass and will do anything to get you the job, you just need to do your part and study. 

1 minute ago, Schecter said:

3 points of contact climbing the train, and once you're in a class you can fail you have to pass the midterm and final exam with 80% and also you have practicals that are either pass or fail if you fail a practical you take it again with a superintendent. The only one you don't get a retry on is the final road practical which either you pass or get the boot sadly. The road exam is the very last exam you must pass. It's not hard if you put in the work tbh.

How’s the work hours ? Is there a lot of mandatory overtime if you don’t want it? Is a typical work shift 10 hours ?

1 minute ago, Pkk said:

How’s the work hours ? Is there a lot of mandatory overtime if you don’t want it? Is a typical work shift 10 hours ?

Work hours vary depending on the job they give you there's no mandatory over time but jobs can be more than 8 hours which will he a penalty job. You can work your days off if there's job available for some extra OT and money. 

9 minutes ago, Apes said:

You always got to put 3 points of contact on the train (Ex. 2 hands 1 foot). There's a small step you use to start your climb in the front or rear of the train. And yes it's 100% possible to fail but it's hard to if you put in the work. They want you to pass and will do anything to get you the job, you just need to do your part and study. 

So you get material that to study etc like books hand outs?...I ask because I have a very good job in the banking field that I'm willing to leave for this role...I got pre employment tomorrow...and I'm freaking out....do you recommend getting there very early!!

10 minutes ago, Elvis Gonzalez said:

So you get material that to study etc like books hand outs?...I ask because I have a very good job in the banking field that I'm willing to leave for this role...I got pre employment tomorrow...and I'm freaking out....do you recommend getting there very early!!

I believe they do get books and stuff to study. My friend started with them last year she said a few people from her class left because they couldn’t climb the trains. Is this your first pre employment? I went yesterday 6:30. Bunch of people there. You basically go in and line up drop your documents and they give you a form to consent your drug test. They call you back and you go over anything you may have missed. Fill out the entire form. Everything. Go as far back as HS. If there’s a gap in employment put the dates and write unemployed. The wait for the drug test imo is long for absolutely no reason. I literally waited 4 hours. After that you go home and wait to be called back. 🤭

Edited by Lov3 qu33n

1 hour ago, Lov3 qu33n said:

I believe they do get books and stuff to study. My friend started with them last year she said a few people from her class left because they couldn’t climb the trains. Is this your first pre employment? I went yesterday 6:30. Bunch of people there. You basically go in and line up drop your documents and they give you a form to consent your drug test. They call you back and you go over anything you may have missed. Fill out the entire form. Everything. Go as far back as HS. If there’s a gap in employment put the dates and write unemployed. The wait for the drug test imo is long for absolutely no reason. I literally waited 4 hours. After that you go home and wait to be called back. 🤭

Yes my first pre employment lol you making sound like it'll be more than one..