Conductor 6601 Hiring Process

whatisacup
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.f72f46e2d83ee90d9d2e075472be7ff0.png

Conductor, Exam No. 6601

List Status: This list has been established as of 2/14/2018.

Pay: Starts at $24.33 and increases to $34.75 in the sixth year of service

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified.

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (4800's) - For Medical: (Last Known - 3470's)

Next Training Class: Unknown

Resources:

(Updated January 16, 2022)

3 minutes ago, Comrade96 said:

youll learn all the stops as you keep working dont worry about that.

Id say the hardest part is memorizing all the steps on how to cut out doors abd isolate cars during both practicals

You have to do cut-out on the road practical to? 

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, goliver28 said:

The very first day is going to be orientation. The second day you’ll meet union reps. You’ll have multiple people explaining things you can benefit from like 401(k) & all those other things. Also at some point you’ll meet a few TSS(train service supervisor) and you’ll get your pass ID. The third day and onward it’ll be classroom & trains. I believe on the 4th day you’ll be walking on the tracks and climbing onto the train in the Coney Island yard

This is true - and don't be in a rush to buy everything they try to sell you at the union meeting. There will be reps there for disability insurance and life insurance and all kinds of things - not necessarily bad - but you may want to look at your paycheck before you buy into these. You can always do it later!!

On 11/24/2023 at 8:27 AM, goliver28 said:

Yes it’s 8 hours Monday - Friday. If there’s a holiday then they will substitute that day for the following Saturday instead. 

They do weekends now in the regular schedule.... And some holidays you will work. I worked Labor Day.

Edited by Milano

4 minutes ago, Amir said:

Nah never, I took my OPA may 19th and still haven’t heard anything 

SMH my number is 115** 

now that I’m thinking even tho I did my OPA may 19 my chances are slim of being called. That’s why they said my name is still on the list on the email they sent me. Hopefully I have a chance. 

You don’t necessarily have to bring it on the first day but you will be given papers so I’d recommend it. I recommend KAKA travel backpack. You can find it on Amazon. A lot of people(including myself) got that bag. It’s recommended because of all the equipment and books you gotta carry(especially that heavy conductors induction book). 

Edited by goliver28

1 hour ago, goliver28 said:

You don’t necessarily have to bring it on the first day but you will be given papers so I’d recommend it. I recommend KAKA travel backpack. You can find it on Amazon. A lot of people(including myself) got that bag. It’s recommended because of all the equipment and books you gotta carry(especially that heavy conductors induction book). 

Thank you for being so helpful ! I’m about to order the bag now 

2 hours ago, goliver28 said:

The infamous rookie bag..

So many people have that around the system because of this forum.

Soon as I got off probation I ditched that bag lol. You guys can really get away with any standard high school book bag to start. I would recommend bringing in your old JanSport and buying something else if you decide it's not enough.

The rule they enforce strictly In Schoolcar  with bags is that the shoulder straps be removable or, in the Kaka’s case, coverable, so that they can’t get snagged on something.

Such as, for example… a moving train passing you.

You will be taking your stuff with you when you go on road operations. in the event of the road blowing up, once your full 8 hours hits, instructor TSSs will send you home from wherever you are when the happens. The classroom side of being a student does not give overtime.

22 hours ago, Milano said:

This is true - and don't be in a rush to buy everything they try to sell you at the union meeting. There will be reps there for disability insurance and life insurance and all kinds of things - not necessarily bad - but you may want to look at your paycheck before you buy into these. You can always do it later!!

Yes this is absolutely right. They’ll come with a lot of things and it’ll be very convincing. I had to decline a few because as much as I liked the idea, that was just too much money. You can always sign up later. Wait till you get a few checks and you can buy into more of these things if you like. 

Went down on 9-22-23 and was put on medical hold for OSA, long story short my machine came and im on in for 12 days now with 18 more to go, my list number is 90xx will I still have a chance to get in before the list end date? Or it’s a wrap? I know the drug test expired for me and my medical might be expired as well, also will I be taken off the list? Appreciate anyone who can help with the answer 

1 hour ago, MikeBonds said:

Went down on 9-22-23 and was put on medical hold for OSA, long story short my machine came and im on in for 12 days now with 18 more to go, my list number is 90xx will I still have a chance to get in before the list end date? Or it’s a wrap? I know the drug test expired for me and my medical might be expired as well, also will I be taken off the list? Appreciate anyone who can help with the answer 

You’ll be taken off the list if you’re not off medical hold by the time the class starts. Normally there’s 2 classes so if you miss the second one then your name is off the list. It happened to me last year with that same situation as yours.

17 minutes ago, goliver28 said:

You’ll be taken off the list if you’re not off medical hold by the time the class starts. Normally there’s 2 classes so if you miss the second one then your name is off the list. It happened to me last year with that same situation as yours.

youll be taken off the list after 90 days if you dont clear your medical hold by then 

21 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

The rule they enforce strictly In Schoolcar  with bags is that the shoulder straps be removable or, in the Kaka’s case, coverable, so that they can’t get snagged on something.

Such as, for example… a moving train passing you.

You will be taking your stuff with you when you go on road operations. in the event of the road blowing up, once your full 8 hours hits, instructor TSSs will send you home from wherever you are when the happens. The classroom side of being a student does not give overtime.

They really didn't care at all in my school car experience. You just had to carry your bag over the tracks if the straps weren't breakaway.

There is a bag with one shoulder strap designed to break away in an emergency. One of my TSS had it. I never could find out where to buy one and he forgot the brand (wasn't marked).... But that's another option if it can be found.

Edited by Milano

11 hours ago, goliver28 said:

11 hours ago, goliver28 said:

Damn sounds like it’s a wrap for me, seeing previous post about the list ending in February and DCAS not accepting any more reinstatements, my 30 days will be 12-20-23 on the machine and my Medical will expire on 12-23-23, gotta see the Doc for the clearance as well, man this sucks lol