Riding in luxury on the local

lol... Those are old MCI's anyway that will likely be junked.  Those buses certainly aren't "luxury".  The batch out of Meredith are horrible.  I've literally almost been stuck in my rear a few times by nails coming through the seats because the cushions are so worn out and haven't been changed.  In fact I can recall being on several express buses like that.  Terrible.  

You say that Meredith has horrible batches, then what's a Prevost 2522 doing there???

They only have ONE new bus.  They rest are all old MCIs.  They have some of the oldest buses currently since they mainly do rush hour trips.  Trust me they are horrible.  The last one I rode out of Meredith was an X12. The bus was disgusting. I have never hesitated to sit down on an express bus and this one was so bad that I did just that.  I think if I could've stood the entire time I would've.  Dirty interior... Dust everywhere... Seats were in terrible shape (sunken in from overuse and lack of replacement).  Just all around bad.

You say that Meredith has horrible batches, then what's a Prevost 2522 doing there???

That Prevost is there for experience for future delivery as Meredith is also listed for the new prevosts

I have yet to use the express bus. Do they take unlimited metrocards?

They only take the Express Bus Plus card, which is an unlimited Metrocard that is good on the express bus, local bus or subway, which is $57.25 per week.  The standard unlimited card will not work and "INVALID CARD" will appear if you try to dip it.  The other option is to use a pay-per-ride Metrocard at $6.50 per ride unless you are a senior citizen and use it outside of peak hours, then you get half off.

I imagine that this particular express bus accepted regular Metrocards because it's signage was for a local bus, so the farebox was probably programmed accordingly.

Oh wow that kind of sucks. No one wonder some people going to the city have to get off the QM4 in the morning. They think they could use their regular metrocards with whatever amount they have on it greater than $6.50 and they have to use the crowded Q64 instead. In my opinion I think that is one of the reasons why express buses aren't used heavily like they should. I use the (M) train in the morning because those (E) are so packed you can't even move. Stuff up against the doors what a shame.

Oh wow that kind of sucks. No one wonder some people going to the city have to get off the QM4 in the morning. They think they could use their regular metrocards with whatever amount they have on it greater than $6.50 and they have to use the crowded Q64 instead. In my opinion I think that is one of the reasons why express buses aren't used heavily like they should. I use the (M) train in the morning because those (E) are so packed you can't even move. Stuff up against the doors what a shame.

If the LIRR and QM4 were as cheap as the subway, a lot more people would be using them. lol  They cost more because of the amenities that they offer, and they can be faster than the subway.

Archived