25 percent of MTA workers earned six-figure salaries last year

That's not just limited to transit employees, of course..... I hate to put it like this, but that's the sacrifice one makes for working shitloads of OT like that for a 30,40, 50+ year career - Make boo koo (beaucoup) bucks & not live long enough to really enjoy it.....

As a deceased family member of mines used to say, "Stress builds, Stress kills".....

If the "Eagle team" are considered MTA police, those dudes don't f*** around... They work.

Assuming they're not... Well, the only ones (MTA police) I tend to see (the most) are the canine/K-9 units.... Usually at major stations, and they don't appear to be doing much of anything from what I see..... The Highway unit don't appear to be doing much either, of the few times I've seen em.... The ESU I've never seen..... If there's any other units of MTA police, I wouldn't know.....

HAHA noooo. Eagle Team guys are not licensed peace/police officers by any means. They essentially have the same authority as meter maids, i.e. writing civil tickets. I laugh because I once was talking to an MTA Police Officer who went on a whole rant about how the MTA claims the Eagle Team is a bunch of retired cops, but most of them are actually, shall we say, not the brightest individuals who could not cut the academy. 

HAHA noooo. Eagle Team guys are not licensed peace/police officers by any means. They essentially have the same authority as meter maids, i.e. writing civil tickets. I laugh because I once was talking to an MTA Police Officer who went on a whole rant about how the MTA claims the Eagle Team is a bunch of retired cops, but most of them are actually, shall we say, not the brightest individuals who could not cut the academy. 

I've only dealt with the Eagle Team once when I was getting off of an M15SBS at 50th and 2nd. That's the only time I've seen them in the years I've been using SBS service.  I had a bunch of Whole Foods bags in my hands and of course the guys waited until I stepped off of the bus to ask for it.  They were patient and respectful seeing that I had bags, but I would've been quite annoyed if I was in a hurry. 

I've only dealt with the Eagle Team once when I was getting off of an M15SBS at 50th and 2nd. That's the only time I've seen them in the years I've been using SBS service.  I had a bunch of Whole Foods bags in my hands and of course the guys waited until I stepped off of the bus to ask for it.  They were patient and respectful seeing that I had bags, but I would've been quite annoyed if I was in a hurry. 

They are respectful enough when I've seen them. But they show up so rarely that I always stick my ticket in my back pocket or whatever, so when they actually show up I need to stand around for a minute until I can fish out the stupid little ticket. And one time I accidentally dropped the receipt so they wrote me a ticket and I had to mail in my metrocard serial number and a notarized letter to get the ticket dismissed. Such a pain in the butt. They should have a way to check if your metrocard was recently used to pay for the bus. 

They are respectful enough when I've seen them. But they show up so rarely that I always stick my ticket in my back pocket or whatever, so when they actually show up I need to stand around for a minute until I can fish out the stupid little ticket. And one time I accidentally dropped the receipt so they wrote me a ticket and I had to mail in my metrocard serial number and a notarized letter to get the ticket dismissed. Such a pain in the butt. They should have a way to check if your metrocard was recently used to pay for the bus. 

LOL! Sometimes I think about not even bothering to get the damn ticket, esp. if it means missing the bus. I've only had them once in the years I've been using it and the M34 is so infrequent that for the distance that I go on it I wouldn't mind risking it.  As I got off of the M15, there was an M34 pulling into 1st and 34th, but there were enough people boarding that I didn't have to risk it.  I was only going to 3rd anyway to get the BxM1, but with my Whole Foods bags and the heat on Thursday I was certainly not walking to 3rd up that hill.  

I wish there was an Eagle Team for some of these B/Os that take the most ridiculous ways.  I got a Super Express BxM1 (the 15:30) to be exact... Took me two hours to get to Riverdale because she insisted on taking the RFK knowing how much traffic there would be.  Unbelievable.  I took a nap for almost an hour and we were still on the Deegan. 

LOL! Sometimes I think about not even bothering to get the damn ticket, esp. if it means missing the bus. I've only had them once in the years I've been using it and the M34 is so infrequent that for the distance that I go on it I wouldn't mind risking it.  

You're stealing fares and stiill have the audacity to attack MTA employees for providing the service you're jacking?

You're stealing fares and stiill have the audacity to attack MTA employees for providing the service you're jacking?

Stealing what fares?  Thinking and doing are two different things. I said sometimes I THINK ABOUT not getting the ticket when I'm in a hurry.  I have always boarded SBS buses with a ticket, so spare me with the rhetoric.  I have an unlimited express bus pass anyway so I'm not stealing anything. The (MTA) has my money in advance whether I use the pass or not, but nice try. lol  I agree with QM1 that for customers with passes like ourselves, there should be a different procedure in place.  We're only getting the ticket for the hell since we have passes.

Lol but if it was an Express Bus he will complain people need to pay their fare.

I think you need to learn how to read.... Jumping on band a wagon that's heading in the wrong direction.  :lol:

^This lol

But in reality, you can't really compare express bus service to local bus service when it comes to fare evading.

It's a moot point since I pay regardless of what bus I'm on.  

ourselves, there should be a different procedure in place.  

We're

we

Hard to deny that elitism now.  Blaming the bad apples among the hundreds if not thousands of B/Os, T/O's, and all other non-HQ personnel is judgmental.  Harp on them, sure, but does anyone here give a rat's ass about your Whole Paycheck bags and express buses?  If it isn't obvious, I'd get your head checked, inside and out.

Hard to deny that elitism now.  Blaming the bad apples among the hundreds if not thousands of B/Os, T/O's, and all other non-HQ personnel is judgmental.  Harp on them, sure, but does anyone here give a rat's ass about your Whole Paycheck bags and express buses?  If it isn't obvious, I'd get your head checked, inside and out.

