25 percent of MTA workers earned six-figure salaries last year

Listen the fact of the matter is that there are LAZY people in ALL industries. To pretend like there aren't people on the "front lines" that are lazy in the (MTA) is just delusional. We all have two eyes (some people have four) so unless you're completely blind, I'm sure you have encountered the occasional lazy worker.

You're right, which is why I said there are two kinds of workers, the workers, and the position fillers. The problem is, the general public (an the media on slow news days) tends to take the approach that MOST (MTA) workers are lazy based on the one worker they see "standing around" every three months or so.

I can tell you this: the hard working (MTA) employees feel the same way as the public does about seeing a fellow worker slacking off. However, chances are the employees actually know when someone is slacking off versus thinking they are based on a 10-second assessment. This is not to say that the public always gets it wrong, though.

When my bus home was 25 minutes late one afternoon (it ran on 30 minute headways), I had a suspicion that the parked bus on the other side of the parking lot was supposed to be it. I only had confirmation when a road supervisor walked up to the bus, boarded it, walked to the back, and woke up the driver sleeping in the back seat. Of the 12 months I rode that bus daily, that was the only time that happened. Most people keep that in their head for ammunition to complain about "constantly" poor service. I just laughed as I told the confused driver running the interval behind the sleeper why there was another bus of his route right in front of him, and why I was the only one getting on board his bus.

Edit: I can also tell you this: the sleeper still worked the route, but was never late again.

You're right, which is why I said there are two kinds of workers, the workers, and the position fillers. The problem is, the general public (an the media on slow news days) tends to take the approach that MOST (MTA) workers are lazy based on the one worker they see "standing around" every three months or so.

I can tell you this: the hard working (MTA) employees feel the same way as the public does about seeing a fellow worker slacking off. However, chances are the employees actually know when someone is slacking off versus thinking they are based on a 10-second assessment. This is not to say that the public always gets it wrong, though.

When my bus home was 25 minutes late one afternoon (it ran on 30 minute headways), I had a suspicion that the parked bus on the other side of the parking lot was supposed to be it. I only had confirmation when a road supervisor walked up to the bus, boarded it, walked to the back, and woke up the driver sleeping in the back seat. Of the 12 months I rode that bus daily, that was the only time that happened. Most people keep that in their head for ammunition to complain about "constantly" poor service. I just laughed as I told the confused driver running the interval behind the sleeper why there was another bus of his route right in front of him, and why I was the only one getting on board his bus.

The public isn't as stupid as you may believe.  Lots of clueless people, but plenty of people that pay attention.  

The public isn't as stupid as you may believe. Lots of clueless people, but plenty of people that pay attention.

To quote Agent K in MIB "A person is smart. people are dumb."

The problem is the clueless people are the ones who talk the loudest and sway public opinion, which in turn sways official policy. A bus operator in DC got written up for asking the passengers if someone could translate for a non-English speaking passenger trying to communicate with him. A passenger on the bus thought his question was rude and racist.

There was a big story in the Washington DC area news outlets this week about how DC Metro found asbestos in their oldest cars. Their source: a procurement contract released for bid for the decommissioning and removal of the oldest passenger cars in the system. The contract included asbestos removal for a couple components originally built into the cars but isolated from the public space. They didn't find it, it was part of the design, but nobody asked. Clueless, but loud.

To quote Agent K in MIB "A person is smart. people are dumb."

The problem is the clueless people are the ones who talk the loudest and sway public opinion, which in turn sways official policy. A bus operator in DC got written up for asking the passengers if someone could translate for a non-English speaking passenger trying to communicate with him. A passenger on the bus thought his question was rude and racist.

There was a big story in the Washington DC area news outlets this week about how DC Metro found asbestos in their oldest cars. Their source: a procurement contract released for bid for the decommissioning and removal of the oldest passenger cars in the system. The contract included asbestos removal for a couple components originally built into the cars but isolated from the public space. They didn't find it, they knew, but nobody asked. Clueless, but loud.

Depending on how the operator asked, it could very well be construed as rude and racist because it gives off the impression that the driver couldn't be bothered to try to understand the person because they're "the other" if you will (i.e. have an accent, speak differently, etc.)  Nevertheless, the media frenzy exists everywhere.  Their job is to sell the news.

Depending on how the operator asked, it could very well be construed as rude and racist because it gives off the impression that the driver couldn't be bothered to try to understand the person because they're "the other" if you will (i.e. have an accent, speak differently, etc.) Nevertheless, the media frenzy exists everywhere. Their job is to sell the news.

Something along the lines of "Does anybody speak _______?" Out loud after trying to work with the passenger for a few minutes. As a rider, tell me how it feels to have someone failing to understand the operator's instructions as you wait at a bus stop for a few minutes, with no resolution in sight. Multiply that times 50 and add a mandatory schedule to follow and rush hour traffic driving, and I think even just asking for assistance shows a character to serve, not dismiss.

The news has to sell, so we're good that they broadcast incorrectly presented information to incite fear and project an image of incompetency in a situation where neither is the case? That is usually what the news does with public transportation agencies. That is my problem with the article originally posted.

Something along the lines of "Does anybody speak _______?" Out loud after trying to work with the passenger for a few minutes. As a rider, tell me how it feels to have someone failing to understand the operator's instructions as you wait at a bus stop for a few minutes, with no resolution in sight. Multiply that times 50 and add a mandatory schedule to follow and rush hour traffic driving, and I think even just asking for assistance shows a character to serve, not dismiss.

The news has to sell, so we're good that they broadcast incorrectly presented information to incite fear and project an image of incompetency in a situation where neither is the case? That is usually what the news does with public transportation agencies. That is my problem with the article originally posted.

Usually but not always...

The public isn't as stupid as you may believe.  Lots of clueless people, but plenty of people that pay attention.  

Nobody notices the intelligent people in the public because they pay attention, don't cause scenes, and blend in.

The idiots are loud, obnoxious, irrational, and it takes 40 times to explain the most basic things to them. They don't, won't, or can't read, and have to ask the same question multiple times of multiple people to get multiple answers, and usually choose the wrong one anyway. And then they complain loudest.

To quote Carlin, "why do those who know the least know it the loudest?"

Nobody notices the intelligent people in the public because they pay attention, don't cause scenes, and blend in.

The idiots are loud, obnoxious, irrational, and it takes 40 times to explain the most basic things to them. They don't, won't, or can't read, and have to ask the same question multiple times of multiple people to get multiple answers, and usually choose the wrong one anyway. And then they complain loudest.

^^^^^ POST OF THE THREAD...... 

^^^^^ POST OF THE THREAD...... 

Nice way to deflect attention from the topic at hand. What a surprise... <_<  

Nice way to deflect attention from the topic at hand. What a surprise... <_<  

LOL please go ride your buses.... 

The Topic at hand is this thread which i have commented on.

Just stop

He cant help himself that is why i laugh at folks like him...

LOL please go ride your buses.... 

The Topic at hand is this thread which i have commented on.

He cant help himself that is why i laugh at folks like him...

LOL.... And said nothing all at the same time... I'm sure you'll be riding your trains..... I find your kind equally amusing.

LOL.... And said nothing all at the same time... I'm sure you'll be riding your trains..... I find your kind equally amusing.

You know if you looked hard enough and paid attention I actually work for the MTA......

It's ok though ..... I'll keep laughing I don't want this thread to get locked so I'll leave you alone....

Archived