Blah blah blah says the Little Man Up Front. There. :lol:

From someone who is in RTO those who make close to six figures and I'm gonna put this in caps for those who have comprehension issues....

THEY HAVE NO LIFE... Working days off late clears spending God knows how many hours on the train...

For what? You retire live two,years and die I have seen this pattern a lot. So if you wanna make money in RTO you will earn every bloody nickle.

For the other agencies I cannot comment since I don't work for them.

Ha!

Let's also not forgot for those who are reading comprehension deficient, that most of those who made 6 figures are LIRR, not Metro-North.

P.S. I don't work voluntary OT. I know how to life within my means.

Those earning a lot through overtime doesn't really bother me if the overtime is justified. Not all of it is. What annoys me are those who moved up the ranks by doing very little their entire career and know the ropes well enough to do as little as possible to get by like working two or three hours a day for a $100,000 + salary. I knew many like that in my career, except then they were only earning 75,000. No one would miss them if they weren't there. A co-worker of mine did little more than buy the boss coffee and lunch, status reports, and personnel evaluations for $94,000 just before he retired.

Those earning a lot through overtime doesn't really bother me if the overtime is justified. Not all of it is. What annoys me are those who moved up the ranks by doing very little their entire career and know the ropes well enough to do as little as possible to get by like working two or three hours a day for a $100,000 + salary. I knew many like that in my career, except then they were only earning 75,000. No one would miss them if they weren't there. A co-worker of mine did little more than buy the boss coffee and lunch, status reports, and personnel evaluations for $94,000 just before he retired.

And that's where the real waste is....

Today is my Sunday and I'm about to go into work for 8 hours @ 1.5x. Does that mean I am the enemy?

And yes, I am actually going to be WORKING since I'm covering someone's job who is on vacation this week.

Oh please.  We're not talking about legitimate overtime.  We're talking about those that purposely milk the system. I don't know if you've ever worked in the (MTA) offices, but I have, and I can confirm what BrooklynBus says about the types earning large salaries that do practically nothing in return.

Oh please. We're not talking about legitimate overtime. We're talking about those that purposely milk the system. I don't know if you've ever worked in the (MTA) offices, but I have, and I can confirm what BrooklynBus says about the types earning large salaries that do practically nothing in return.

Since when? I gotta hear this so called story

Since when? I gotta hear this so called story

What so called story? We've both worked for the (MTA) before and neither of us have to lie about it.  I interned for them for two summers and my uncle has worked for them since I was a kid for 20+ years. I had a boss that did absolutely NOTHING.  Delegated duties, and closed his door and slept day after day.  I would say that the real waste still exists inside the offices moreso than in the fields.  It's all about who you know.  They've attempted to cut waste in some areas, but there's still plenty of fat that could be trimmed in others.

Why would you care either way about people who work or don't work?  I care because I work and pay taxes, but for people who don't work, I don't see why they would care either way.  

Let's also not forgot for those who are reading comprehension deficient, that most of those who made 6 figures are LIRR, not Metro-North.

P.S. I don't work voluntary OT. I know how to life within my means.

True and you know what? Im not gonna hate on them either if those agencies wanna  pay em so what...

Oh please.  We're not talking about legitimate overtime.  We're talking about those that purposely milk the system. I don't know if you've ever worked in the (MTA) offices, but I have, and I can confirm what BrooklynBus says about the types earning large salaries that do practically nothing in return.

Snowblock is being sarcastic... 

Its an acquired  taste...

The problem with this article is that the data is skewed, as was pointed out, but people are too lazy to think critically. Thus many see what the media wants them to see. The public has absolutely no clue how many parts go into making this system work.

As was said many times, the front line workers deserve the paycheck they get. I've worked the front line in GOs directing the public, and it's not easy. There are two ways to make your name known in operations: work hard or fulfill your job requirements. I'm pretty sure that those who make six figures are the ones working their butts off to get that money. Supervisors get the say in who works OT outside of normal operations.

I think B/O's have one of the most hazardous positions in any major agency. The amount of responsibility in their hands is tremendous: dealing face to face with the public, their vehicle, and the other vehicles they share the road with. Their pay should reflect the large responsibility they have.

VG8, you can't really fault people for arguing with you; you spent the first 4 pages of this thread ragging on front line workers (MTA Police and your 'lazy' B/O) as the cause of this "waste" before changing your tone in the last couple posts.

The problem with this article is that the data is skewed, as was pointed out, but people are too lazy to think critically. Thus many see what the media wants them to see. The public has absolutely no clue how many parts go into making this system work.

As was said many times, the front line workers deserve the paycheck they get. I've worked the front line in GOs directing the public, and it's not easy. There are two ways to make your name known in operations: work hard or fulfill your job requirements. I'm pretty sure that those who make six figures are the ones working their butts off to get that money. Supervisors get the say in who works OT outside of normal operations.

I think B/O's have one of the most hazardous positions in any major agency. The amount of responsibility in their hands is tremendous: dealing face to face with the public, their vehicle, and the other vehicles they share the road with. Their pay should reflect the large responsibility they have.

VG8, you can't really fault people for arguing with you; you spent the first 4 pages of this thread ragging on front line workers (MTA Police and your 'lazy' B/O) as the cause of this "waste" before changing your tone in the last couple posts.

Listen the fact of the matter is that there are LAZY people in ALL industries.  To pretend like there aren't people on the "front lines" that are lazy in the (MTA) is just delusional.  We all have two eyes (some people have four) so unless you're completely blind, I'm sure you have encountered the occasional lazy worker.

Archived